Guess we are out of the A. Jefferson sweapstakes | Syracusefan.com

Guess we are out of the A. Jefferson sweapstakes

Gormanite4L

Walk On
According to At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. Jefferson's final list is down to Nova, OSU, NC State, Kentucky and Duke, I've been trying to stay on top of our recruiting are we going to land any one else to add to our class for next year or are we done?

I believe we are done for this year and focusing on the 2013 class

We could use a quality PG. Next year, certainly Scoop is gone, and likely Dion. That leaves BT, MCW, and Cooney as future guards, and none of those strikes me as an NC-worthy PG. Not sure there are any PG recruits left, though.

We could use a quality PG. Next year, certainly Scoop is gone, and likely Dion. That leaves BT, MCW, and Cooney as future guards, and none of those strikes me as an NC-worthy PG. Not sure there are any PG recruits left, though.

Curious why you don't think MCW could be that guy. Hes a freshmen hasn't even found his second gear yet.

With the improved offense of CJ, Southerland, MCW, and a improved offensive game from Rak, Coleman and maybe Melo(if hes still around) we could even put Brandon at the point. Curious to see how Grant will bring it as a freshmen. He could show us that CJ like freshmen year skills.

Agree though we lose the dribbling skill of KJO, Scoop and probbaly Dion this year and that is going to be a HUGE not BIG LOSS. Time for Brandon and MCW to take their place as penetrators next year. Alot of times it takes 2-3 years for guards to really develop a killer penetration. I think for 013 we could use a dribbling guard fresh, transfer, somebody with experience. MCW could end up being two and done and that will leave us with some freshmen guards and Cooney.

I also feel MCW passing skills are out of this world. He will easily be one of our top 8 passers ever and has the potential to be top 1-3.

I think MCW in 2013 > Dion in 2012.

MCW will have the best pro career of any SU player on the current roster. Triche and MCW can both play 30+ minutes per night and Cooney should be a nice shooting option off the bench. Next year's team will place more emphasis on going inside for scoring. Fab, Christmas, Coleman, Keita, Southerland and Fair will generate a lot of points.

Next year could feature one of the best, if not the best 3 point shooting team we have ever had. Couple that with some serious talent downlow and were lookin good ;-)

If Dion is leaving (seems likely), a guard in this class would be insurance against injury. But who is out there, emerging in his senior year, quick with the dribble, good defender, hasn't committed yet?

Watching Cooney in warm-ups -- best jump shooter on the team (seriously, he was something like 9 for 10, from a variety of spots), surprisingly good athlete (dunks easily). Don't know if he can put it on the floor, or get his own shot, but he is impressive as a shooter. Reminded me of Jimmy Lee.

MCW will be real good next year. It won't happen, but he could take some of BT's minutes at this point -- wouldn't hurt the team at all.

Realistically, though, these 2 plus BT will be a mid-level set of guards in the Big East, and we would have to rely on getting more from the frontcourt.

If Dion is leaving (seems likely), a guard in this class would be insurance against injury. But who is out there, emerging in his senior year, quick with the dribble, good defender, hasn't committed yet?

Watching Cooney in warm-ups -- best jump shooter on the team (seriously, he was something like 9 for 10, from a variety of spots), surprisingly good athlete (dunks easily). Don't know if he can put it on the floor, or get his own shot, but he is impressive as a shooter. Reminded me of Jimmy Lee.

MCW will be real good next year. It won't happen, but he could take some of BT's minutes at this point -- wouldn't hurt the team at all.

Realistically, though, these 2 plus BT will be a mid-level set of guards in the Big East, and we would have to rely on getting more from the frontcourt.
Really?, I think those 3 have alot of potential. Cooney could be the best shooter we've ever had here. MCW was a McDonalds AA who people view as an NBA talent and BT will be a senior. I think thats better than mid-level in the BE. For example UCONN will probably lose Lamb so that will drop their guard play down alot as well.

I think we are done for 2012. But that's not saying that JB and staff wouldn't jump all over a 5 star committ if they came knocking. We haven't been in the Amille Jefferson lottery for some time. Yes we need another guard with Dion leaving. Brantley is possible but not for a while. Forget Whitehead and Freeman. Newton a possibility for 2014 and Briscoe in 2015.

Really?, I think those 3 have alot of potential. Cooney could be the best shooter we've ever had here. MCW was a McDonalds AA who people view as an NBA talent and BT will be a senior. I think thats better than mid-level in the BE. For example UCONN will probably lose Lamb so that will drop their guard play down alot as well.
Yes -- really. The top six teams in the Big East will have guards as good as what we have back. Providence, for example, will have Council & Coleman back, plus Ledo and Kris Dunn coming in. Take a walk around -- UConn, St John's, even Rutgers; Pitt, Louisville. Cooney is our best "recruit" as a redshirt -- several Big East teams can match that, and have more depth.
Not being negative on our guys, but the loss of Dion & Scoop will be bigger than some admit.

Looking at our 3 returning guards -- not a great deal of speed or quickness. Would be vulnerable to a press or Marquette's half court pressure.
MCW was a highly ranked recruit and will get better -- Cooney & Triche were somewhere like 75 to 100 in their years. It is a good trio -- it won't stack up as elite.

My concern for next year is having a PG with good handle ... We will certainly miss Scoop and Dion in that regard. I think MCW has the potential tho

I think MCW in 2013 > Dion in 2012.

MCW will have the best pro career of any SU player on the current roster. Triche and MCW can both play 30+ minutes per night and Cooney should be a nice shooting option off the bench. Next year's team will place more emphasis on going inside for scoring. Fab, Christmas, Coleman, Keita, Southerland and Fair will generate a lot of points.
I think MCW will be a really good college player, but I think you over value his NBA prospects. Waiters is twice the prospect that MCW is, and that's not a knock on him at all. Granted he's young, but MCW's athleticism isn't next level type and probably won't improve all that much. Doesn't mean he won't have a really good/great career here.

Yes -- really. The top six teams in the Big East will have guards as good as what we have back. Providence, for example, will have Council & Coleman back, plus Ledo and Kris Dunn coming in. Take a walk around -- UConn, St John's, even Rutgers; Pitt, Louisville. Cooney is our best "recruit" as a redshirt -- several Big East teams can match that, and have more depth.
Not being negative on our guys, but the loss of Dion & Scoop will be bigger than some admit.

Looking at our 3 returning guards -- not a great deal of speed or quickness. Would be vulnerable to a press or Marquette's half court pressure.
MCW was a highly ranked recruit and will get better -- Cooney & Triche were somewhere like 75 to 100 in their years. It is a good trio -- it won't stack up as elite.

What does BT's recruiting ranking have to do with what he will give us next year?? When you've observed a guy for three years (whatever your opinion of him may be), I find it interesting that you'd reference his ranking as a high school senior as evidence of what he will or won't give us next season as a college senior.

What does BT's recruiting ranking have to do with what he will give us next year?? When you've observed a guy for three years (whatever your opinion of him may be), I find it interesting that you'd reference his ranking as a high school senior as evidence of what he will or won't give us next season as a college senior.
Wasn't the only reason, was it?
Look, Triche was ranked about #95 in his class, and yet started day 1 for SU -- so he came in pretty good, and JB knew it.
My opinion is that Triche is good, has reached his plateau, contributes in many ways, and isn't among the quickest guards in the league. The essential point is that many teams in the league will have PGs and SGs as good as our guys -- whether you go by rankings or by watching the teams. In our trio of MCW, Cooney & Triche, the issue will be lack of quickness -- which is obvious if you watch teams in the league. We know that Triche isn't great with a dribble drive move, and haven't seen Cooney's handle or ability to get past a defender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom