Good night B1G... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Good night B1G...

A one point loss to what may end up being the #1 team in the country? Compared to OU's one loss or CU's one loss?

You missed the 1 less game part. This weekend is the last chance ND really has to impress the voters. After that it's "hold on and hope it's enough" time :)

As long as ND has a possible (even if more difficult) chance at a playoff berth, it wants to stay an independent. Yes, even if excluded from the playoffs at 11-1.

ND and its fans understand that the odds may generally/sometimes/often be against them for this and are ok with it. What 'tho the odds, and all that.

It is fans of other schools who seem to get worked up about it. If ND is excluded at 11-1, I predict there would be very little clamor from ND fans about football joining a conference. Will ND fans be happy ? No. Will they want ND to join a conference? No.

Now, if the 4x16 champs only set up occurs, that shuts the door completely. If there is (legal or structural) ironclad barrier to the playoffs as an independent, ND will be in the ACC for football in ten minutes.

I'm def good with them missing out and the odds being stacked against them while making it easier to win the ACC as a Syracuse fan.

You missed the 1 less game part. This weekend is the last chance ND really has to impress the voters. After that it's "hold on and hope it's enough" time :)

Road win against Stanford is meaningless?

I'm def good with them missing out and the odds being stacked against them while making it easier to win the ACC as a Syracuse fan.

For the three years of the CFP I think the Committee has done a very good job of selecting the four best teams. Maybe the OSU selection last year was a tad questionable but def not egregious by any means. I am confident that they will select the four best teams this year.

That seems fair, especially to schools that run things like UNC.
It's impossible to objectively rank each schools level of academics and work it into the apr. Every institution is accredited. That's enough. UNC is a unique brand of cheating, but it can't be used as a reason to not use apr. You should be happy it's done the way it is. Ours is pretty good. If I remember correctly, we would've been in last year with a 5th win because of it. Do you really think it would be fairer to have conferences lobby for their teams as you suggested earlier?

It's impossible to objectively rank each schools level of academics and work it into the apr. Every institution is accredited. That's enough. UNC is a unique brand of cheating, but it can't be used as a reason to not use apr. You should be happy it's done the way it is. Ours is pretty good. If I remember correctly, we would've been in last year with a 5th win because of it. Do you really think it would be fairer to have conferences lobby for their teams as you suggested earlier?
As you pointed out, all of the institutions are accredited so why then create this apr number which I'm sure many have already figured out how to game. Strength of schedule should be the only factor or maybe Rpi. If the apr is some kind of great standard, why don'y they employ it when determining who will play in the final four?

As you pointed out, all of the institutions are accredited so why then create this apr number which I'm sure many have already figured out how to game. Strength of schedule should be the only factor or maybe Rpi. If the apr is some kind of great standard, why don'y they employ it when determining who will play in the final four?
You clearly don't want to have an intelligent reasonable conversation. I shouldn't have engaged you.

Road win against Stanford is meaningless?
Stanford isn't even ranked in the new CFP Rankings.

It's a quality win but nothing to write home about when you're depending on your schedule to make up for one less game and no chance at a conference championship.

You clearly don't want to have an intelligent reasonable conversation. I shouldn't have engaged you.
Every SEC team, save Arkansas, is ranked higher than SU, Loiusville is # 9. I believed Syracuse would easily get in with 5 wins, but I see that isn't so. Hope they can get 6.

Stanford isn't even ranked in the new CFP Rankings.

It's a quality win but nothing to write home about when you're depending on your schedule to make up for one less game and no chance at a conference championship.

One less game can matter a lot when the totality of your work doesn't get it done. But when you've rolled numerous ranked teams (hypothetically including Miami) as much or more than anybody else then it won't matter enough to eliminate them.

It feels funny rooting for Miami. But I like Richt. And I don't like Kelly - I think I'd actually root for Alabama if they played ND because of him.

My doomsday playoff scenario would be ND, Bama, Georgia and an undefeated Wiscy. Unwatchable.

My perfect playoff scenario (however unlikely): 12-1 Clemson, 12-1 Miami, 12-1 Washington, and...... 11-2 Auburn. This assumes Auburn getting in by beating GA twice and Bama. Lot's of carnage needed - but it's possible.

For the three years of the CFP I think the Committee has done a very good job of selecting the four best teams. Maybe the OSU selection last year was a tad questionable but def not egregious by any means. I am confident that they will select the four best teams this year.

I agree. Using the available data and watching games should give the committee a pretty good chance to evaluate fairly. What we've been arguing over is that ND is missing some data points, so the rest of their schedule needs to trump the missed 13th game - championship game. They may have done enough this year, the B1G eating itself, Washington and Wisconsin's schedule being sub par, etc. We'll see.

I don't think it's really debatable that ND has a slightly tougher road. And that they are choosing that.

It feels funny rooting for Miami. But I like Richt. And I don't like Kelly - I think I'd actually root for Alabama if they played ND because of him.

My doomsday playoff scenario would be ND, Bama, Georgia and an undefeated Wiscy. Unwatchable.

My perfect playoff scenario (however unlikely): 12-1 Clemson, 12-1 Miami, 12-1 Washington, and... 11-2 Auburn. This assumes Auburn getting in by beating GA twice and Bama. Lot's of carnage needed - but it's possible.

I have no problem rooting for them, I did during the convicts/catholics day, my hate for Nd is far greater.

My perfect playoff scenario (however unlikely): 12-1 Clemson, 12-1 Miami, 12-1 Washington, and... 11-2 Auburn. This assumes Auburn getting in by beating GA twice and Bama. Lot's of carnage needed - but it's possible.
I don't think both Miami and Clemson can go 12-1, seeing as how they are playing this weekend and will most likely play in the Conference Championship game.

EDIT: I take that back, I am a moron and I thought they were playing each other this weekend. Miami is playing ND and I am praying that the Convicts pummel the Catholics. GO DA U!!!

...I feel awful saying that but screw ND.

I don't care about ND. I just want Miami to be relevant again. They're fun to hate.

We'd play them every year in a perfect world.

I don't care about ND. I just want Miami to be relevant again. They're fun to hate.

We'd play them every year in a perfect world.
Every thirteenth year on a full moon we play them in the Friday night game on the Ocho.

I don't think both Miami and Clemson can go 12-1, seeing as how they are playing this weekend and will most likely play in the Conference Championship game.

EDIT: I take that back, I am a moron and I thought they were playing each other this weekend. Miami is playing ND and I am praying that the Convicts pummel the Catholics. GO DA U!!!

...I feel awful saying that but screw ND.
Miami is playing ND. And they don't play Clemson this year at all (not counting a probable ACCCG matchup).

It's pretty helpful that your example includes Wisconsin, a non-factory school that has one of the worst schedules in P5 history.

Why do you keep acting like playing one extra game for a Conference Champonship doesn't matter? The playoff bids aren't given out before those games happen.

Wisconsin's schedule is worse than Hitler!

We are playing the ridiculous message hyperbole game right? I seem to remember hearing the same complaints last year about the weak Washington schedule.

I agree. Using the available data and watching games should give the committee a pretty good chance to evaluate fairly. What we've been arguing over is that ND is missing some data points, so the rest of their schedule needs to trump the missed 13th game - championship game. They may have done enough this year, the B1G eating itself, Washington and Wisconsin's schedule being sub par, etc. We'll see.

I don't think it's really debatable that ND has a slightly tougher road. And that they are choosing that.

What are these missing data points?

Every thirteenth year on a full moon we play them in the Friday night game on the Ocho.
If we could only turn the clock back to 2003. You would have had an annual game with them and an annual "Whose Blue and Orange looks better?" grudge match. ;)
Don't blame me. Blame FSU and Clemson.
No, don't blame them. Blame Mark Warner's burning desire to "protect the economy of Southwest Virginia." :vomit:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom