Grant gone according to inside source. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Grant gone according to inside source.

You haven't seen McCullough shoot yet. He can't.

He can shoot some, but yes, he's got a lot of work to do.

If he had BJ's jump shot and Roberson's tenacity, he would be unstoppable.

Gordon is a much more fluid athlete and gets up and down the floor better. Grant is a prototypical long athlete but I don't think he's fluid enough, similar to Warrick. I think he could have improved his stock greatly with another year. I just don't see where he plays in the NBA with his skills and size.

I think that Warrick could have been just as successful as Shawn Marion, if only he could have found a team that played that style and used him in that role when he first came into the league.

If I'm an NBA GM, I see a tweeter SF/PF with good athleticism but falls on the court a lot, has a decent mid range jump shot, but no 3pt shot and a weak handle, whose primary move is to spin into 3 defenders, and a college player that has come up big on limited occassions. If I'm an owner, I want my money to buy more than JG.

Imo Grants biggest obstacle is becoming a isolation scorer. If he doesn't and returned next year his draft stock could fall even further. Alittle strength or if he really refines his jumpshot, and he becomes one.

That being said can't say its a bad decision for him. IMO a even better decision then Ennis because its potential where Ennis is alittle proven. If he were to come back, he could also become a poor mans cj fair in iso, and his draft stock could fall.

Everyone was gushing over grant preseason. He has shown a rediculous athleticism, and a solid dribble to the hoop and really extended his potential. Not to mention the mono incident took about 15 pounds off him, and could have set his iso game back a year.

Gordon is a much more fluid athlete and gets up and down the floor better. Grant is a prototypical long athlete but I don't think he's fluid enough, similar to Warrick. I think he could have improved his stock greatly with another year. I just don't see where he plays in the NBA with his skills and size.
Except Warrick had an extremely better offensive game.

Except Warrick had an extremely better offensive game.
Even as sophs, Warrick had a better offensive game, even though it was similar. I just think they were similar athletes, long and lanky, skinny, but not super fluid, though I think Warrick was a bit quicker.

The kid doesn't have the skills to stick. He's not even as good as Hakim Warrick at this point and Warrick has always been a tweener.

Wee bit of an understatement, Matthew. Hak rang up 14.8 pts & 8.5 reb his sophomore year. JG's 12.1 & 6.8 might not seem that far behind, but even then, Hak's individual ability to make things happen was way out in front. And I didn't hear Billy Packer calling DC2 "the ballet dancer" this past year.

Last edited:
He can shoot some, but yes, he's got a lot of work to do.

If he had BJ's jump shot and Roberson's tenacity, he would be unstoppable.

He seems able to make jumpers in this tape:

It's against high school opposition but it helps to be 6-10. His release seems pretty quick.

When has "ready" had anything to do with it? Another year in college isn't going to make Ennis more athletic, it will just give the scouts another year to pick apart his weaknesses (lateral quickness, first step, etc.). He needs to get stronger, and improve his jump shot, but why not do that while getting paid?
That's a logical view.
But there often seems to be a lack of logic when it comes to the NBA draft.
Teams don't give a draft pick the time to develop.
If you can't cut it quickly...you sit and then you're gone.
After all, there's another draft coming next year.

Both Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant will face huge challenges in the NBA...where EVERYONE is a superior athlete and can exploit weaknesses.
With Ennis it's quickness and strength. With Grant it's strength and shot.
Both could be going to the NBA in MUCH stronger position with another year in college...irrespective of how high they may be drafted this year.

Dude, take it easy. National titles are "just a possibility" at every school. Kids want to go pro - Tyler and Jerami have an opportunity to go in the first round, and they are taking it. Most kids around the country are making the same decision. This isn't unique to Cuse. The fact that we have so many kids leaving early is a testament to JB's talent evaluation skills, and will only help us land more talented kids in the future.

Well said. I wonder if unc fans reacted similarly to mcadoo or if the best programs' fans are a bit ahead of cuse fans on the learning curve to accept that most kids that are likely first round are going to go, regardless of views on whether they should. Cuse has had success in this new era - where many kids focus on going to the school/coach that can get them to the league and then on getting there asap - with a lot of guys that were not good enough to leave early but were still great players to have. As the program has continued to ascend, it's getting top recruits more consistently, spending a lot of time in top 10 and getting a lot of attention nationally. With that comes opportunity and with that comes more early departures. I was hoping (and perhaps naively expecting) to go 1 for 2 with Ennis and grant, that's a huge disappointment if it's an 0-2 but with a steady flow of players other schools would have loved to have I really cannot understand the bitterness or the woe is us reaction.

Cripes, guys, this season has not even ended... and you're already predicting doom and gloom for the end of NEXT season.

I have never seen such a group of unhappy pessimists.
You didn't live in Syracuse long enough! Doom and gloom is the Syracuse motto. Also we hate change

I don't understand what people are getting so worked up about. This scenario is the same at all the top tier programs. If you recruit elite level players they are going to leave early for the NBA. That's just the reality of college basketball for a top 10 program. This has has happened to SU for at least 5 years straight now if my memory serves me correctly. This is the norm get used to it.

anglerman said:
I don't understand what people are getting so worked up about. This scenario is the same at all the top tier programs. If you recruit elite level players they are going to leave early for the NBA. That's just the reality of college basketball for a top 10 program. This has has happened to SU for at least 5 years straight now if my memory serves me correctly. This is the norm get used to it.

Oh, we're used it. It's getting pretty old, in fact. It's just tough to swallow when the players aren't ready, and don't give me the line about potential.

That's a logical view.
But there often seems to be a lack of logic when it comes to the NBA draft.
Teams don't give a draft pick the time to develop.
If you can't cut it quickly...you sit and then you're gone.
After all, there's another draft coming next year.

Both Tyler Ennis and Jerami Grant will face huge challenges in the NBA...where EVERYONE is a superior athlete and can exploit weaknesses.
With Ennis it's quickness and strength. With Grant it's strength and shot.
Both could be going to the NBA in MUCH stronger position with another year in college...irrespective of how high they may be drafted this year.

The flow of talent to the NBA continues every year and they don't have five year plans. I'd want to be 100% of what I could be- or at least 90%- when I first present myself to the NBA for judgement. There aren't a lot of second chance success stories. I think Ennis may be 80% and Grant maybe 2/3 of what they could be. Yeah, they will make a lot of money for a couple of years but not as much as they might have if they'd stayed. But young people can be a little near-sighted.

Of course I'm part of the group that said MCW would spend the year in the D League. His team belonged in the D-League but he didn't.

I am holding out hope Grant changes his mind. It sounds like he did already to stay then change his mind to leave. Maybe he changes back. In this case I think it at least is an option on the table.

I honestly don't see any real anger towards this decision. Grant should go if he feels ready. The NBA doesn't draft finished products anymore. There is a franchise player entering every 5 years or so. Grant can look at the players entering the NBA and feel he can make the jump.
We aren't a NC contender with Grant back as long as neither Roberson or McColough leave early after next yr I like them playing more next yr. We are a tourney team either way.

If I'm an NBA GM, I see a tweeter SF/PF with good athleticism but falls on the court a lot, has a decent mid range jump shot, but no 3pt shot and a weak handle, whose primary move is to spin into 3 defenders, and a college player that has come up big on limited occassions. If I'm an owner, I want my money to buy more than JG.
That's odd. That sounds way more like the take of someone that watched a lot of Syracuse games this season than an NBA GM's take.

Alsacs said:
I honestly don't see any real anger towards this decision. Grant should go if he feels ready. The NBA doesn't draft finished products anymore. There is a franchise player entering every 5 years or so. Grant can look at the players entering the NBA and feel he can make the jump. We aren't a NC contender with Grant back as long as neither Roberson or McColough leave early after next yr I like them playing more next yr. We are a tourney team either way.

No one is angry. It's disappointment. We're SU fans. We want SU to win a lot of games. Without Grant, they figure to win less games. Simple.

And this isn't the pros. If you can figure out whose going to spell McCullough for minutes at power forward next year, let me know.

No one is angry. It's disappointment. We're SU fans. We want SU to win a lot of games. Without Grant, they figure to win less games. Simple.

And this isn't the pros. If you can figure out whose going to spell McCullough for minutes at power forward next year, let me know.
Who did JB sit Fair or Grant for this year? We don't need depth as JB doesn't play more than 7 or 8 guys anyway. Grant is worth maybe 1 or 2 wins IMO maybe the difference between being an 8 seed or 11 seed in the tournament.

We all want Syracuse to win games but I don't care if we win 21 games or 25 games next regular season. Grant is a solid player but he isn't a different maker for Syracuse next season. Johnson is going to have to play the 3 as a backup and Roberson will play the 4 if we need to shuffle around.

I was saying go after Temple's Anthony Lee for weeks because I expected Grant to go but we weren't in his top 5 so I doubt we went after him.

I believe Bjorn still has eligibility and think his silence is a sure sign that something is up. Anyone hear differently?

not surprised, our track record with guys returning is pretty much god awful. cj and who else? maybe hak coming back for his senior year but i cant remember if there was serious talk of him leaving.
FWIW, I heard Grant's parents aren't happy with the way his injuries were handled. This could be a huge factor in his decision.

61.jpg

FWIW, I heard Grant's parents aren't happy with the way his injuries were handled. This could be a huge factor in his decision.

Wow. Very disappointing if true.

So am I the only one who is skeptical of this whole Grant is gone idea. Where is the proof? Sure he could go and it would not surprise me, but this seems to be a but over the top reaction to a "Twitter source" which could be the worst source of info on the planet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom