Griffin - Anyone hear anything? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Griffin - Anyone hear anything?

He is not a good fit and hasn’t been since day 1. He’s a complete lunatic on the court and drives JB crazy in practice and during games. It’s not a shocker Illinois improved the way they did after he left. Cmon people this isn’t rocket science. He’s not coming back because he won’t be welcome back

I hope he’s back. Big talent who may improve year 2. We need guys who can take the coaching and get better.

I hope he’s back. Big talent who may improve year 2. We need guys who can take the coaching and get better.

Griff has not shown he can do either of those things.

It’s unlikely JB’s gonna want another season of Alan’s freelancing on O and going rogue on D (when he can be bothered to even play D at all).

He had some highlight blocks (one which saved our season) and was a reasonably effective scorer for a month or 2, but his non-injury regression in-season was the worst I can recall ever seeing.

(Roberson’s Sr year regression from his Jr year was the worst ever, but that happened right from the start, not during the actual season itself)

Of all the players on the team I would have guessed he is “least” likely to return. It just looks like a square peg in a round hole and with Benny coming in I don’t even see where he plays. So naturally he will probably be the one that returns.

I’m hearing we’re thinking of converting him to a 2 guard and letting the preseason competition decide who starts. No guarantees made.

I laughed for a bit - well played :)

Pretty sure we have a dunk competition to start the season and then we break off into two groups based on who can and cannot dunk.

One group is deemed coachable, the other un-coachable.

AG was maybe part of the problem, don't think he was that much of it.

He is not a good fit and hasn’t been since day 1. He’s a complete lunatic on the court and drives JB crazy in practice and during games. It’s not a shocker Illinois improved the way they did after he left. Cmon people this isn’t rocket science. He’s not coming back because he won’t be welcome back

JB just lost 3 players possibly more. I think saying he won't welcome him back given the roster circumstances is wrong.

I am more than okay with that. How does that conversation go? simply say you can stay but ae never playing? Can they just drop him?

personally i want AG back he was incredible for us in so many games this year. Funny how quickly people forget how good he was.
He was also absolutely invisible down the stretch and kept getting pulled for a guy that already left

Well, this makes me feel much better about our ability to properly evaluate guys in the portal who we'll need to contribute big minutes next season. ;)

I saw every second. I just don't give up on kids with great potential as easily as 98% of this board. I'll bet you're a great Dad.
Because dadding is the same thing as coaching/roster constructing?

That said, I think if he comes back he could show a similar level of improvement as Eli after his first full playing season. He would have to play differently because he knows JB isn’t inclined to give him free reign for an entire game. He saw his minutes slashed and for the sake of any pro career will have to demonstrate a better overall game. He shot a high percentage at Illy—who knew to reign him in—he’s athletic, can rebound, could defend if we had a scheme with more than just “man to man principles,” and he really would have no choice but to be more effective.

This year was an introduction and a Let Me See What I Can Get Away With on an illogical team. Next year is his resumé. He’s capable of putting up numbers. It would be a bad mark to transfer again and might set a course where he’d just repeat what he did this year.

That said, who knows what the Coach/Player dynamic is. It feels like the players don’t like being with us, and JB holds a lot of responsibility in that. It was good to see how Griffin responded to being pulled out of games, so there’s some hope, but... kids are kids.

He was also absolutely invisible down the stretch and kept getting pulled for a guy that already left
Guys have slumps. We need a third guard. AG can do that and play forward. With everyone leaving the way they have you would think more people would support the guys that did want to stay on the team.

AG is an enigma, for sure and I posted way back in November that he could be the most polarizing player in the fanbase, but when he's right he can be outstanding. If he returns, let's hope that's another year of knowledge in the program and maturity affords us more of the good and less of the head scratching. I'm down with AG's return...LGO

I think all of our first year players were hurt significantly by the loss of practice time early on. The zone is not a plug and play system and some kids pick it up quickly while others need more time. Griff fit into the latter group clearly and I believe his defensive struggles hurt his overall confidence and offensive game. WOuld be glad to have him back.

Zags has him coming back, id take his word. Ton of connections in Westchester and the Griffin fam

link? For some reason I can’t find it if it’s on his Twitter.

Looks like it was just updated with addition of Symir and AG bit changed from what it said earlier...

Yeah, maybe Griff found out from the NCAA that he can indeed transfer again and not sit?

Because I'd imagine if that were not the case, then his only other 2 legit options are:
  • Stay, if JB will have him
  • Leave, because JB won't have him.

What happened to the people that were saying, barring the impossible, griffin was a for sure one and done when he first transferred in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom