Gross | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Gross

You create a "culture" of passionate fans by winning. Not from marketing.

I'd like people to provide one example where a mediocre college or pro team generated large, sustained increases in attendance without meaningfully improving their on field or on court performance.
May
One other thing about the Cubs that I just found... their attendance has declined each of the past 5 years, and last year was their worst since 1998:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/cubsatte.shtml

So their craptastic on-field play seems to be having some effect!
Come on - let's play two!

Yeah all those NYC fans have sure turned out for the Metlife games...
roughly 30k of us have.

or do you think that all 30k make the drive from Syracuse??

if we could get 20k cnyers driving down then Giants Stadium will be close to a sell out.

absolutely.

the university couldve taken the Dome land back and built a conte forum like place at skytop. put 25k in for hoop, with a big seating section on the outside for 20k football season ticket holders with a set of bleachers accross the field for another 10k and just like that we're out and the hoop onlies win.

just think!!!...then we could add a football game to that precious rivarly with georgtown.

SOLD!

Multi-Sport_Field.jpg

Honestly that is the 1st time I've ever seen that. Took my son to that game and never saw one at the gate or in the stands

They gave them away at the Spring game, along with a Donnie McPherson poster.

Honestly that is the 1st time I've ever seen that. Took my son to that game and never saw one at the gate or in the stands

They were handed out to everyone on their way out after the game was over.

You didn't leave early, by any chance? ;)

roughly 30k of us have.

if we could get 20k cnyers driving down then Giants Stadium will be close to a sell out.

I'm with the locals on this one. The MetLife games are a waste. Served a purpose when we were in the Big East, now I want us to kill them as quickly as possible.

I'll throw in my 2 cents as far as attendance goes. For the average "fairweather" fan who goes to a few games a year and says things like "It's just as good to watch the game from home in front of my 50+" TV." There needs to be a value add to going to the games and being in the crowd. I think the value add is big plays, whether it be lots of offense or turnovers or special teams play, punt block etc. They can not replicate the feeling in the Dome when there is a big roar like that. I went to SU during the Grob era, and it was unbearable to watch us go 3-out on 75% of our possessions and gaining 250 total yards. UNBEARABLE. I knew we would probably be losing the games, but if it were 42-45 instead of 10-13 or 7-28 it would have been a lot more enjoyable as a fan. IMO

The 2nd part it restructuring the ticket prices, the Dome should be full between the 20's regardless of how many people are there, it looks horrible on TV and in the stands when the endzones are more full than the sidelines. I know we can't piss off season ticket holders who have been paying good money for good seats for years, but someone smarter than I needs to figure it out.

They were handed out to everyone on their way out after the game was over.

You didn't leave early, by any chance? ;)

I did in fact. Problems with taking a 5-year old to watch Wake. Guess that's why they had extras to hand out at the Spring game.

NY's college team was/is a great marketing campaign. While impossible to win the attention in NYC, it didn't hurt. Syracuse is a known quantity due to alums and basketball (thanks BE!). There is way too much cash flowing in that city to not try to wedge yourself in there somehow. It didn't hurt our chances at an ACC invite.

The Met Life games are great for alumni and area fans and not so great for the locals. With LSU coming to the dome, not sure why we're debating this now.

Haters gonna hate, but I think Gross has done a good job. Met Life and NY's college teams are not on the same list as Greggers. Sorry.

New Chancellor can but heads if he wants - but Gross added 20+ million in revenue with our move to the ACC. Would be shortsighted of him to force him out.

roughly 30k of us have.

Id say at best the attendance for the Metlife games is split 50/50 between locals and NYC alumni/fans maybe 60/40 NYC.

New Chancellor can but heads if he wants - but Gross added 20+ million in revenue with our move to the ACC. Would be shortsighted of him to force him out.

What if under Gross' leadership, the expenses surpass the revenue, would that still be shortsighted?

KaiserUEO said:
roughly 30k of us have. or do you think that all 30k make the drive from Syracuse?? if we could get 20k cnyers driving down then Giants Stadium will be close to a sell out.

First, we didn't have 30,000. Second, not close to all were NYC fans. Third, I bet it was less than half because one of the sales issues were slow/low sales to NYC fans.

I'd bet <10.000 were NYC fans.

Id say at best the attendance for the Metlife games is split 50/50 between locals and NYC alumni/fans maybe 60/40 NYC.
id say its more 80/20 and im including albany & I-87 in with the 20%.

a lot of albany folks make that the 1 game they choose to attend.

which is fuel for the cnyers in their anti-Giants Stadium agenda to be sure...

Full_Rebar said:
What if under Gross' leadership, the expenses surpass the revenue, would that still be shortsighted?

ACC money is just now coming in. New deal with IMG or whomever will be for more than it was.

If he cuts now - bet he can make up whatever difference rather quickly. Maybe that's why dropping IMG is happening now?

ACC money is just now coming in. New deal with IMG or whomever will be for more than it was.

If he cuts now - bet he can make up whatever difference rather quickly. Maybe that's why dropping IMG is happening now?

So now that you have more money coming in, you'd keep the guy who spent money he didn't have in the first place? From what I hear coming from SU, not likely to happen with Syverud.

So now that you have more money coming in, you'd keep the guy who spent money he didn't have in the first place? From what I hear coming from SU, not likely to happen with Syverud.
Sure, if the spending levels have stabilized and are within new revenues.

[quogrosses expenditureste="Full_Rebar, post: 1080933, member: 3530"]What if under Gross' leadership, the expenses surpass the revenue, would that still be shortsighted?[/quote IMO Gross' spending was designed 2 enhance the image and visibility of Syracuse University sports, and to create an infrastructure that made Syracuse appealable for the next round of conference expansion. Mission accomplished.when girl first got here Syracuse athletics had about 10 million dollars in the bank and no artificial turf practice fields or new turf in the dome. he spent the reserves and upgrades which has been nothing but positive. In my opinion the new Chancellor would be wrong to let him go

I would love to understand the marketing and experience all the doubters have about SU advertising in NYC. I've been a graphic designer and done my share of marketing and a brand isn't created overnight. Moves like this generally take 5-10 years to get a return on investment. Who's to say that there aren't thousand of 10-15 year ok kids in the NyC area who are Cuse basketball fans due to the advertising campaign over the past few years. And who's to say that enrollment and athletic prospects from NYC metro students won't rise in the next 5-10 years.

[quogrosses expenditureste="Full_Rebar, post: 1080933, member: 3530"]What if under Gross' leadership, the expenses surpass the revenue, would that still be shortsighted?[/quote IMO Gross' spending was designed 2 enhance the image and visibility of Syracuse University sports, and to create an infrastructure that made Syracuse appealable for the next round of conference expansion. Mission accomplished.when girl first got here Syracuse athletics had about 10 million dollars in the bank and no artificial turf practice fields or new turf in the dome. he spent the reserves and upgrades which has been nothing but positive. In my opinion the new Chancellor would be wrong to let him go
I don't know all the facts but I'll go along with this.

Capt. Tuttle said:

Thanks - you said it better than I could.

That was a Buzz deal, not a Jake deal. It wasn't Jake's fault that SU bowl revenue was sent into the general fund.

Jake had plenty of dreams, too. What he didn't have was money in his budget.

And Buzz wouldn't open up the checkbook.
You are correct, my apologies.

One simple solution is to transfer a big portion of the salaries of the women's lax and bball programs back to football and men's basketball. We need to be able to pay our football coaches more and we are getting Boeheim for a steal when compared to the other blue blood programs.

After all, football landed us a lucrative TV deal and basketball makes this school a bunch of money. I get Title IX, but no need to pay Gait and Quentin so freaking much.

this is what i'm waiting for. If he is already trying to cut costs, wouldn't that be the first place to look? Anyone have any idea the length of their currents contracts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom