Class of 2019 - Grad QB Cole Snyder (PA) Portal from UBuffalo to EMU | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Grad QB Cole Snyder (PA) Portal from UBuffalo to EMU

Wasn’t there another high school quarterback, I think he reopened his recruitment, that Coach Brown offered?

Not saying you aren’t, I just think we’re at a place now where people can speak their minds and if it’s a critical but not overly negative opinion of something, they can at least not expect to get stoned on the board. That’s all.

Yeah I think there’s really only a couple people on here who routinely jump over anything someone says they don’t like. With more nastiness than most people.

How he was ever rated #58 in the ESPN 300 really makes me question the evaluator's competence.
QB is the hardest position to evaluate in high school. Defenses are so much easier to figure out, so a guy with superior physical tools looks like a can't miss.

Villari will not be the a qb under the new staff other than to throw a trick play occasionally.
Have the same concerns as others for CDRW and Davis but I wonder if this staff will try to play to their strengths not weaknesses. I remember in CDRW when he was forced into action in his first game he looked good rolling out and throwing on the run. However once he was deemed the starter it seemed like he was told to stay in the pocket and throw. Seemed to take away his comfort level and creativity. Saw the same from the player from Miss that transferred.
I could be wrong but it seemed like DB wanted his qbs to stay in the pocket to throw versus rolling out and throw on the run. He did have them run but it was designed runs and runs after the play broke down versus designed roll outs to throw.
Maybe the staff can get CDRW back to playing to his strengths. He was highly rated coming out of high school. I know that is not a clear guarantee of success but he did have potential.
We will know more after spring ball. No way Fran goes into the season without a quality backup.
You make some good points about playing to guys strengths. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is CD-RW came in against Notre Dame, looked quick, ball is exploding out of his hand, we moved the ball against a defense that completely shut us down.

Yeah, yeah, they didn't have film, I know, whatever, but I want to know, what happened to that guy? We didn't see that kind of throwing velocity this season. Did we mess something up? Was he not healthy this season even before being out with injury?

QB is the hardest position to evaluate in high school. Defenses are so much easier to figure out, so a guy with superior physical tools looks like a can't miss.
Dont count him out. Coach Nun and Nixon might just turn him into a good player. Kid has all of the physical tools.

I'd rather have Jakhari as the backup. This guy isn't it.
This guy isn’t what ?
Isn’t a proven D1 QB who can run an O and compile stats?
Isn’t a guy with a lot of starting experience under his belt?
We don’t need QB2 to be a 4 star talent we just need someone to relieve QB 1 in case of injury.

I think Snyder is a great fit IF he’s willing to backup. I’m guessing he’s looking to start.

This guy isn’t what ?
Isn’t a proven division 1 QB who can run an O and rack up stats?
We don’t need QB2 to be a 4 star talent we just need someone to relieve QB 1 in case of injury.

I think a QB like this is a great fit IF he’s willing to backup. I’m guessing he’s looking to start.
We need a guy that can come in in the event of injury who can let the defense and running game do their work while game managing and not making mistakes. Doesn’t have to be sexy but just needs to be a guy that can make smart passes and not be an interception or fumble machine.

And it would be nice to be in a position where it’s not a true freshman getting trial by fire out of necessity. If the freshman is ready then fine.

Yeah Villarri is not really a "QB" and yes I know his history. He was an "in case of emergency break glass" Wildcat. We need another QB in this class but it won't be easy. If we can get this UB guy it's a no brainer.
Agree. I think Villari helps the team way more at the TE position so that's where I want him.

This guy isn’t what ?
Isn’t a proven D1 QB who can run an O and compile stats?

I think Snyder is a great fit IF he’s willing to backup. I’m guessing he’s looking to start.
Based on what Fran has said about character in the locker room, I don't know if he fits that. I'll leave it there.

Yeah Villarri is not really a "QB" and yes I know his history. He was an "in case of emergency break glass" Wildcat. We need another QB in this class but it won't be easy. If we can get this UB guy it's a no brainer.
That is why I would rather see a veteran come in. Interesting thought about another year for McCord but even if he was granted one I think he will try for the NFL.

I'd like to bring one more portal guy in who is open to being a backup at a P-4 school. Let's move Villari off the depth chart entirely in that scenario, and let him be a TE.
Yeah, I don’t think HCFB plans to use DV at QB. That was a desperation move by the last staff. Dan’s future is as a TE.

Yeah figured this was the eventual outcome based on what I heard. He wanted to be a starter. Can't blame him.

Nope -- can't blame him at all.

As soon as we landed McCord, I figured this was never going to go anywhere.

Great pick up for Eastern Michigan. I figured this wouldn't happen after McCord landed. I don't know if you are going to find any QBs in the portal that want to transfer to be a back up. They're most likely transferring because they want to start. I think we roll with CDRW, Davis, and Jakhari as back-ups for the 2024 season. Then hope either Jakhari is ready to take the ropes in 2025 or we bring in a stud freshman like Murphy who can start on day 1.

Great pick up for Eastern Michigan. I figured this wouldn't happen after McCord landed. I don't know if you are going to find any QBs in the portal that want to transfer to be a back up. They're most likely transferring because they want to start. I think we roll with CDRW, Davis, and Jakhari as back-ups for the 2024 season. Then hope either Jakhari is ready to take the ropes in 2025 or we bring in a stud freshman like Murphy who can start on day 1.
Or bring in another portal plug-n-play QB like McCord.

Agree. Also, we may bring in another senior transfer like McCord to give jakhari one more year? We have options for sure after this year dependent on HS class and Jakhari development. If by end of season one Jakhari is ACC starter level then roll the dice. If you do not believe he can lead cuse to the levels Fran expects, then portal.

I don't think he was a take after his visit. As I mentioned, Fran emphasized certain characteristics he wanted in his players.

This kid is FCS quality, so good on him for getting a starting shot at EMU. Wasn't right for our program.

Good luck to Cole. Good decision on his part.

EMU has been on the upswing. I wish him much success there.
Chris Creighton is a super interesting person, I hope he can get EMU to the top of the MAC.

Yup I think the lure to start was to much and you can't blame a player wanting to play.

Agree. Also, we may bring in another senior transfer like McCord to give jakhari one more year? We have options for sure after this year dependent on HS class and Jakhari development. If by end of season one Jakhari is ACC starter level then roll the dice. If you do not believe he can lead cuse to the levels Fran expects, then portal.
One other option could be another portal QB in the spring - a player with a few years of eligibility left who could be in the room this year, possibly be the primary back up to McCord and a competitor for QB1 next year. Or even a late '24 flip by the next HS Signing Day.

Bottom line: the '24 QB room likely isn't settled yet - not with the tenacious HCFB in charge. Snyder may have been Plan A for this year's back up but I'm confident he wasn't the only plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom