Gonzaga Big Men | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga Big Men

Nah ... you got it wrong.

To make it into the field of 68 Gonzaga NEEDED to win the WCC (that's ACC except insert a "W" instead of an "A" ... and the distance between the conferences is greater than the distance between an "A" and a "W").

Mark Few has NEVER had a Top 25 "At their request, this network is being blocked from this site." recruiting class. Ever (at least until next year's freshman class ... he's FINALLY off the schneid).
GU has never had a h.s. McDonald's All American commit and show up as a freshman (until next year's freshman class).

The Sweet 16 is peppered with McDonald's All Americans. The Zags get guys from towns so small they don't even have a McDonalds.

Nothing to see here. Nothing to be "intimidated" over.

It's just Gonzaga.
You guys have a couple of nice players, but why is your entire fanbase now pretending you have some kind of elite backcourt to go along with them?

You guys have a couple of nice players, but why is your entire fanbase now pretending you have some kind of elite backcourt to go along with them?

Yeah ... much ado about nothing.

Freshman pg Josh Perkins (Gonzaga's highest rated recruit ever) led the WCC in 3 point shooting percentage.

Eric McClellan (5th year senior) Sure he averaged 14.3 ppg at Vanderbilt but that was a couple of years ago. Sure he was the WCC Defensive POY but after all, it was the WCC. Oh, he's averaged 20+ ppg in the post season and his 22 led the Zags in the round of 32.

5th year Senior Kyle Dranginis.
What could a guy that's been in the program for 5 years have to offer?

Last edited:

Freshman pg Josh Perkins (Gonzaga's highest rated recruit ever) led the WCC in 3 point shooting percentage.

Eric McClellan (5th year senior) Sure he averaged 14.3 ppg at Vanderbilt but that was a couple of years ago.

So, how did you even lose a single game this season? :noidea:

Sabonis doesn't elevate well. He is a leaner and is good with both hands. Uses his hips well to establish position but tends to push off with his arms against heavier defenders. He basically plays below the rim and as big as he is plays more like a finesse European big. His shots are fairly flat...hurry him and he will rush his shots and will be clanking the rim a lot Give him time and he will make baskets.
You had me at "good with both hands" and "uses his hips well." I am impressed with how well you know our opponent, Ringo ;)

GoZags said:
Yeah ... much ado about nothing. Freshman pg Josh Perkins (Gonzaga's highest rated recruit ever) led the WCC in 3 point shooting percentage. Eric McClellan (5th year senior) Sure he averaged 14.3 ppg at Vanderbilt but that was a couple of years ago. Sure he was the WCC Defensive POY but after all, it was the WCC. Oh, he's averaged 20+ ppg in the post season and his 22 led the Zags in the round of 32. 5th year Senior Kyle Dranginis. What could a guy that's been in the program for 5 years have to offer? Yeah ... much ado about nothing.

Crap. I'm intimidated again.

Does it count that their 7 losses were "close" games?

"Close", eh?
Only if you were competing in: Horseshoes, atom bombs, spitballs, or hand grenades. :p :D

Quite a few of our losses were "close" games too - notably AT Virginia, and AT UNC.
You know, two of the #1 seeds. In their home arenas.

No doubt the teams you lost to were equally good.

Without looking at Gonzaga's schedule how many teams that made the NCAA tournament did they beat during the regular season?
We all know they beat UConn after we did. I saw them lose to Arizona and UCLA at home. I am wondering who did they beat?

I know the WCC was a 1 bid league.

Syracuse had 4 losses to non-NCAA tournament teams and 9 losses to NCAA tournament teams. Including a 3-5 record against teams still left.

I respect Gonzaga's program but we have a good chance to win this game. I have no doubt we could lose but both sides are lucky to be facing other and whomever wins will be the 8th ranked team of the 8 teams left in the Elite Eight.

You had me at "good with both hands" and "uses his hips well." I am impressed with how well you know our opponent, Ringo ;)

Anyone with decent eyes can see this watching an hour of film. A wealth of info can be gleaned by just watching and seeing the patterns. He has a good game down low but he has limited hops and quickness...very methodical. As a defender you lean on him and he will fake right with his back to you and then spin left. Facing the defender if the defender doesnt step up to him he will shoot the jumper. At the foul line if you step up he fakes right and goes left shooting with his left hand if pressured right hand if he beats you. He reminds me a lot of Jerry Lucas, but not as quick with the moves. He has a rhythm, a beat, to his moves and if you speed him up with pressure he will blow layups and close in jump shots.

Anyone with decent eyes can see this watching an hour of film. A wealth of info can be gleaned by just watching and seeing the patterns. He has a good game down low but he has limited hops and quickness...very methodical. As a defender you lean on him and he will fake right with his back to you and then spin left. Facing the defender if the defender doesnt step up to him he will shoot the jumper. At the foul line if you step up he fakes right and goes left shooting with his left hand if pressured right hand if he beats you. He reminds me a lot of Jerry Lucas, but not as quick with the moves. He has a rhythm, a beat, to his moves and if you speed him up with pressure he will blow layups and close in jump shots.
I got you Ringo, go back and read my post. I was joking with you :)

Eric McClellan (5th year senior) Sure he averaged 14.3 ppg at Vanderbilt but that was a couple of years ago. Sure he was the WCC Defensive POY but after all, it was the WCC. Oh, he's averaged 20+ ppg in the post season and his 22 led the Zags in the round of 32.

wowz dude... with what you've so eloquently described here it is truly remarkable your team didn't win every single game in that gauntlet of a conference by 20+... must've been some severe underachievin' going on

I got you Ringo, go back and read my post. I was joking with you :)

Thanks. I usually do not get joked with on this board but then there is always a first time. Can't get the "scouting" out of me. JB will have them ready. He will have the Zags out of their game by halftime. Then the zone will clamp down and the same pattern will repeat like the last 2 games.

wowz dude... with what you've so eloquently described here it is truly remarkable your team didn't win every single game in that gauntlet of a conference by 20+... must've been some severe underachievin' going on

Yeah. That's it exactly. An 11 seed playing with house money just happy to be in Chicago.

Thanks. I usually do not get joked with on this board but then there is always a first time. Can't get the "scouting" out of me. JB will have them ready. He will have the Zags out of their game by halftime. Then the zone will clamp down and the same pattern will repeat like the last 2 games.
I like the intensity. I am just trying to have a little fun until Friday, nerves are kicking in. I want this game badly.

IF he turns into Jerry Lucas we are in trouble. Good information - I worry about our guys fouling.

Nope. He is. 110%. Nowhere near as good, either.

Of course he's not as good (yet). His dad didn't come to the NBA until he was 31. Unless you're a west coaster, maybe you haven't seen this Sabonis much this year. He's smaller than his dad (who I saw play a lot, being of a certain age) but has the same great Euro feet and he's way more physical than his dad. Riding some on his dad's coattails? Not. You wouldn't say that if you'd actually seen him play this year.

While Roberson is the perma X factor (SU is equipped to beat anyone with his first 2 tournament games), I think they'll need Lydon to outplay last week. Asking a lot of the kid, for sure, but just as Sabonis is a really tough draw for this defense, who on the Zags is going to defend Lydon when he's in attack mode like Sunday?

With Coleman and Roberson in the game at the same time, they can hide Sabonis and Wiltjer on D. With Lydon in the game though, there is a serious mismatch on the defensive end for them. I expect Boeheim to try to exploit this as much as possible.

When the Cuse is playing well we have the ability to Wilt yer Sa-boners. And don't you forget that!
And few teams are feared when they have a wilted saboner!

Say man, just gotta say, those guards of yours are spectacular. Especially your highest rated recruit evah!

Also known as, the perils of chirping on the opposing teams fan forum :noidea:

I agree with this. UNC is an apt comparison.

In our 2 losses to the Tar Heels, their front court really took it to us. But(!), Joe Berry had a pair of strong games too. I think he had 13 and 14 points (and in the 2nd game, in Chapel Hill, I remember his scoring a number of timely baskets).

So, if we can restrict/stifle Gonzaga's guard play, I think we can be in good shape.

Easier said that done.
Ding Ding...you win the prize!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom