Class of 2019 - Grad QB Cole Snyder (PA) Portal from UBuffalo to EMU | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 Grad QB Cole Snyder (PA) Portal from UBuffalo to EMU

One other option could be another portal QB in the spring - a player with a few years of eligibility left who could be in the room this year, possibly be the primary back up to McCord and a competitor for QB1 next year. Or even a late '24 flip by the next HS Signing Day.

Bottom line: the '24 QB room likely isn't settled yet - not with the tenacious HCFB in charge. Snyder may have been Plan A for this year's back up but I'm confident he wasn't the only plan.
Snyder was never a plan for the back up position.

He may have been Option C or D as a starter if we couldn't land our main targets.

He may have been Option C or D as a starter if we couldn't land our main targets.
I think it's far worse that he was an option as a starter under any circumstances than a primary option for a backup.

One other option could be another portal QB in the spring - a player with a few years of eligibility left who could be in the room this year, possibly be the primary back up to McCord and a competitor for QB1 next year. Or even a late '24 flip by the next HS Signing Day.

Bottom line: the '24 QB room likely isn't settled yet - not with the tenacious HCFB in charge. Snyder may have been Plan A for this year's back up but I'm confident he wasn't the only plan.
Great points! I could definitely see the late QB transfer pickup post spring camp

I think it's far worse that he was an option as a starter under any circumstances than a primary option for a backup.
I don't think he really was an option. I think he was a kid we brought out for a visit to see if we could turn him into something and we decided against it.

I don't think he really was an option. I think he was a kid we brought out for a visit to see if we could turn him into something and we decided against it.
I got info from him second hand that he didn't want to be a backup, but it's a moot point now so doesn't matter.

Heard the opposite, was someone they thought could bring in to play a veteran type role if they ended up with a younger portal guy but was never going to be the starter and was thought as a potential backup as his options dwindled but clearly he wanted to start.

Well, whether he was or wasn't, I'm sure Coach Fran isn't finished with the '24 QB room yet. I highly doubt he'd be very comfortable going into next season with just CDRW, Davis and a Frosh Williams (or an added Freshman) as McCord's only back up options. That doesn't seem like a risk Coach Fran would take.

Well, whether he was or wasn't, I'm sure Coach Fran isn't finished with the '24 QB room yet. I highly doubt he'd be very comfortable going into next season with just CDRW, Davis and a Frosh Williams (or an added Freshman) as McCord's only back up options. That doesn't seem like a risk Coach Fran would take.
100% agree

Not a risk any coach would take.

Heard the opposite, was someone they thought could bring in to play a veteran type role if they ended up with a younger portal guy but was never going to be the starter and was thought as a potential backup as his options dwindled but clearly he wanted to start.
Jives with what I heard.

Meant to post that to your post not my own lol

That's an unfair criticism after the fact. A year ago the board was praising Dino for landing 3 SEC QB's through the portal. The fact that the first of them got hurt and the other two didn't work out led to Dino's demise, but nobody was mocking our QB room at the time.
I was one that wasn't sold on our other QBs outside of Shrader, but I thought, if given time, Beck was going to take care of that.

That's an unfair criticism after the fact. A year ago the board was praising Dino for landing 3 SEC QB's through the portal. The fact that the first of them got hurt and the other two didn't work out led to Dino's demise, but nobody was mocking our QB room at the time.
But that’s the most fun kind of criticism

I see your point, but fair or not, you're judged on whether your decisions work out, not whether they make sense at the time. I've made a few decisions at work that made sense at the time that blew up in my face. I don't fault anyone for Shrader getting hurt, but to not have a serviceable backup has to fall on someone.

Last edited:
I see your point, but fair or not, you're judged on whether your decisions work out, not whether they make sense at the time. I've made a few decisions at work that made sense at the time that blew up in my face, I don't fault anyone for Shrader getting hurt, but to not have a serviceable backup has to fall on someone.
This is the same decision that the new staff is facing right now. You have your starting QB 100%, but who will be the no.2 guy in case of injury? So many teams last year had really great seasons going, lost their starting QB, and it all went sideways. Air Force, FSU, UMASS, Duke, Kansas as well as Syracuse just to name a few.

This is the same decision that the new staff is facing right now. You have your starting QB 100%, but who will be the no.2 guy in case of injury? So many teams last year had really great seasons going, lost their starting QB, and it all went sideways. Air Force, FSU, UMASS, Duke, Kansas as well as Syracuse just to name a few.
Last I checked, Kansas was putting up 49 points in their bowl game with their backup QB, Grayson Loftis was respectable for Duke after Riley Leonard got hurt and Tate Rodemaker did a lot better as a backup for FSU against Florida than CDRW ever looked..., and I don't care enough about UMass to research.

Last I checked, Kansas was putting up 49 points in their bowl game with their backup QB, Grayson Loftis was respectable for Duke after Riley Leonard got hurt and Tate Rodemaker did a lot better as a backup for FSU against Florida than CDRW ever looked..., and I don't care enough about UMass to research.
Point I'm making is that it's not easy to get a real quality guy to sit when if he is that good, he probably can get a starting spot like Snyder just did. AND, as of right now CDRW is the backup.

I wonder if we could go JUCO on a transfer QB as well??

Would be nice if we got someone with at least 2 yrs left that was good enough to compete with Jakhari for the job once McCord is gone...

Doesn’t look like he has landed anywhere. I know it’s a pipe dream but man would he be a great QB2.

Agreed.

Looks like Kurt Warner's Kid EJ transferred from Temple to Rice as well... but he was always going to go to a place he'd start.

I wonder if we could go JUCO on a transfer QB as well??

Would be nice if we got someone with at least 2 yrs left that was good enough to compete with Jakhari for the job once McCord is gone...
We need someone - I'll be curious to see where they go with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom