Greenberg on ESPN right now, has us losing to Duke and VA... | Syracusefan.com

Greenberg on ESPN right now, has us losing to Duke and VA...

jr4750

All American
Losing the ACC and the one seed to both those teams as well.

Edit: Not trying to stir the pot, or saying I believe everything these fools say. Just passing along the info for board banter.

Last edited:
What do you mean by losing the one seed?

In the ACC tournament? If so, how could they lose it to "both teams?"

If you mean NCAA tournament, you're (he's?) smoking crack.

this is getting ridiculous.

I mean, maybe we will lose at UVa, but the Cavs getting a #1 seed? Seriously? Has a 1-seed ever lost to a non-tourney team by 35+?

Losing the ACC and the one seed to both those teams as well. Are they paid to hate on cuse?

If those comments means hating on the Cuse, then JB hates on the Cuse. JB has been saying for some time that we are good, but not as good as our record. In several (4-5) of our games, a couple of balls bounce the other way and our last minute heroics would not have produced a win. That's not hating, or negativity. That's reality.

Incidentally, Greenburg also said that JB is the best coach in the country in terms of end-of-game strategy. That's not hating either. That's reality.

If those comments means hating on the Cuse, then JB hates on the Cuse. JB has been saying for some time that we are good, but not as good as our record. In several (4-5) of our games, a couple of balls bounce the other way and our last minute heroics would not have produced a win. That's not hating, or negativity. That's reality.

Incidentally, Greenburg also said that JB is the best coach in the country in terms of end-of-game strategy. That's not hating either. That's reality.

Balls bounce the right away for good teams. This board (and Boeheim) have an inferiority complex.

Maybe it's time for a generic "[Insert Person and/or statistic here] is disrespecting Syracuse" thread?

It is never, ever going to be the case that the millions of words spilled about college basketball are universally complimentary of Syracuse (or anyone). Folks seem determined to re-learn that lesson several times a day for reasons I can't quite understand.

AccuRater said:

I agree with coach! This team is good but not great. Anyone who thinks its a great team surely doesn't remember great college teams of the past. I'm pleasantly surprised when we continue to win. I would love to see this team win out but I can also see them losing 2-3 before the ACC tourney.

Balls bounce the right away for good teams. This board (and Boeheim) have an inferiority complex.

"this board" doesn't have an inferiority complex. although some posters might fit your diagnosis.

He means the ACC Tournament. If we go 29-2 we are LOCK for a 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and if Duke loses 1 game before selection Sunday we are the 1 seed in the East. Seth loves Florida and thinks our depth is a problem. He is fair.

our depth isnt a problem if baye is healthy. ill go to war with these 7 anytime

ennis
cooney
xmas
grant
cj
baye
silent g

Man-oh-man... Damn the day someone says something bad about Syracuse. Some fans on this board are seriously wound too tightly.

"OH MY GOD...I was listening to the Digger & Podunk show on an ESPN affiliate in Goober Nebraska and they said Syracuse plays a YMCA rec league zone defense. HOW DARE THEY!"

If UVA beats us AND gets a number one NCAA seed because of it, I will shovel JoeCollege's driveway the rest of the winter. And I'm telling you right now that ain't happening.

I love Greeney, but he's trolling in hyperbole again. The only people who we need to worry about are the Selection Committee and what they think. We drop two or three games the rest of the way, I still don't see them giving up our #1 seed. If we beat Duke at Cameron, or even just drop a close one, we are a lock for a #1 as long as we finish up the regular season strong. UVA can't touch a #1 seed. A meteor would have to take out SU and Duke for them to sniff one.

Greenburg jumped off the SU bandwagon after the close wins over Pitt and NC St. Now he thinks we're overrated. But every other team has close wins also. They just weren't as dramatic or in the spotlight which is what happens to the #1 ranked team. For example:
UVA -- 3 close wins: SMU by 3, Pitt by 3 on a buzzer beater, Clemson by 5 (in a game that went to the last minute).

Duke -- 3 close wins: Vermont by 1, UVA by 4, Maryland by 2 (and MD's last shot rimmed out).

Florida-- 3 close wins: Florida St by 1, Memphis by 2, Arkansas by 2 in OT.

Every highly ranked team has some close wins...I'm not looking up all of them but you get the point.

If Duke wins out and wins the ACC tournament, they will likely get the 1 seed over us - particularly if they beat us twice. And if Virginia beats us, they will likely be the 1 seed in the ACC tournament based on their schedule the rest of the way. Let's hope none of that happens. But Duke is likely to be favored at home on Saturday and it would not surprise me if Virginia was a slight favorite at home as well.

Losing the ACC and the one seed to both those teams as well. Are they paid to hate on cuse?
He didn't say we'd lose a 1-seed, he said Virginia wins the ACC regular season title. BFD.

He really didn't come across as a hater at all. Lets see how it plays out. We win either at Duke or at Virginia, most everyone jumps right back on board.

I wouldn't be shocked if we won both games.
I wouldn't either. My point was that it's not a crazy notion for an objective person to predict we will lose both of those games. They are both very good teams who are playing very confidently right now. It's not really a knock on SU to predict losses in those road games.

That's not reality, that's conjecture. Reality is we won.

I don't mind this for two reasons:

1. Undefeated seasons are few and far between.

2. Any time you can give this team some fodder that's a good thing. We love it when we are underestimated. We thrive on it.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have played and watched sports as long as I can remember. I have seen the best of teams lose to the worst of teams. I have seen bad teams fight tooth and nail with good teams. Anything can happen any given night. But make no mistake about it... we are the cream of the crop. Losing can be a learning and humbling experience, don't fear it. Not until march anyways.

He didn't say we'd lose a 1-seed, he said Virginia wins the ACC regular season title. BFD.

He really didn't come across as a hater at all. Lets see how it plays out. We win either at Duke or at Virginia, most everyone jumps right back on board.

Not true, on the broadcast I saw, he said Duke got the 1 seed and would go to the FF. He said Cuse was to thin, playing only 6 guys.

Well, in my honest opinion, we ARE vulnerable... as is everyone else. Let's face it. JB is right. A few bounces here, luck there, and we are 25-0. We just as easily could be 23-2... proving Seth right. Furthermore, if say Duke, Arizona, et. al were in similar positions, I guarantee this board would be saying the same thing Seth and ESPN are.

As for the #1 seed, one would think at 29-2 we would be a LOCK, but I'm not exactly sold. Say we do lose to Virginia and Duke and either of them win out. They (rightfully should) jump us. I just don't see having lost two games down the stretch or even three (ACC tourney) why we should be ahead of the more recent success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom