Good night B1G... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Good night B1G...

The B1G has a lot of political pull. ND does, too, but not anywhere close to as much as the B1G.

That's especially true given that the ACC is going to do anything possible to keep BD out because A) it would mean they go to the OB (I think) so the ACC would make bank, and B) it would be more of an incentive for the Irish to join a conference.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I'm hesitant to undersell the importance of backeoom deals.

I hear you to a degree but if Wiscy is rewarded with a playoff appearance after having played that schedule then the whole thing is a farce.

I know it's often mentioned that winning your conference playoff game should go a long way toward getting you into the CFP but if it largely ignores the regular season results then it's a joke. People (not necessarily you) who push that line of thinking must want to go to back to the 1970s in hoops when the only way into the tourney was to win your conference or your conference tournament. I don't care whether a team won a conference title or not or if there are multiple teams from the same conference that get into the CFP. Just get the best four teams in there. Who you played and who you beat should matter.

PSU will def fall out of the top ten, probably same for OSU. No one else on their schedule is even in the top 25. Most wouldn't fit in the top 50.

If two out of Clemson, ND and OU run the table and UGA/Bama are undefeated til the SEC title game then there is no path for Wisconsin.

I think it's more likely than not that the above does not happen for 2 of 3. But sure if that does happen than Wisconsin will have its door shut.

As for not facing a top 10 team... Penn St will likely be there if they win out and Ohio St no doubt. 5 of the teams between 11 and 20 lost today., so they won't be far out of the top 10 this week. . Penn St plays nobody but many teams are losing in that area... so just winning may move you up a few spots over 3 games. (we are not talking moving a few spots to get in the top 4... but a few spots to get in the top 10)

Last edited:
I hear you to a degree but if Wiscy is rewarded with a playoff appearance after having played that schedule then the whole thing is a farce.

I know it's often mentioned that winning your conference playoff game should go a long way toward getting you into the CFP but if it largely ignores the regular season results then it's a joke. People (not necessarily you) who push that line of thinking must want to go to back to the 1970s in hoops when the only way into the tourney was to win your conference or your conference tournament. I don't care whether a team won a conference title or not or if there are multiple teams from the same conference that get into the CFP. Just get the best four teams in there. Who you played and who you beat should matter.

I think that it is in a lot of ways.

But to your bottom point, I know you weren't speaking to me specifically, but it's worth nothing that there's a big difference between basketball and football in that the 'better' team wins way more often in football than basketball. That's part of why the NBA has a series format in the playoffs (like baseball), and it's part of why March Madness is wildly unpredictable. Sure, the better team wins more than they lose in both sports, but big upsets are far more common in round ball. As such, you could probably better pick the national champ via a division champ --> conference champ --> playoff champ in football than basketball.

Also, and once again, I know your comment wasn't directed at me specifically, but I'm not sure how much all of your justifications matter. I agree w/ them to an extent, but I think that the sport is ultimately driven by greed. Money talks, and I think that the ACC wants ND's money, the B1G wants playoff money, and I think that both conferences would use an incredible amount of resources to get what they want. And in the prior poster's scenario, both conferences would push for Wisc > ND.

I think it's more likely than not that the above does not happen for 2 of 3. But sure if that does happen than Wisconsin will have its door shut.

As for not facing a top 10 team... Penn St will likely be there if they win out and Ohio St no doubt. 5 of the teams between 11 and 20 lost today., so they won't be far out of the top 10 this week. . Penn St plays nobody but many teams are losing in that area... so just winning may move you up a few spots over 3 games. (we are not talking moving a few spots to get in the top 4... but a few spots to get in the top 10)

My point about the hypothetical 2 out of 3 was to counter your point that Wisconsin is in if they win out. I don't think so - they need help. One win over a top 25 team just doesn't cut it.

I think that it is in a lot of ways.

But to your bottom point, I know you weren't speaking to me specifically, but it's worth nothing that there's a big difference between basketball and football in that the 'better' team wins way more often in football than basketball. That's part of why the NBA has a series format in the playoffs (like baseball), and it's part of why March Madness is wildly unpredictable. Sure, the better team wins more than they lose in both sports, but big upsets are far more common in round ball. As such, you could probably better pick the national champ via a division champ --> conference champ --> playoff champ in football than basketball.

Also, and once again, I know your comment wasn't directed at me specifically, but I'm not sure how much all of your justifications matter. I agree w/ them to an extent, but I think that the sport is ultimately driven by greed. Money talks, and I think that the ACC wants ND's money, the B1G wants playoff money, and I think that both conferences would use an incredible amount of resources to get what they want. And in the prior poster's scenario, both conferences would push for Wisc > ND.

I understand your cynicism and your comments make sense and have some validity. But also keep in mind that the networks would have much greater desire to see ND in the CFP than Wisconsin. Not even close.

I understand your cynicism and your comments make sense and have some validity. But also keep in mind that the networks would have much greater desire to see ND in the CFP than Wisconsin. Not even close.
That's very true.

I wonder how justified my cynicism is. Part of me thinks that most of the discussion consists of proxy wars and backroom deals as various parties angle for their interest. The rest of my thinks that there is a chance that the group actually debates which teams have 'earned it.' The truth is probably in the middle.

No matter what Wisconsin’s best win is going to be against a 3 loss team.
The Big Ten is done barring major chaos.

The committee is not rewarding Wisconsin as they don’t pass the eye test and their schedule is weaker than other contenders.

The committee is not rewarding Wisconsin as they don’t pass the eye test and their schedule is weaker than other contenders.
And, barring major chaos, we will know how political/independent the committee actually is based on whether or not Wisconsin is one of the final four.

And, barring major chaos, we will know how political/independent the committee actually is based on whether or not Wisconsin is one of the final four.
Notre Dame’s schedule saves them but I really wish the committee had to decide between a 11-1 Notre Dame and 12-1 Oklahoma or 12-1 Clemson to get in.

The Irish should get screwed in that scenario IMO.
Alabama is in at 12-1
Georgia would be as well as they have the head to head win at Notre Dame.

These teams would be the debate 3 teams 2 slots.
I think Oklahoma would be left out and that would be a blue blood with a win at Ohio State out.
Clemson would have so many quality wins I can’t see them out.

Notre Dame-Miami is a game that guarantees an ACC bid if Miami wins.

So were saying the Cuse gets at least 1 more win and Rutgers gets 1 more win and the battle for the big apple is on in the Pinstripe?

Notre Dame’s schedule saves them but I really wish the committee had to decide between a 11-1 Notre Dame and 12-1 Oklahoma or 12-1 Clemson to get in.

Alabama is in at 12-1

I think Oklahoma would be left out and that would be a blue blood with a win at Ohio State out.

The interesting scenario would be what would happen to Bama if they lost the SEC title game, particularly if they lost decisively. Bama will have played a very soft schedule other than Auburn. Much softer than what ND played. And they both would have one common loss.

Alabama is in at 12-1

If ND doesn't get in at 11-1 this season, so it goes. Part of the deal being a football independent.

Try to do better next year and win them all. No sour grapes here if ND gets left out as an indy at 11-1.

If ND doesn't get in at 11-1 this season, so it goes. Part of the deal being a football independent.

Try to do better next year and win them all. No sour grapes here if ND gets left out as an indy at 11-1.
They will lose against the 'Canes next week anyways.

They will lose against the 'Canes next week anyways.

I hope not, but if so, that is okay too.

ND was 4-8 last year.

I am enjoying the hell out of this magical turnaround season at 8-1 right now.

Nothing is going to detract from that going forward.

I hope not, but if so, that is okay too.

ND was 4-8 last year.

I am enjoying the hell out of this magical turnaround season at 8-1 right now.

Nothing is going to detract from that going forward.
Every guy on that team is a 4 star or higher. It's not like their some also ran. But if your happy, that really is all that matters.

The way Miami is playing tonight they will certainly be in the discussion.

and they still have games vs. ND and Clemson in the ACC title game

Big 10 house of cards schedule Ponzi scheme collapsed last night

Alabama is in at 12-1

Last sentence says it all. Miami can help the ACC and everyone else by kicking ND to the curb. That would virtually cinch the winner of the ACC Championship getting in, whether it's Clemson or Miami. A loss to UM, and ND is toast, unless other chips fall just right.

Let's all take a moment to appreciate the fact that our neighbors to the west are dealing w/ an absolute train wreck, while the ACC has 2 teams in the mix for a FF spot (+ND*), and neither ACC team is named "FSU."

Not only are we showing real depth of **programs**, but we're also showing (and have shown) that our big dogs can compete at the top w/ anybody.

And, given our performance vs. Clemson and Miami, I think that SU is much closer to being 'there' than our record indicates.

Every guy on that team is a 4 star or higher. It's not like their some also ran. But if your happy, that really is all that matters.

Lol, it is to me, sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom