Gonzaga Big Men | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga Big Men

Jeremy L.

2018 Iggy Regular Season Record Winner
This is what the "experts" are saying will push Gonzaga to the Elite 8 if they win. What do we think of Wiltjer and Sabonis? What will the boys need to do to stop/contain them? Are you concerned?

Personally, I'm not concerned with Sabonis. Completely different players but in 2013, everybody thought Cody Zeller was the "zone killer" and look what happened.

OrangeYaGladi said:
Zeller was a great college player. But he had to deal with Christmas and Keita, not Coleman and Lydon.

You forgot Roberson. Those 3 may not equal Christmas/Keita, but I'm not sure Sabonis and big W are that much better than Zeller.

They have the tools to exploit us down low, no doubt. But we'll see.

One of the things that drives me nuts is that every game is about the other team vs our zone.

How is Gonzaga's D against G? Can they keep MR out of the paint on drives? How do they match up with Lydon who can play down low or pop out to hit silky 3's?

We can get stagnant on offense - but we create a ton of match up issues.

This is what the "experts" are saying will push Gonzaga to the Elite 8 if they win. What do we think of Wiltjer and Sabonis? What will the boys need to do to stop/contain them? Are you concerned?

Personally, I'm not concerned with Sabonis. Completely different players but in 2013, everybody thought Cody Zeller was the "zone killer" and look what happened.

I don't think they are any better than the UNC front line. Now I know we lost to them, twice. But that is more experience for our guys to draw from. Long rebounds in the zone don't always favor big men either, and if W wants to stand at the arc to shoot jumpers, then he really isn't a big man threat at all, is he?

Good pressure on their guards to break down their flow, and help D when they do dump it down into Sabonis are what I would emphasize this week.

One of the things that drives me nuts is that every game is about the other team vs our zone.

How is Gonzaga's D against G? Can they keep MR out of the paint on drives? How do they match up with Lydon who can play down low or pop out to hit silky 3's?

We can get stagnant on offense - but we create a ton of match up issues.
Great guard play often trumps great big play in college ball, especially in March. Should be interesting!

The teams that have really exploited us this year, ie UNC, Va, UL, Miami, Pitt- had very good to great big play AND guard play imo. Will the zags have both? We shall see

Sabonis will be the best big guy we play this year. Swap him with any big in the ACC and his numbers would be better than the trade partner. They are going to dominate the 5 spot. We need to break even at the 4 and win the 1-3.

I don't think they are any better than the UNC front line. Now I know we lost to them, twice. But that is more experience for our guys to draw from. Long rebounds in the zone don't always favor big men either, and if W wants to stand at the arc to shoot jumpers, then he really isn't a big man threat at all, is he?

Good pressure on their guards to break down their flow, and help D when they do dump it down into Sabonis are what I would emphasize this week.

I agree with this. UNC is an apt comparison.

In our 2 losses to the Tar Heels, their front court really took it to us. But(!), Joe Berry had a pair of strong games too. I think he had 13 and 14 points (and in the 2nd game, in Chapel Hill, I remember his scoring a number of timely baskets).

So, if we can restrict/stifle Gonzaga's guard play, I think we can be in good shape.

Easier said that done.

We seemed to manage the bigs inside much better after JBs return, I hope that trend continues and we stop making 5 options NBA prospects. I think the Zags bigs will do well but with our zone pretty locked in I think we'll be able to make the adjustments to be able to manage them paving a way to victory for us.

If this game was on a short turn-around like after a day or two I think we'd have a lot more trouble with them than we do having a 5 day break in between. I like our chances.

We know we probably aren't stopping Sabonis with personnel. If we slow him down it will be by using system tools:
1. Deny him the entry pass
2. Try to get him in foul trouble with aggressive drives
3. Roberson rebounding from the weak side
4. Shoot the passing the lanes when he does get the ball and looks to kick out

If we do those three things well, we will have a much better outcome. Realistically, he's going to get his double-double. But one guy is not going to be enough to beat us. Just need to contain him enough. Usually, it is a lesser player who steps up to beat us and they have a few guys who can do that. It will just be a matter of how well they execute and how we deal with them on the offensive end. Can we score on their defense? Hitting shots of course is our big key in every game, but they have been excellent defending the 3.

Personally think this is a bad matchup, but I viewed the possible Utah matchup the same way. We have struggled against bigs this year and sabonis is very good. Wiltjer is also an excellent three point shooter. Not to familiar with their guard play but those two players are NBA players who are both over 6'10". Wiltjer doesn't really play big but they have the height to rebound and give us problems.

With that said I have seen a different Lydon in the tournament. He has thrown his body around and been a big boy with the rebounds. If we rebound as a team like we have the past two games then I like our chances. Also, we have had some success against gonzaga as of late. Let's hope that success continues.

My first thought was I'm glad we don't have to deal with Karnowski. Without him, the other two can be defended against. Not easily, but it's doable. And it's doable by us paying more attention to what we do.

I'm mostly worried about our front line getting in foul trouble.

I was encouraged by Lydon's discretion in blocking shots. He got several yes, but more importantly he seemed to know when to just stay straight up.

Personally think this is a bad matchup, but I viewed the possible Utah matchup the same way. We have struggled against bigs this year and sabonis is very good. Wiltjer is also an excellent three point shooter. Not to familiar with their guard play but those two players are NBA players who are both over 6'10". Wiltjer doesn't really play big but they have the height to rebound and give us problems.

With that said I have seen a different Lydon in the tournament. He has thrown his body around and been a big boy with the rebounds. If we rebound as a team like we have the past two games then I like our chances. Also, we have had some success against gonzaga as of late. Let's hope that success continues.
Serious question i dont know the answer to- is Wiltjer on nba draft boards? If so first or second round? I really like Sabonis but not as sold on Wiltjer at next level...

Sabonis will be the best big guy we play this year. Swap him with any big in the ACC and his numbers would be better than the trade partner. They are going to dominate the 5 spot. We need to break even at the 4 and win the 1-3.

Yep. We have had problems all year down low. Sabonis is more than capable of going off on us. And with the Zag's downgrade in guard play from last year, they will surely rely on the interior offense to get them the win. No way they chuck up a bunch of threes.

I think Brice Johnson is probably better than Sabonis? They're both really good though. I am worried that he could eat us alive down low, but there's also the chance we can frustrate him a little.

I'll go back to what I said yesterday, we need to involve their bigs, especially Wiltjer, in as many pick and rolls as possible.

They key defensively, is their guards. If they pick this game to shoot well, we can cover both the guards and the big guys. We can take out one or the other against a team that ahs only one but I don't see us stopping this team if the guards are on.

It may be the same on the other end. A lot of those drives could end in blocked shots and fast breaks so we need to be hitting from outside.

Serious question i dont know the answer to- is Wiltjer on nba draft boards? If so first or second round? I really like Sabonis but not as sold on Wiltjer at next level...

When he started at Kentucky he had a lot of hype. Looking at draft boards I don't see him anywhere which I find shocking.

I agree with this. UNC is an apt comparison.

In our 2 losses to the Tar Heels, their front court really took it to us. But(!), Joe Berry had a pair of strong games too. I think he had 13 and 14 points (and in the 2nd game, in Chapel Hill, I remember his scoring a number of timely baskets).

So, if we can restrict/stifle Gonzaga's guard play, I think we can be in good shape.

Easier said that done.

UNC is a good comp.
LOTS of size up front, and skill, and depth.
Better guard play (for sure) than the Zags.

And - we were in both of those games until the very end, including a 1 possession game (73-70) under :18 seconds, with the ball, played AT the Dean Dome.

You know, the #1 seeded UNC team? That one.

Yet, somehow, we have no chance against Gonzaga, the 11-seed, at a neutral site. :noidea:

When he started at Kentucky he had a lot of hype. Looking at draft boards I don't see him anywhere which I find shocking.

Probably tough because you lose essentially 3 years by transferring: the 1st year wasted at UK, then a year sitting out, then a year at new school. By that time you are already what, 21 or 22 years old? As far as drafting, the NBA considers you a burnt out hulk by the time you are 20, don't they?

UNC is a good comp.
LOTS of size up front, and skill, and depth.
Better guard play (for sure) than the Zags.

And - we were in both of those games until the very end, including a 1 possession game (73-70) under :18 seconds, with the ball, played AT the Dean Dome.

You know, the #1 seeded UNC team? That one.

Yet, somehow, we have no chance against Gonzaga, the 11-seed, at a neutral site. :noidea:

Yeah, but Roy Williams.

I'd think a guy with his height and that shooting ability will be able to find an NBA job

Wiltjer is a slightly better Steve Novak. He will get a chance at the NBA because he can shoot and a good team will put him in their 2nd unit and use him for spacing in the corner for 3 point shots.

However, I watched Gonzaga cliups and man he struggles in pick and roll defense. Wiltjer is way more valuable in college basketball because he was one of the best in the nation at putting the ball in the bucket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom