It pains me to say this, but Danny Hurley is the best coach in CBB right now | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

It pains me to say this, but Danny Hurley is the best coach in CBB right now

The interesting thing about their style is they dominate teams playing in the half court. They do not run at all. They are 316th in tempo and average 82ppg.

Virginia averages just 3 less possessions than them(slowest team in the country at 360) and averaged 62!
That’s banana pants.

It’s a shame how not being in a Power 5 conference has ruined their hoops program.

That’s probably my favorite colossally stupid take that’s ever been offered here.
This is quite the hot take itself, there are so many takes that could be defined as colossally stupid.

The interesting thing about their style is they dominate teams playing in the half court. They do not run at all. They are 316th in tempo and average 82ppg.

Virginia averages just 3 less possessions than them(slowest team in the country at 360) and averaged 62!
This is absolutely insane, just shows you how good of a coach he is. Dude is playing his guys to their and his coaching strengths. Every player has a purpose.

I'm not sure if its been that dazzling prior to the last 2 or 3 years (at least going back to 2012). 2023 and 2024 are really the only two really good teams they had all that period. I don't see what they did between 2012-2021 (or even 2010-2022) as anything we would want to emulate in terms of program performance. Because teams that do that aren't going to get as lucky in March.

I agree with the OP that Hurley has now taken UConn back to being a dominant team He has clearly elevated the program from where it was. Them winning the NC is not a major surprise mor filled with breaks now. Where the 2023 and 2024 teams fit the profile of a truly dominant team, rather than a team that is remarkably lucky in March like 2014 (and 2011 as well). Last year even as a 4 seed, they just felt dominant from the beginning, and this year they were dominant all year.

Is this our goal over our next 10 regular seasons? (UConn between 2012-2021)
Make the tournament 4 times, miss it 6 times.
Get seeds as follows - 7,7,9.9
Have a 3 years in a row where we are below .500

Sure they got a national title in there, but 99%+ of teams that follow this path over a 10 year period are not sniffing a national title. If we get a 7.7.9,9 in the next 10 years we are not getting a national title either, and likely not even a FInal 4.

Our goal could be what Hurley has done to re-elevate the program. But I don't think we want to learn a single damn thing from what they did between 2010-2021. Getting 2 national titles out of that was luck.
We don’t go to the tournament now and not even on the bubble, I’d take the championship. Hell I’d take their regular season and no post season.

Good for them

Eventually a top program will give him a blank check and then they're back to square one.

I'm not sure if its been that dazzling prior to the last 2 or 3 years (at least going back to 2012). 2023 and 2024 are really the only two really good teams they had all that period. I don't see what they did between 2012-2021 (or even 2010-2022) as anything we would want to emulate in terms of program performance. Because teams that do that aren't going to get as lucky in March.

I agree with the OP that Hurley has now taken UConn back to being a dominant team He has clearly elevated the program from where it was. Them winning the NC is not a major surprise mor filled with breaks now. Where the 2023 and 2024 teams fit the profile of a truly dominant team, rather than a team that is remarkably lucky in March like 2014 (and 2011 as well). Last year even as a 4 seed, they just felt dominant from the beginning, and this year they were dominant all year.

Sure they got a national title in there, but 99%+ of teams that follow this path over a 10 year period are not sniffing a national title. If we get a 7.7.9,9 in the next 10 years we are not getting a national title either, and likely not even a FInal 4.

Our goal could be what Hurley has done to re-elevate the program. But I don't think we want to learn a single damn thing from what they did between 2010-2021. Getting 2 national titles out of that was luck.
Yeah it took Hurley three seasons to make them a tourney team. They were also-rans in a bad AAC. He had a losing record his first year at UConn.

Good for them

Eventually a top program will give him a blank check and then they're back to square one.
Hate to break it to you. UConn is a top program. A top program none of us here like, but certainly a top program. The most successful program of the 21st century so far. There is still 3 quarters of the 21st century left for Syracuse to come out on top.

Doesn't also factor in football where SU is in a far better spot than they are

Hate to break it to you. UConn is a top program. A top program none of us here like, but certainly a top program. The most successful program of the 21st century so far. There is still 3 quarters of the 21st century left for Syracuse to come out on top.

They must be in a top conference then

Yeah it took Hurley three seasons to make them a tourney team. Thre also-rans in a bad AAC. He had a losing record his first year at UConn.

Part of that is what he started with, and they were still in the AAC. It takes time for good coaches, especially since the NCAA was not yet in the portal era. The program was in a messy situation despite the recent title.

Last edited:
Part of that is what he started with, and they were still in the AAC. It takes time for good coaches, especially since the NCAA was not yet in the portal era. The program was in a messy situation despite the recent title.
Oh, yeah, I totally agree. he’s proven to be a great coach. That was more a comment that Syracuse fans need to be patient with Red. It takes time. I always thought Hurley was a douche, and still think that, but I respect his flexibility and willingness to adjust and be open to new ideas. I hope Red turns out to be the same in that regard.