Grant gone according to inside source. | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Grant gone according to inside source.

G is much better and smoother offensively at the 3.

If no Grant next year I think G will have to play more 3 than 2 (unless BJ makes big jump) - with Roberson/Mc switching off at the 4
AKA, we'll need to find an actual backup PG pronto

i myself gotta wonder a bit about our medical staff. why the hell was DCII on the court after sitting out so long for 5 measly mop up minutes just before they announce season ending surgery?

let's not put this on the medical staff. if it was up to them they wouldn't have been playing our guys 40mins/game

No Grant for Syracuse next year means I think we will be like the 2008 Syracuse Orange. Johnny Flynn, Donte Greene, Scoop Jardine, Rick Jackson Fr, Paul Harris, Andy Rautins(redshirted) Arinze Onuaku So, Kristiof Onegnaut, Eric Devendorf Jr, Josh Wright Sr.

That team like next year had a lot of young unproven talent. That team would have made the tournament with the First Four like we have now. I think we will be better than that 2008 team, but we will struggle they did at times as well.

That year Rautins, Devendorf were out because of injury, Josh Wright quit during the season and Scoop lost a couple of games being suspended. That team was decimated by injuries and dysfunction.

You guys are incredible.

Joseph, Patterson, Cooney, Johnson, Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough, Rak, Obokoh and Coleman.

How the hell is that a bad team.

Well given that we've seen like 3 of them play in games that matter and a bunch of them we've never seen play at all, it's kind of hard to know if it's a bad team or good team.

You(and I) have no idea if most of those guys are any good at this point.

"Joseph, Patterson, Cooney, Johnson, Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough, Rak, Obokoh and Coleman."

joseph,mccullough,obokoh: no experience whatsoever.
patterson,johnson,roberson,coleman: very, very limited experience.
cooney,gbinje,xmas: somewhat experienced and yet all proven inconsistent.

what me worry?

Last edited:
No idea what this means, and he can't rebound as a zone wing.
It means he gives more offensive production at the 3

It means he gives more offensive production at the 3

Not really. He is what he is - a guy who can occasionally hit a three, occasionally get into the lane off the bounce, and is a decent passer. Position didn't matter, and rarely does in JB's sets. JB is about personnel, not position.

Not really. He is what he is - a guy who can occasionally hit a three, occasionally get into the lane off the bounce, and is a decent passer. Position didn't matter, and rarely does in JB's sets. JB is about personnel, not position.
I actually think he is going to be really good off the bounce next year.

FWIW, I heard Grant's parents aren't happy with the way his injuries were handled. This could be a huge factor in his decision.
I heard it was Obamacare!
Seriously though...has ANY of this- especially the original invisible tweet, been confirmed?
I prefer to temper speculation until the OP's assertation is at least proven. Please?

Grant is gone. Looking at Kaleb, Cooney, (Gbinje/Roberson), McCullough, Rak (Coleman) next year. Kind of reminds me of Todd Burgan's Sr. year when they lost to Oklahoma State. Win games they should win. Win games they shouldn't win. Lose games they should win. Lose games they should lose. 1 blow out loss (E.g. Michigan that year). Maybe surprise some folks. Sweet 16 is the goal. Anything more is gravy. Anything less is expected.

Although I am not entirely sure why, I feel the same way.

The lose of Ennis, Grant, Fair, Baye and maybe DC seems like it will lend itself to having to play lots of guys and combinations early in the season for JB to figure out exactly what he has. I like the thought of throwing the young guys out there and "turning them loose." The offense really could not be any worse, could it? The competition in practice for time will be intense. The chemistry should be good.

Let's see what these kids bring to the table. And, historically, JB was done some of his best work in similar situations.
Yup. Fair, Baye and Ennis' steadiness may have given Coach too much of a crutch. He'll have to find new guys to rely on, for better or worse.

I'm looking forward to it.

How? I assume if Grant is gone Roberson will have to start with McCullough. No matter what people think XMAS will be playing center 30+ minutes per game next year (if no foul trouble).

Silent G will have to get guard minutes so we only have Johnson really as backup forward. Yeeesh.

I don't see that at all. We have three centers, one of whom could play forward. We have four forwards, two of whom could play guard and three guards. It's not how many guys. It's how good they turn out to be.

I don't understand what people are getting so worked up about. This scenario is the same at all the top tier programs. If you recruit elite level players they are going to leave early for the NBA. That's just the reality of college basketball for a top 10 program. This has has happened to SU for at least 5 years straight now if my memory serves me correctly. This is the norm get used to it.

Yeah, but you kind of wish you got to see that player as more of a finished product.

I think G gets to the rim better from the wing (as a F) than from up top, as a guard. He's not the kind of guy who can drive past most college guards, but he is quick and elusive enough to get by forwards guarding him. A tweener, so it matters where he starts his offense from.

I could see Gbinije spotting minutes for mccullough next year. He might not quite have the height of rak, or roberson but the strength.
Grant is kidding himself if he thinks he is ready for the nba

Agree but who needs to be ready for the nba when you are ready for money.

I think G gets to the rim better from the wing (as a F) than from up top, as a guard. He's not the kind of guy who can drive past most college guards, but he is quick and elusive enough to get by forwards guarding him. A tweener, so it matters where he starts his offense from.

Gbinije has put the most strength on of any guards forwards on the team and its not even close.(unless you count rak/dc as forward).

If he could shoot off the dribble and drain 3's he would be in the nba right now, no doubt in my mind.

With or without Grant, next year's team looks like it could be one of the worst in recent memory. Tons of inexperience, a lack of shooters and question marks all over the place. They could certainly surprise, but on paper, I think they're going to be extremely flawed heading into the season.

And I don't think a JUCO or grad transfer changes much. It'll be a transition year, with the 2015-2016 looking like it could be pretty great assuming we grab another high end recruit (Bryant?).

With or without Grant, next year's team looks like it could be one of the worst in recent memory. Tons of inexperience, a lack of shooters and question marks all over the place. They could certainly surprise, but on paper, I think they're going to be extremely flawed heading into the season.

And I don't think a JUCO or grad transfer changes much. It'll be a transition year, with the 2015-2016 looking like it could be pretty great assuming we grab another high end recruit (Bryant?).
As opposed to 'could be one of the worst', I would substitute 'has the biggest question marks' in recent memory. I have learned not to underestimate what JAB does with teams from which not much is expected. I agree with everything else you say.

As opposed to 'could be one of the worst', I would substitute 'has the biggest question marks' in recent memory. I have learned not to underestimate what JAB does with teams from which not much is expected. I agree with everything else you say.
I'm resigned to 2014-15 being a "transition" year. I'm okay with it as long as it results in a National Championship in 2016.

Seattle Seahawks were full of youth and inexperience in 2012. They sneaked into the playoffs resulting on a good platform to build on for the following season. Of course it resulted in a Super Bowl win the next year. That's the trajectory I want to see out of SU basketball between the Fall of 2014 and March/April of 2016.

Grant is gone. Looking at Kaleb, Cooney, (Gbinje/Roberson), McCullough, Rak (Coleman) next year. Kind of reminds me of Todd Burgan's Sr. year when they lost to Oklahoma State. Win games they should win. Win games they shouldn't win. Lose games they should win. Lose games they should lose. 1 blow out loss (E.g. Michigan that year). Maybe surprise some folks. Sweet 16 is the goal. Anything more is gravy. Anything less is expected.

Burgan's senior year was the year they went to the sweet 16 and lost to Duke. The year they lost to Ok.State was the first round and that was the year after Burgan left when Blackwell / Thomas / Hart were juniors. I only correct because those two teams goals are very different, so I would be interested in the clarification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom