Gonzaga Coach Says NCAA Admits Sweet 16 Error | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga Coach Says NCAA Admits Sweet 16 Error

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Houston (AP) -- The Latest on preparations for the Final Four in Houston on Friday, where two NCAA Tournament semifinals are set for Saturday (all times local):

2:30 p.m.

For Gonzaga, the timing could not have been worse.

Coach Mark Few tells The Associated Press the NCAA called to inform him officials blew the call on a 10-second violation that went against the Bulldogs late in Syracuse's come-from-behind win in the Sweet 16.

The turnover came with 1:17 left and Gonzaga leading 60-59. Josh Perkins skipped a pass for Kyle Dranginis into the front court, and a Syracuse player deflected it back across the line.

Refs called a 10-second violation but the 10-second limit in the backcourt should have reset once a player touched the ball in the front court.

Syracuse scored the last four points as part of a 15-3 run to end the game for a 63-60 win.

The NCAA did not immediately respond to an email from AP seeking comment.

Was it really conclusive that Cooney touched the ball after it crossed half court? Also, what defines crossing half court? Does the entire ball have to cross? Seems like it was hard to tell by replay, let alone in real time.

Did they also tell them they made the wrong call on Cooney stepping out and we accidently gave him two shots to win the game instead of just the one.
Exactly what I was going to post. We have been screwed many times but missed calls I guess this is just Karma. LGO, is it game time yet?

LoL this is great. Um hey Mark anything about the Cooney call at the end?

I would love a screen shot of the point Cooney hit the ball. I am not convinced the refs made the wrong call. Anyway we missed a 3 from. G and the refs gave them a makeup call late

I would love a screen shot of the point Cooney hit the ball. I am not convinced the refs made the wrong call. Anyway we missed a 3 from. G and the refs gave them a makeup call late

upload_2016-4-1_16-6-53.png

I looked up the rule after the game. My understanding(before and after I read the rule), is the the the offensive teams has 10 seconds to advance the ball past the mid court. The ball must past the line AND be in possession of the ball handler within the 10 seconds. Has to be a AFD joke.

Was it really conclusive that Cooney touched the ball after it crossed half court? Also, what defines crossing half court? Does the entire ball have to cross? Seems like it was hard to tell by replay, let alone in real time.

Well this also goes to football... it was always hard to tell if a football crossed the plain of the goalline. The only way they knew for sure was installing the pylon cameras to get a good angle at it. The angle of the camera for the basketball uses makes it almost impossible to tell if the ball crosses unless there is a camera right on the mid court line which there isnt.

thinks OP is having a little fun due to the date on the calendar

Houston (AP) -- The Latest on preparations for the Final Four in Houston on Friday, where two NCAA Tournament semifinals are set for Saturday (all times local):

2:30 p.m.

For Gonzaga, the timing could not have been worse.

Coach Mark Few tells The Associated Press the NCAA called to inform him officials blew the call on a 10-second violation that went against the Bulldogs late in Syracuse's come-from-behind win in the Sweet 16.

The turnover came with 1:17 left and Gonzaga leading 60-59. Josh Perkins skipped a pass for Kyle Dranginis into the front court, and a Syracuse player deflected it back across the line.

Refs called a 10-second violation but the 10-second limit in the backcourt should have reset once a player touched the ball in the front court.

Syracuse scored the last four points as part of a 15-3 run to end the game for a 63-60 win.

The NCAA did not immediately respond to an email from AP seeking comment.
Dont know if this is true, but remember SU did not score on the resulting turnover. G missed a 3 so not sure how critical this call was

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a example of who cares in that Cooney made the steal anyway didn't he?
I think The zags got it, in their backcourt, after Cooneys tip

I hope so and I hope we can now move on from Ohio St.

No we're moving on from Marquette. We need another bone before moving on from Ohio State. Hopefully that payback will arrive in some form Saturday night.

Um... where do I begin?

1. He made the steal anyway
2. We didn't score on that possession anyway (Gbinije missed a 3 in the corner IIRC)
3. No mention of the blown out of bounds call?

What. I hope this is an April Fool's joke.

Um... where do I begin?

1. He made the steal anyway
2. We didn't score on that possession anyway (Gbinije missed a 3 in the corner IIRC)
3. No mention of the blown out of bounds call?

What. I hope this is an April Fool's joke.

He actually didn't make the steal, but I agree, we didn't get anything out of the ensuing possession, so the only gripe is that they lost some time off the clock. On the flip side, as you said, we got screwed with a call not long after that, which luckily didn't end up blowing the game for us.

Here's my big issue here. Few drops this, seemingly without prodding, at a conference that coincides with the Final Four (where Syracuse is one of the participants). It's petty, which is not something that I'd normally associate with him. We get it. You got beat. And you got beat in heartbreaking fashion (up 9 with 5 to play). But that call is one of, oh I don't know, a dozen of "missed" calls that happen in any game. Calling it out now is weak and, in all likelihood, would not have changed the outcome. That game was getting taken from the Zags whether we get the 10 second call or not. No reason to bring attention to it on a weekend where four other teams ... most notably the team that beat you ... should be getting all of the attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom