Gross | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Gross

My rebuttal would be ticket prices. Syracuse ticket prices are dirt cheap for a div 1 college team. NFL ticket prices are absurd. Your paying 70 dollars a ticket before they go on the secondary market and I don't know for certain but I would assume a lot of those empty seats came during the winter (cold) months when attendance decreases. Although they were technically in the hunt for playoffs, they needed a lot of help. So a team that for most of the year was out of contention, cold climate, and absurd prices I could see 87% capacity. Syracuse plays in a dome, tickets for 20 dollars, heck I got into a game last year for 10 dollars. The guy tried to give me 2 tickets for free cause no one wanted them but I demanded to pay him 10 a ticket. I understand your argument, people would rather sit in front of a 50 inch plasma on their couch and watch the game. And that is where the issue lies. The University somehow has to get the surrounding community involved in the game and make the game day experience an event. Make the fans want to come. Those population statistics says there are over 3,141,438 people within an hour drive of Syracuse (including Albany because they have no real sports affiliation even though 2 hours). With increased marketing, it should be easy to fill a 50,000 seat stadium. That is 1.6% of that population, I think that would be doable, but as many people have said before, even during the week of the Clemson game there was no marketing whatsoever. People that didn't follow like we do didn't even know Clemson was coming to town. Thats what I think needs to be changed, I love the NYC campaign but why can't we also have that campaign in and around the Syracuse market. Get casual fans to come to the games and become diehards like us.
I understand what you're saying. I myself have season tix and I live some 6 hours away in Virginia. I don't make it for all the games, but I make damn sure that someone is using my tickets everytime I'm not. That said, I don't think that a significant increase in marketing dollars in the region would have a significant impact on attendance. I agree that they need to allocate some spending and marketing dollars, but I still just don't believe that it will increase attendance more than a few thousand. I agree with JeremyCuse that those dollars should be spent on figuring out a better way to deliver the gameday experience. The tough part is that alot of what kills that experience can only be solved from this point forward with moving the stadium. That's obviously not feasible, so the marketing guys need to get REALLY creative. SU needs to really be looking to lay the foundation for when this football team goes 10-2 or to an ACC championship game. Those are realistically the only times I can see the "on the fence" locals to commit to coming out more often. They need to be ready to strike when the iron gets hot.

Gross's response to the new chancellor and his tighter wallet was to axe the IMG deal - which should be a windfall for the university and the athletic department.

I'm no insider - but that doesn't seem like the move if a guy on his way out.
Just a hunch, but they axed the deal because it was old and no longer met what they believe the market would demand. The deal was inked when SU was in the Big East and moving to the ACC likely meant that the deal was severely under market. They will ink a new marketing deal with someone in the next few months.

Last edited:
That's an exaggeration IMO. We sign a contract to play games in NJ for 20 years so we could join the ACC last year? And it was 100% the reason?
The USC game never would have happened if it wasn't in NJ. The rest I agree with... play SU in the Dome or pound salt. I still think it was a cool fan experience to be at the Penn St game though.

One simple solution is to transfer a big portion of the salaries of the women's lax and bball programs back to football and men's basketball. We need to be able to pay our football coaches more and we are getting Boeheim for a steal when compared to the other blue blood programs.

After all, football landed us a lucrative TV deal and basketball makes this school a bunch of money. I get Title IX, but no need to pay Gait and Quentin so freaking much.
SU isn't a blue blood. I agree 100% with the rest of what you say though.

Yeah all those NYC fans have sure turned out for the Metlife games...
The cost of my ticket for the last game is around the cost of season tickets. Thus, you wouldn't expect many people to pay that much for one game.

AAM62 said:
The cost of my ticket for the last game is around the cost of season tickets. Thus, you wouldn't expect many people to pay that much for one game.

But the NYC fan base is rich.

And intelligent.

And devastatingly good looking.

I would argue that this is a very tangible benefit.

Syracuse_ACC.jpg
Gross saved Syracuse football after almost tanking it with grob. I think he has done a fantastic job

Could it be that Syverud simply trims the AD fat and keeps The Good Doctor? Seriously. DG brought in increased revenues pre-ACC, while stuck in the way underpaid Big East. The new ACC revenues increase the revenue by some $15MM (estimated, ACC - Big East) and now a renegotiated media rights deal could net in excess of another $5MM - $10MM.

As far as brand goes, Syracuse' national brand has not suffered as greatly as the local brand. People wondered what happened under GRob but most understoood that would turn around based on historical performance. Hoops speaks for itself and lacrosse (where it is known) is written in stone!

In another thread, Brent Axe points out that the IMG cancellation has been in the works. Probably had to wait for the academic year to be concluded before taking action (my own take). Anyway, Suracuse should be running in the black with the influx of ACC cash (recall the last two seasons Syracuse did NOT get BE payouts and the revenues still increased) and the media deal. Syracuse should be approaching the $100MM/year revenue club.

Agreed.

People are so...weird. Why would the BOT hire a guy to run the university who is going to purposefully and expressly harm SU athletics?

If the SU BOT really had a desire to de-emphasize our athletics we could have done that pretty damn easily. Simply (and quietly) decline the ACC membership offer, and stay in the Big East. I bet the league wouldn't have split had it been Uconn leaving and not SU, which means we'd have maintained our old hoops rivalries and played football at a less financially competitive D-1 level.

Because they wouldn't.

The USC game never would have happened if it wasn't in NJ. The rest I agree with... play SU in the Dome or pound salt. I still think it was a cool fan experience to be at the Penn St game though.
USC was ready willing and able to play us in the Dome. Gross sold the game to MetLife for good money this is a fav. ND wouldn't play us at the Dome.

Could it be that Syverud simply trims the AD fat and keeps The Good Doctor? Seriously. DG brought in increased revenues pre-ACC, while stuck in the way underpaid Big East. The new ACC revenues increase the revenue by some $15MM (estimated, ACC - Big East) and now a renegotiated media rights deal could net in excess of another $5MM - $10MM.

As far as brand goes, Syracuse' national brand has not suffered as greatly as the local brand. People wondered what happened under GRob but most understoood that would turn around based on historical performance. Hoops speaks for itself and lacrosse (where it is known) is written in stone!

In another thread, Brent Axe points out that the IMG cancellation has been in the works. Probably had to wait for the academic year to be concluded before taking action (my own take). Anyway, Suracuse should be running in the black with the influx of ACC cash (recall the last two seasons Syracuse did NOT get BE payouts and the revenues still increased) and the media deal. Syracuse should be approaching the $100MM/year revenue club.

It's certainly a possibility. Problem is that the new Chancellor is bent on cutting costs and making people be held accountable for their spending. I think that's the bent that won't sit well with the good doctor as he had complete control over spending ergo our issues with overpriced Olympic sports programs at the expense of football salaries - the sport that ultimately got us into the ACC. Plus I just don't get what else is left for him to do here to keep him here long term anyway.

And Gross did not break the IMG contract - he would be foolish to do that especially since he recently renewed it and if he ever went to a different University where IMG is already established - you just don't burn bridges like that especially with a company like IMG (one of the largest, if not the largest). Syverud cut the contract and has taken over the negotiations going forward (actually I think it's one of his deputies who led the charge due to his in with another but much smaller sports marketing company). Syverud's future success has nothing to do with a sports marketing company whereas Gross has to step carefully here.

Last edited:
[quota="Full_Rebar, post: 1080684, member: 3530"]You and many of the people on this board aren't the casual fan. I'm talking about the person who chooses to spend their "entertainment" money in other ways. As a former employee, I heard this numerous times from friends/family/colleagues. I can't tell you how many times I had to call multiple people to give away tickets because people would rather just watch on tv.

I don't mean to say SU owes the fans anything, but if SU wants the casual fans to come back to the Dome they need to do more than they have been doing.[/quote]

win

a

USC was ready willing and able to play us in the Dome. Gross sold the game to MetLife for good money this is a fav. ND wouldn't play us at the Dome.
will be forced to in next set of games in lates teens or early 20's

chakka3421 said:
It's certainly a possibility. Problem is that the new Chancellor is bent on cutting costs and making people be held accountable for their spending. I think that's the bent that won't sit well with the good doctor as he had complete control over spending ergo our issues with overpriced Olympic sports programs at the expense of football salaries - the sport that ultimately got us into the ACC. Plus I just don't get what else is left for him to do here to keep him here long term anyway. And Gross did not break the IMG contract - he would be foolish to do that especially since he recently renewed it and if he ever went to a different University where IMG is already established - you just don't burn bridges like that especially with a company like IMG (one of the largest, if not the largest). Syverud cut the contract and has taken over the negotiations going forward (actually I think it's one of his deputies who led the charge due to his in with another but much smaller sports marketing company). Syverud's future success has nothing to do with a sports marketing company whereas Gross has to step carefully here.

No reason not to trust you on this - but if that's true - things are bad. Syverud may or may not be the guy for the job, but either way I'd leave immediately if my boss elbowed me out. That's the last resort kind of move and better have been warranted.

I would love to understand the marketing and experience all the doubters have about SU advertising in NYC. I've been a graphic designer and done my share of marketing and a brand isn't created overnight. Moves like this generally take 5-10 years to get a return on investment. Who's to say that there aren't thousand of 10-15 year ok kids in the NyC area who are Cuse basketball fans due to the advertising campaign over the past few years. And who's to say that enrollment and athletic prospects from NYC metro students won't rise in the next 5-10 years.

Agreed. Marketing people aren't necessarily better at understanding marketing. Marketing people need immediate results, because that's how they keep their jobs. SU needs to market long-term. There is a bit of brainwashing and smoke screening needed. Just look at what Rutgers accomplished with that plan. It works!

Anyway, I think Gross leaves...when JB retires. It makes too much sense that JB will become the AD, eventually.

Alsacs said:
not true, but I'm researching from my phone. There were lots of posts from people in the know 3-4 years ago about this.

Agreed. Marketing people aren't necessarily better at understanding marketing. Marketing people need immediate results, because that's how they keep their jobs. SU needs to market long-term. There is a bit of brainwashing and smoke screening needed. Just look at what Rutgers accomplished with that plan. It works!

Anyway, I think Gross leaves...when JB retires. It makes too much sense that JB will become the AD, eventually.
What? Oh come on

Are you serious with this? If so, I respectfully disagree. What makes you think JB is qualified to be an AD in this era of college sports?

Are you serious with this? If so, I respectfully disagree. What makes you think JB is qualified to be an AD in this era of college sports?
Or would want to be? BTW - do any of his kids play sports?

It's certainly a possibility. Problem is that the new Chancellor is bent on cutting costs and making people be held accountable for their spending. I think that's the bent that won't sit well with the good doctor as he had complete control over spending ergo our issues with overpriced Olympic sports programs at the expense of football salaries - the sport that ultimately got us into the ACC. Plus I just don't get what else is left for him to do here to keep him here long term anyway.

And Gross did not break the IMG contract - he would be foolish to do that especially since he recently renewed it and if he ever went to a different University where IMG is already established - you just don't burn bridges like that especially with a company like IMG (one of the largest, if not the largest). Syverud cut the contract and has taken over the negotiations going forward (actually I think it's one of his deputies who led the charge due to his in with another but much smaller sports marketing company). Syverud's future success has nothing to do with a sports marketing company whereas Gross has to step carefully here.

I wouldn't be shocked if Gross ended up working at IMG when he leaves SU. It seems right up his alley.

Why do people think that former players all want to coach, and former coaches all want to be AD's?

JB will be 70+ years old when he retires. Probably the LAST thing he wants to do is put up the day-to-day BS of running an athletic department. :bang:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom