Gonzaga Coach Says NCAA Admits Sweet 16 Error | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gonzaga Coach Says NCAA Admits Sweet 16 Error

i think it's another cbs blown angle call. i can't tell who touched the ball where.

I looked up the rule after the game. My understanding(before and after I read the rule), is the the the offensive teams has 10 seconds to advance the ball past the mid court. The ball must past the line AND be in possession of the ball handler within the 10 seconds. Has to be a AFD joke.
I just watched the whole thing again and you are correct. Start slowing it down round 18 or 19 sec mark. The whole ball never passes mid court -

So now we're even for the Dion over and back call in 2011
Seriously. That has bothered me so much over the years. This compensates s little for that.

So the ball never broke the plain in possession. What did the refs blow according to the rules?
Section 13. Back Court Art. 1. A team’s front court shall consist of that part of the playing court between its end line and the nearer edge of the division line, including its basket and the inbounds part of its backboard. Art.

2. A team’s back court consists of the rest of the playing court, including its opponent’s basket and inbounds part of the backboard and the division line, excluding the mathematical edge nearest the team’s basket. Art.

3. A live ball is in the front court or back court of the team in control as follows:

a. A ball that is in contact with a player or with the playing court shall be in the back court when either the ball or the player (either player when the ball is touching more than one) is touching the back court. It shall be in the front court when neither the ball nor the player is touching the back court.

b. A ball that is not in contact with a player or the playing court retains the same status as when it was last in contact with a player or the playing court.

c. During a dribble from back court to front court, the ball shall be in the front court when both feet of the dribbler and the ball touch the playing court entirely in the front court. Art.

4. A player shall not be the first to touch the ball in his back court (with any part of his body, voluntarily or involuntarily) when the ball came from the front court while that player’s team was in team control and that player or his teammate was the last to touch the ball before it went into the back court. Art.

5. A pass in the front court that is deflected by a defensive player so that the ball goes into the back court may be recovered by either team.

Neither the ball nor Cooney were touching the back court. Thus, the fall was in the front court. The deflected pass was recovered by a Zag.

Ok, they blew the call...big deal, they gave Gonzaga a gift at the end...it happens, get over it.

This is certainly not a big deal by any means. Officials mess up all time the time, as we all know. That said, HOW IN THE CAN THEY CALL FEW TO APOLOGIZE FOR THAT AND NOT CALL JIMMY TO APOLOGIZE FOR COONEY'S STEAL? I am certainly not one to drink the "Everyone hates us" kool-aid, but this is absolutely absurd.

Unless they did of course, and Jimmy correctly just didn't broadcast it to the world because he is a true gentleman. If that's the case, I withdraw my statement.

Coon dog is involved in the most controversial calls in Cuse history. Both good and bad. It's crazy.

Section 13. Back Court Art. 1. A team’s front court shall consist of that part of the playing court between its end line and the nearer edge of the division line, including its basket and the inbounds part of its backboard. Art.

2. A team’s back court consists of the rest of the playing court, including its opponent’s basket and inbounds part of the backboard and the division line, excluding the mathematical edge nearest the team’s basket. Art.

3. A live ball is in the front court or back court of the team in control as follows:

a. A ball that is in contact with a player or with the playing court shall be in the back court when either the ball or the player (either player when the ball is touching more than one) is touching the back court. It shall be in the front court when neither the ball nor the player is touching the back court.

b. A ball that is not in contact with a player or the playing court retains the same status as when it was last in contact with a player or the playing court.

c. During a dribble from back court to front court, the ball shall be in the front court when both feet of the dribbler and the ball touch the playing court entirely in the front court. Art.

4. A player shall not be the first to touch the ball in his back court (with any part of his body, voluntarily or involuntarily) when the ball came from the front court while that player’s team was in team control and that player or his teammate was the last to touch the ball before it went into the back court. Art.

5. A pass in the front court that is deflected by a defensive player so that the ball goes into the back court may be recovered by either team.

Neither the ball nor Cooney were touching the back court. Thus, the fall was in the front court. The deflected pass was recovered by a Zag.

Ok, they blew the call...big deal, they gave Gonzaga a gift at the end...it happens, get over it.

I don't think the ball completely made it past the center line and is therefore in Gonzaga's back court and not their front court. If that is the case then I think the refs made the right call, rule 5 doesn't apply because Cooney didn't deflect a ball that was in Gonzaga's front court.

This so ridiculous. We didn't even score on that posession. Yet espn is running it on their ticker followed by "syracuse scored the last 4 points" implyong that we scored immediately following the 10 second call.

Also no mention of blown call on the Cooney steal

This happened a week ago, why is this coming out now?

We all know exactly why it is coming out now. Another reason to show we "don't belong." This run is a big middle finger to the NCAA and they will do anything to discredit our school, team, and coach. If they had released the story last week it would have died. By releasing it just prior to the FF it has given the haters another reason to say we don't belong. An unbiased journalist would also point out that we had an egregious call by an out of position ref that almost cost us that game.

SU is a threat to the NCAA golden geese of UNC and Duke. The Carolina schools are cash cows for the NCAA each spring. While I believe that SU deserved sanctions, the severity of those sanctions are not commensurate with the severity of the violations. We were one step away from the death penalty folks. The NCAA saw SU as a threat to the Carolina schools that make the money so they lowered the hammer.

The NCAA cannot DQ us from being in the Final Four so they are doing everything they can to discredit us. There is only one thing to do: Win the whole f$#%ing thing. Then smile and say: "Thanks for the motivation."

Let's Go Orange!!!!!

This happened a week ago, why is this coming out now?
Setting the stage for a royal screw job? Our big weakness imo is depth. Let's see how the foul calls go tonight. If they are blatantly one-sided we will have our answer.

Noexcuse said:
Setting the stage for a royal screw job? Our big weakness imo is depth. Let's see how the foul calls go tonight. If they are blatantly one-sided we will have our answer.

The good news is I don't think the NCAA likes UNC very much right now either...

We all know exactly why it is coming out now. Another reason to show we "don't belong."

Agreed--that's all it is. A BS story to fit the BS narrative about why we shouldn't be in the final four.

I personally find it hilarious that the "NCAA" went out of their way to contact Few to apologize, especially given how they botched the Cooney call at the end.

So stupid. That didn't prevent ESPN from rolling that as a scroll item all day long.

Unfortunately yes. Refs will want to "balance" out the calls and screw us.

Hell, last time we played UNC we were called for 6 charges. 6. Has to be some kind of record

Coon dog is involved in the most controversial calls in Cuse history. Both good and bad. It's crazy.
Controversial calls, yes. Most controversial, I don't know.

That phantom over-and-back call in the NCAA Tournament against Marquette still takes the cake. Don't get me wrong, I was a bit livid at the phantom out of bounds call last week as well.

Last edited:
I think you guys are overly sensitive to anything that involves Syracuse. This isn't a slight. We would have been apoplectic, and rightfully so, if the shoe had been on the other foot....or so I recall following the Marquette screwing.

The Referees most likely made the phone call because they blew the interpretation of the rules on that play...on the Cooney play and any others they may have gotten wrong they made errors in judgment. Above all else the referees are supposed to know the rules that the game is being played under. When they botch a call not because of an error in judgment but because they misapply the rules that is a huge problem. I think it is quite common when this happens that a call is made to the coach of the team that was aggrieved.

And as for Few mentioning it, I don't have any problem with that. If we were on the other side of it, JB would more than likely mention it and as a Syracuse fan I would want to hear it as soon as he got the call.

Last edited:
I think you guys are overly sensitive to anything that involves Syracuse. This isn't a slight. We would have been apoplectic, and rightfully so, if the shoe had been on the other foot...or so I recall following the Marquette screwing.

The Referees most likely made the call because they blew the interpretation of the rules on that play...on the Cooney play and any others they may have gotten wrong they made errors in judgment. Above all else the referees are supposed to know the rules that the game is being played under. When they botch a call not because of an error in judgment but because they misapply the rules that is a huge problem. I think it is quite common when this happens that a call is made to the coach of the team that was aggrieved.

And as for Few mentioning it, I don't have any problem with that. If we were on the other side of it, JB would more than likely mention it and as a Syracuse fan I would want to hear it as soon as he got the call.
Few has been gracious throughout.

I think you guys are overly sensitive to anything that involves Syracuse. This isn't a slight. We would have been apoplectic, and rightfully so, if the shoe had been on the other foot...or so I recall following the Marquette screwing.

The Referees most likely made the call because they blew the interpretation of the rules on that play...on the Cooney play and any others they may have gotten wrong they made errors in judgment. Above all else the referees are supposed to know the rules that the game is being played under. When they botch a call not because of an error in judgment but because they misapply the rules that is a huge problem. I think it is quite common when this happens that a call is made to the coach of the team that was aggrieved.

I have no problem with it being mentioned. It is the timing of the announcement that bugs me. These apologies are typically announced a day or two after the blown call. If this was announced on Monday it would have been a non story. By delaying the apology until the day before the final four gave the "story" a new life.

In conjunction with all of the talk about SU not belonging in the tourney, got a cakewalk to the FF, the timing of the apology appears suspect. I do not believe in coincidences and believe the timing of the announcement was meant to deliberately add fuel to the "don't belong" fire.

Whether done out of spite, for ratings, or both by the NCAA it was meant to discredit the tremendous accomplishment by our team.

Refs blow calls all the time and we have been on both sides. Heck we were on both sides of blown calls in the game in question. My philosophy on this is: If you played better you wouldn't be in a position to have one call take away a win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom