Gross needs to resign tonight...(It's back)! | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Gross needs to resign tonight...(It's back)!

I think he's talking about the old Snickers commercial, and the dude spelling the "Chiefs" the "Chefs".

Ok... well this fits right in with everything else he said, since this was posted on YouTube in 2009! The present snickers commercials have been running for at least a year I think.

How.

The hell.

Did NO ONE bother to look at the jersey.

BEFORE THE FREAKING CEREMONY.

How the hell can Giasante suggest that only one person ever saw the jersey? What the hell kind of delegation is that? "I'm sure you'll do fine with this, sport!" No one bothers to proof anything? Actually, that makes sense, given some of the other mistakes over the years.

Un-freaking-believable.

For the record, SUAD people who chose not to hire me last summer, I know how to spell Bouie.

In fairness, how long would it have taken to proofread? You're taking a whole twenty, maybe THIRTY seconds to make sure nothing was messed up. We're only talking about a ceremony honoring someone very important to the program that is going to be seen by thirty thousand people. Best to just assume everything is OK. what's the worst that can happen?

This is disgraceful on so many levels. I am not calling out new Orange fans , but JB spoke at my grammer school basketball banquet as an assistant in 75, getting grilled on why he took Marty Headd over John Kobar. Rosie Bouie also made himself available in the years thereafter and was close to our Southside grammer school as well, showing up with his belt buckle that was filled w pennies(had to see it) .

Bigger point, Rosie and company were our heroes , pre ESPN and internet, and accessable. He worked summers in St Agnes Cemetary digging grave sites and maintanince. He was a fabric of the community. Louie and Bouie beating Purdue and Joe Barry Carroll was huge, in honesty, better then any win other than the NC in 03. Wtih a more mature JB we beat Iowa and Ronnie Lester, ouch. If you did not experience these times you have no idea what RB meant to this team and community. Truth be told, he/they should have had their numbers retired earlier. ,

At the end of the day, JB was a local yokal, barely reconigized in the community, him getting RB changed everything! JB would never say it, but RB's abilty overcame a lot ot JB's warts as a new coach. To his credit, JB has evolved into a national treasure, but many fans can tell you " no Roosevelt no JB" .
Todays developments are beyond lame, dictated by men and women who have no idea of the people who came before them.
I remember that Purdue game. It was on national TV and a road game and it got a big write-up in Sports Illustrated. I believe Purdue was a top 5 team and the play of the game was a block by Rosie on Carroll at the rim on a fast break. If I recall, Sports Illustrated referred to it as "somewhere in the stratosphere."

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but how about the fact that they also presented the "Bowie" jersey to Orr. He had to hand it over to him. It seems like they didn't know which one was which.

Wait. What? Did that really happen?

It wasn't near as embarrassing but was a bit awkward that Gross also gave Rosie's jersey to Louie. Also, if you have the video and watch it, there is a short female family member or friend of Rosie's to his right and as Rosie turns around showing off the jersey, she notices the mistake and turns to someone and basically says What, they misspelled the name.

Highlights on local TV and now ESPN. Especially ironic since SU is so well known as a national media school aka "Newhouse School of Public Relations"...

At the end of the day, JB was a local yokal, barely reconigized in the community, him getting RB changed everything! JB would never say it, but RB's abilty overcame a lot ot JB's warts as a new coach. To his credit, JB has evolved into a national treasure, but many fans can tell you " no Roosevelt no JB" . Todays developments are beyond lame, dictated by men and women who have no idea of the people who came before them.

I was thinking about the Miracle on Ice reunion tonight in Lake Placid (They have all of the surviving team members together for the only the 2nd time) and how maybe SU could do something similar in JB's last season by getting all of the SU greats who played for him on one court at one time. I was thinking, the first guys you would have to introduce to the crowd are not DC or Melo. It's Bouie and Orr. They started it all. They made a huge contribution.

texascpa said:
Wait. What? Did that really happen?
omfg. That might be worse than this misspelling.

AZOrange said:
omfg. That might be worse than this misspelling.
Someone post this video. Please! This is nuts

We don't do any thing half-assed here...

B-ZPmwHIQAAZET7.jpg

We even spelled the name on the plate wrong. :bang:
No half measures

First of all Mad NY you are absolutely right, and you should be doing the PR work for SU.

Secondly, I graduated from SU in 1976. I was already pretty in love with basketball, but when my basketball love really jelled it was because of Louie and Bouie. As an alum, an alumni club president, and a lover of SU basketball, I am very upset by this. To me it is pretty inexcusable. The apology from Giansante seems pretty flippant to me.

The other part of this, is that I don't know if Louie or Bouie are in any type of position to do some sort of large donation to SU (does not have to be naming right stature), but when you have incidents like this, it is going to affect that type of fund raising with your high profile ex athletes. Imagine if we spelled the Mello center wrong?

It is just plain old embarrassing, and makes me ashamed of my school right now. How could this go unnoticed? Bad, bad, bad.

As bad as this is, it pales in comparison to Ernie Davis statue #1. An abomination of some sort of combination of hubris and lack of talent. Where the AD comes into it was (a) selection of said sculptor (despite pleas to the contrary) and (b) allegedly being cowed by the sculptor that no one could see it until it was unveiled. I wanted to cry and felt so bad for Dan out on the field.

Last edited:
The other part of this, is that I don't know if Louie or Bouie are in any type of position to do some sort of large donation to SU (does not have to be naming right stature), but when you have incidents like this, it is going to affect that type of fund raising with your high profile ex athletes. Imagine if we spelled the Mello center wrong?

That's one thing I have been thinking about also. Spelling a name incorrectly would be a VERY big deal in that situation if it ever lost a huge donation and it just can't happen.

As bad as this is, it pales in comparison to Ernie Davis statue #1. An abomination of some sort of combination of hubris and lack of talent. Where the AD comes into it was (a) selection of said sculptor (despite pleas to the contrary) and (b) allegedly being cowed by the sculptor that no one could see it until it was unveiled. I wanted to cry and felt so bad for Dan out on the field.

I only vaguely remember the issue with the statue. Weren't the issues having Nike on the cleats and something with the helmet?

Well then what about upgrading all our facilities? Does Doc get credit for that?
McNabb paid for the weight room. IPF caused major tension with Marrone and took forever to get done. Melo gave 3 million for the Melo Center and JB had to schmooze donors for the Melo Center. Gross has increased the coaching budgets for women's basketball, men's and women's lacrosse, men's and women's tennis, and softball. However Dr. Gross has incentives in his K for how the school finishes in the Director's Cup.
Overall the buck stops with the AD and this episode is flat out embarrassing and Giansante's spin is terrible.

I only vaguely remember the issue with the statue. Weren't the issues having Nike on the cleats and something with the helmet?
Yes Nike didn't exist when Ernie Davis played and they put swoosh on his cleats.

That too.

But my response was more just the lack of compassion. This was the culmination of a great chapter is Rosie's life. And to pass off the mistake as some "wacky commercial like moment" shows the total lack of "getting it"

Immature is the word you're looking for.

It wasn't near as embarrassing but was a bit awkward that Gross also gave Rosie's jersey to Louie. Also, if you have the video and watch it, there is a short female family member or friend of Rosie's to his right and as Rosie turns around showing off the jersey, she notices the mistake and turns to someone and basically says What, they misspelled the name.

Well, in fairness he read the name on the back and knew the jersey wasn't Rosie's, so he figured it must belong to the only other guy there.

MSOrange said:

That was the second statute. The first one was horrendous - I was sitting in the third deck and don't have great eyesight; my first reaction was what the heck it's that.

That was try #2.

This is disgraceful on so many levels. I am not calling out new Orange fans , but JB spoke at my grammer school basketball banquet as an assistant in 75, getting grilled on why he took Marty Headd over John Kobar. Rosie Bouie also made himself available in the years thereafter and was close to our Southside grammer school as well, showing up with his belt buckle that was filled w pennies(had to see it) .

Bigger point, Rosie and company were our heroes , pre ESPN and internet, and accessable. He worked summers in St Agnes Cemetary digging grave sites and maintanince. He was a fabric of the community. Louie and Bouie beating Purdue and Joe Barry Carroll was huge, in honesty, better then any win other than the NC in 03. Wtih a more mature JB we beat Iowa and Ronnie Lester, ouch. If you did not experience these times you have no idea what RB meant to this team and community. Truth be told, he/they should have had their numbers retired earlier. ,

At the end of the day, JB was a local yokal, barely reconigized in the community, him getting RB changed everything! JB would never say it, but RB's abilty overcame a lot ot JB's warts as a new coach. To his credit, JB has evolved into a national treasure, but many fans can tell you " no Roosevelt no JB" .
Todays developments are beyond lame, dictated by men and women who have no idea of the people who came before them.

Unfortunately I can only "Like" this once, but I remember that Purdue game like it was yesterday. Hype beyond belief and during the game I bit my fingernails till they bled (no lie)..

Louie & Bouie were indeed the "Birth" of Syracuse Basketball... Very well said..

I think he's talking about the old Snickers commercial, and the dude spelling the "Chiefs" the "Chefs".

This makes sense but makes it worse in my eyes. Those commercials were about screwing up and "getting away" (running away from the consequences).
That said, the saddest thing is that the misspelling absolutely had to have been seen by a chain of people before it was presented and not a single one noticed. SMH

Does anyone else remember when DG hired Joe Giansante? He kept saying his goal was to hire "an Ari Fleischer" as the spokesman for the Athletic Department. And when Giansante was hired, he introduced him as "my Ari Fleischer." I always thought that was kind of weird... in that Fleischer had already been gone from the White House for about 10 years at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom