Gonzaga Big Men | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga Big Men

Wiltjer is a slightly better Steve Novak. He will get a chance at the NBA because he can shoot and a good team will put him in their 2nd unit and use him for spacing in the corner for 3 point shots.

However, I watched Gonzaga cliups and man he struggles in pick and roll defense. Wiltjer is way more valuable in college basketball because he was one of the best in the nation at putting the ball in the bucket.
So we should expect the Zags to have him guard Roberson? Not sure we can take advantage of that.

No disrespect intended, as I genuinely do think the Zags are a good team and this will be a very tough game for us... but they simply do not compare in overall size/skill/depth to UNC. Not close.
As a few others have noted, this one is gonna come down to our offensive production. Gotta make shots and limit turnovers

No disrespect intended, as I genuinely do think the Zags are a good team and this will be a very tough game for us... but they simply do not compare in overall size/skill/depth to UNC. Not close.
As a few others have noted, this one is gonna come down to our offensive production. Gotta make shots and limit turnovers

I get the skill and depth part but the Zags have NBA size.

UNC is a good comp.
LOTS of size up front, and skill, and depth.
Better guard play (for sure) than the Zags.

And - we were in both of those games until the very end, including a 1 possession game (73-70) under :18 seconds, with the ball, played AT the Dean Dome.

You know, the #1 seeded UNC team? That one.

Yet, somehow, we have no chance against Gonzaga, the 11-seed, at a neutral site. :noidea:

I don't direct this comment at you, so apologies for using this post to reply to, but as a whole I think Cuse fans should scale down the "no respect" angle. Its overused and cliché enough coming from players, but its sounds downright silly coming from fans, SU or any other team. Not to mention that, in the case here, most college basketball fans have a ton of respect for the Syracuse program.

I think an important aspect of the zone is that it will make it easier to double the low post after the entry fees than teams that run man. Just have to make sure that the kick out by their bigs in that instance is to a man that's not in the ideal spot for a completely open look.

I'm worried about the zone over playing the free throw line when a big gets the ball there and leaving the baseline open for easy layups.

jsshap said:
I don't direct this comment at you, so apologies for using this post to reply to, but as a whole I think Cuse fans should scale down the "no respect" angle. Its overused and cliché enough coming from players, but its sounds downright silly coming from fans, SU or any other team. Not to mention that, in the case here, most college basketball fans have a ton of respect for the Syracuse program.

I've. It seen one prognostication or pundit pick us to win. Not a single one.

Sabonis is a good player, but he's trading off of his dad's name to some extent.

Probably tough because you lose essentially 3 years by transferring: the 1st year wasted at UK, then a year sitting out, then a year at new school. By that time you are already what, 21 or 22 years old? As far as drafting, the NBA considers you a burnt out hulk by the time you are 20, don't they?

Yeah right around there. When MCW got drafted he was 21 I believe so age was the big factor. Same with Wes Johnson who I believe was 23.

Vitale picked us to win. I've seen one youtube type place pick us also.

Wiltjer is a slightly better Steve Novak. He will get a chance at the NBA because he can shoot and a good team will put him in their 2nd unit and use him for spacing in the corner for 3 point shots.

However, I watched Gonzaga cliups and man he struggles in pick and roll defense. Wiltjer is way more valuable in college basketball because he was one of the best in the nation at putting the ball in the bucket.
I agree. I watched Wiltjer against St. Mary's and it looked like he would have trouble guarding a decent player in a phone booth, if you remember what a phone booth is. Whoever he guards might have a memorable day. Sabonis is not a great rim defender. Only about 27 blocks on the season. Lydon has 54 and Coleman, in much less playing time, has 29. But the Zags can shoot! And don't foul them because their FT % is ridiculously high. Stating the obvious, it would be nice to get either Sabonis or Wiltjer in early foul trouble. SU plays only 7 but Gonzaga plays only 6.

I don't really follow why that matters. We are 4.5 dogs, I bet you see a pretty low percentage of experts pick a 4.5 dog to win any game. I guess it depends on whether the comment is "media/fans are sleeping on this team" or "media/fans don't respect this program (or are biased against SU, etc.). I was speaking more to the latter. The original post was more the former (which seems your angle too), then my bad, but again I was making more of a general comment -- whether its pre-season rankings, tournament consideration, seeding, or specific game predictions, there seems a large number of fans who believe that Syracuse gets no respect as a program, year in year out, and that there is some bias against them, from media and fans. I don't agree and think that's a really tired claim.

jsshap said:
I don't really follow why that matters. We are 4.5 dogs, I bet you see a pretty low percentage of experts pick a 4.5 dog to win any game. I guess it depends on whether the comment is "media/fans are sleeping on this team" or "media/fans don't respect this program (or are biased against SU, etc.). I was speaking more to the latter. The original post was more the former (which seems your angle too), then my bad, but again I was making more of a general comment -- whether its pre-season rankings, tournament consideration, seeding, or specific game predictions, there seems a large number of fans who believe that Syracuse gets no respect as a program, year in year out, and that there is some bias against them, from media and fans. I don't agree and think that's a really tired claim.

I don't think that we get short changed by the media that much. We get what's due.

This year is different.

I agree with this. UNC is an apt comparison.

In our 2 losses to the Tar Heels, their front court really took it to us. But(!), Joe Berry had a pair of strong games too. I think he had 13 and 14 points (and in the 2nd game, in Chapel Hill, I remember his scoring a number of timely baskets).

So, if we can restrict/stifle Gonzaga's guard play, I think we can be in good shape.

Easier said that done.

It's not really an apt comparison of the front lines. It's more of a contrast because they're very different. North Carolina's jump better than Gonzaga's, move side to side better, definitely run better and there's a whole lot more of them. But Sabonis is way more physical than anyone of Carolina's bigs, has next level footwork and post moves like his dad. He's one of those guys that goes anywhere he wants on the court when he wants to. He's a power forward playing out of position because Karnowski's out. North Carolina has nobody like him. Wiltjer is a clutch shooter who's slow footed with a slow release, not very athletic and he doesn't move all that well. There's no one on Carolina like him. The Zags' guards are like Carolina's but again, there are fewer of them.

Sabonis is a good player, but he's trading off of his dad's name to some extent.

Sorry, but he's not. He's very much like his dad with the same great footwork and a much better outside shot.

While Roberson is the perma X factor (SU is equipped to beat anyone with his first 2 tournament games), I think they'll need Lydon to outplay last week. Asking a lot of the kid, for sure, but just as Sabonis is a really tough draw for this defense, who on the Zags is going to defend Lydon when he's in attack mode like Sunday?

After reading about Gonzaga this week, it appears they are underseeded by 10 spots or so ;). NBA players all over. Great coach.

I'm intimidated.

Nah ... you got it wrong.

To make it into the field of 68 Gonzaga NEEDED to win the WCC (that's ACC except insert a "W" instead of an "A" ... and the distance between the conferences is greater than the distance between an "A" and a "W").

Mark Few has NEVER had a Top 25 "At their request, this network is being blocked from this site." recruiting class. Ever (at least until next year's freshman class ... he's FINALLY off the schneid).
GU has never had a h.s. McDonald's All American commit and show up as a freshman (until next year's freshman class).

The Sweet 16 is peppered with McDonald's All Americans. The Zags get guys from towns so small they don't even have a McDonalds.

Nothing to see here. Nothing to be "intimidated" over.

It's just Gonzaga.

Sorry, but he's not. He's very much like his dad with the same great footwork and a much better outside shot.
Nope. He is. 110%. Nowhere near as good, either.

Nah ... you got it wrong.

To make it into the field of 68 Gonzaga NEEDED to win the WCC (that's ACC except insert a "W" instead of an "A" ... and the distance between the conferences is greater than the distance between an "A" and a "W").

Mark Few has NEVER had a Top 25 "At their request, this network is being blocked from this site." recruiting class. Ever (at least until next year's freshman class ... he's FINALLY off the schneid).
GU has never had a h.s. McDonald's All American commit and show up as a freshman (until next year's freshman class).

The Sweet 16 is peppered with McDonald's All Americans. The Zags get guys from towns so small they don't even have a McDonalds.

Nothing to see here. Nothing to be "intimidated" over.

It's just Gonzaga.
I'm impressed by how self aware you are.

GoZags said:
Nah ... you got it wrong. To make it into the field of 68 Gonzaga NEEDED to win the WCC (that's ACC except insert a "W" instead of an "A" ... and the distance between the conferences is greater than the distance between an "A" and a "W"). Mark Few has NEVER had a Top 25 "At their request, this network is being blocked from this site." recruiting class. Ever (at least until next year's freshman class ... he's FINALLY off the schneid). GU has never had a h.s. McDonald's All American commit and show up as a freshman (until next year's freshman class). The Sweet 16 is peppered with McDonald's All Americans. The Zags get guys from towns so small they don't even have a McDonalds. Nothing to see here. Nothing to be "intimidated" over. It's just Gonzaga.

Whew. Thanks.

Sabonis doesn't elevate well. He is a leaner and is good with both hands. Uses his hips well to establish position but tends to push off with his arms against heavier defenders. He basically plays below the rim and as big as he is plays more like a finesse European big. His shots are fairly flat....hurry him and he will rush his shots and will be clanking the rim a lot Give him time and he will make baskets.

Sabonis doesn't elevate well. He is a leaner and is good with both hands. Uses his hips well to establish position but tends to push off with his arms against heavier defenders. He basically plays below the rim and as big as he is plays more like a finesse European big. His shots are fairly flat...hurry him and he will rush his shots and will be clanking the rim a lot Give him time and he will make baskets.

Sounds like the lottery pick he's projected to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom