Gun to my head predictions... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Gun to my head predictions...

I don't think anyone knows if he will be eligible. I'd still use a ship on him for one season even as a practice player since we have one and will be getting it back the following year when he enters the draft.
If he can prove he and his family didn't take any money out of that account I think he should be fine. It shouldn't be that hard to prove, although I have no idea how banks work over there lol.

I don't think anyone knows if he will be eligible. I'd still use a ship on him for one season even as a practice player since we have one and will be getting it back the following year when he enters the draft.

My problem is I don't want to see another situation like we had with Diagne last August. I'd rather have Thompson than be short one center. With 3 viable centers we can play much more aggressive defense.

P.S. What you are cooking on the grill in your avatar photo but it looks nice!

NBA Draft.net
NBA mock draft siteNBADraft.netsees Richardson as a first-round talent if he decides to declare for the Draft and Gbinije as a second-round pick.

The site has Richardson heading to the Charlotte Hornets with the 24th overall pick with Gbinije heading to the Boston Celtics at pick No.35.

Can we PLEASE stop using NBADraft.net as a "source"? Oh Lord
It's (almost literally) some dude posting from his mom's basement. ZERO credibility. :bang:

I could start a site called NBADraftDaddy.com, post whatever random selection of picks I think sound good, and have an equal chance of being correct as they are.

Apparently they watched the UVA Elite 8 game and fell in love with 2nd half Mali's performance.
IF they'd seen Trevor's game against ND a few years back when he won us the game with 9 3's, he would probably also now be a first-round talent. :rolleyes:

If he can prove he and his family didn't take any money out of that account I think he should be fine. It shouldn't be that hard to prove, although I have no idea how banks work over there lol.

Any sentence that begins with "If he can prove he and his family didn't take any money out of that account" has got to make you worry!

Can we PLEASE stop using NBADraft.net as a "source"? Oh Lord
It's (almost literally) some dude posting from his mom's basement. ZERO credibility.

Not only that, but even worse, he probably works for ESPN for his day job. Less than ZERO credibility.

I agree and my reasoning takes into account that there is a very good chance that he would be eligible which gives us an immediate post threat. I was just saying worst case senario if ineligible he's a practice player, ties up a ship for only a season and is a future NBA player that spent a year at Cuse. You would think that bank records would be easy to procure but even after that its just not a sure thing until the NCAA clearinghouse clears him.

My problem is I don't want to see another situation like we had with Diagne last August. I'd rather have Thompson than be short one center. With 3 viable centers we can play much more aggressive defense.

P.S. What you are cooking on the grill in your avatar photo but it looks nice!

We still have a ship for Thompson as well at this point.

Those are chicken wings on the Pit Barrel Cooker. Its like an upright smoker. That is after the first sauce application. Good stuff!

I agree and my reasoning takes into account that there is a very good chance that he would be eligible which gives us an immediate post threat. I was just saying worst case senario if ineligible he's a practice player, ties up a ship for only a season and is a future NBA player that spent a year at Cuse. You would think that bank records would be easy to procure but even after that its just not a sure thing until the NCAA clearinghouse clears him.
I think this issue would seem more clear cut than proving you aren't 30 .

Agree with your statement also. But if someone flashed a couple of million in front of me I can't say that I am sure what I would do either. They do not see the bigger picture or the triple of that amount he would make staying one more year.
Why don't they see the bigger picture?

Only a few see the bigger picture--most spend the money as fast as it comes to them and within three years are gone. It's very different when you're playing for money against grown men than when you're playing for fun in college with guys your own age.
Who cares? Really. It only matters to the kid and his family.

I wish the kid good luck and will root for him but this decision screams I want out of college more than it does I want lifetime changing money.
Based on the info from some of our trusted insiders here, it's worse than that. This decision screams "My haters don't think I should leave. I'll show them!"

Based on the info from some of our trusted insiders here, it's worse than that. This decision screams "My haters don't think I should leave. I'll show them!"

Those are my exact thoughts. There were at least a few times this past season where he started to get into it with an opposing player. It feels like it's been a while since we've had a player like that. It's great to have players with some swag and arrogance. I think this shows that he very much wears his emotions on his sleeve and that others can easily get him riled up. With that in mind, it isn't a stretch by any means to see him develop the attitude you described.

Buddy Hield isn't a good comparison. He was a four year player who is leaving after his senior year.

The bias you're describing generally doesn't happen after sophomore year--it happens to guys who stay longer than that.

My point is that his status could just as easily fall as it could rise by staying another year at SU. Let's face it, prior to a ten minute explosion against UVA nobody was touting MR as a first round draft pick.

LOL! Oh come on. I'm sure he's not thinking that. He's thinking $$ and the prestige that goes with saying you have played in the NBA. Malachi practically single handedly gave us a Final Four. He has made a HUGE contribution to the program as a freshmen. If he leaves I wish him all the best of luck. I just can't imagine anyone would be angry at his decision. I would love for him to stay but I have not seen anyone say anything bad about Malachi's decision to leave if he makes decides that way. Let's see how he does in the combine.

I think Battle coming in makes it a lot easier to take. I think Battle will be just as good if not better than Malachi was as a freshmen. He's faster and has a much quicker move to the rim. They both have the capability to break ankles. It's all good. After the 2015-16 season amazing things can always happen!

I live 10 miles from where Mali lives and know a few people that know him very well. These are knowledgeable hoops people. They think he would be making a big mistake if he attempts to leave early with no assurances of first round status. They also don't think he's anywhere near ready to play in the NBA.

My point is that his status could just as easily fall as it could rise by staying another year at SU. Let's face it, prior to a ten minute explosion against UVA nobody was touting MR as a first round draft pick.

Agreed, as a one-and-done. But it isn't uncommon for freshmen to ascend into more prominent roles, and then to justify a first round selection as sophomores prior to when the "agism" NBA bias questions arise.

Malichi Richardson would be [if he returned] the team's leading returning scorer, the teams leading returning minutes played guy, and arguably the team's best shooter. He would be stepping into a more prominent role for a team that lost both backcourt starters--who were both double digit scorers--and would be looking for someone to both step up into that leadership role and be the alpha dog on offense.

There is nothing about Mali's play last year that suggests that he would "easily fall" under those circumstances, barring injury. To the contrary, all of the conditions would be optimized for him to excel this upcoming year.

Agreed, as a one-and-done. But it isn't uncommon for freshmen to ascend into more prominent roles, and then to justify a first round selection.

Malichi Richardson would be [if he returned] the team's leading returning scorer, the teams leading returning minutes played guy, and arguably the team's best shooter. He would be stepping into a more prominent role for a team that lost both backcourt starters--who were both double digit scorers--and would be looking for someone to both step up into that leadership role and be the alpha dog on offense.

There is nothing about Mali's play last year that suggests that he would "easily fall" under those circumstances, barring injury. To the contrary, all of the conditions would be optimized for him to excel this upcoming year.

Yeah like I said at the outset I'm in the minority and not nearly as bullish as most here. We'll see. But to be clear my take would be if he knows he's going in the first round then run don't walk to the NBA. If not then come back to SU. Pretty cut and dry.

Yeah like I said at the outset I'm in the minority and not nearly as bullish as most here. We'll see. But to be clear my take would be if he knows he's going in the first round then run don't walk to the NBA. If not then come back to SU. Pretty cut and dry.

And with apologies, it isn't nearly that cut and dry as some would like to pretend. Because of the slated NBA rookie salaries, the opportunity cost of being a late first rounder or second rounder in a deep draft could be incredibly high, compared to the financial benefits of being a higher draft pick in 2017. As alsacs alluded to above, the financials are very black and white.

And with apologies, it isn't nearly that cut and dry as some would like to pretend. Because of the slated NBA rookie salaries, the opportunity cost of being a late first rounder or second rounder in a deep draft could be incredibly high, compared to the financial benefits of being a higher draft pick in 2017. As alsacs alluded to above, the financials are very black and white.

No apology needed. I understand the financial part very well. There is no guarantee that he would be going in the first round next year. He could get injured, have a bad year, whatever. That part is a long way from black and white.

I had the hernia surgery years ago, and knee replacement is scheduled for June 17, but Coach K still has more wins than I do.

Rather than pay someone $4000 to build the front steps to a house my father built, I helped him put the concrete steps in. Masonry work is by far the hardest kind of work I've done in my life. Anyway, I was carrying two 5 gallon buckets of cement up a gang plank to pour into the base. I popped a nut and the hernia operation cost $30,000 to my insurance company at the time. It would probably cost over $120,000 today with the current healthcare pentagon pricing. I was thinking at the time it would have been a lot cheaper to have someone who knew what they were doing do the work.

Agree with your statement also. But if someone flashed a couple of million in front of me I can't say that I am sure what I would do either. They do not see the bigger picture or the triple of that amount he would make staying one more year.

This is why -- speaking generally, not about Malachi -- some think that a lot of kids make poor decisions. If a 19-year-old can't "see the bigger picture," process a bunch of data, think critically about it, and make a good decision based on those facts, it's probably not a good idea for him to rush to become a professional anything. That's not an indictment of the kid or his character; it's part and parcel of being a kid - they don't always make good decisions. That's the reason they go to college in the first place, to learn and develop these processes.

I'm consistently baffled by the unwillingness of the majority of this board (on the whole, a bunch of successful and knowledgeable adults) to presume to be wiser than impulsive college kids.

Last edited:
This is why -- speaking generally, not about Malachi -- some think that a lot of kids make poor decisions. If a 19-year-old can't "see the bigger picture," process a bunch of data, think critically about it, and make a good decision based on those facts, it's probably not a good idea for him to rush to become a professional anything. That's not an indictment of the kid or his character; it's part and parcel of being a kid - they don't always make good decisions. That's the reason they go to college in the first place, to learn and develop these processes.

I'm consistently baffled by the unwillingness of the majority of this board (presumably a bunch of fairly successful and knowledgeable adults) to presume to be wiser than impulsive college kids.

What do you think of Lydon's decision?

No apology needed. I understand the financial part very well. There is no guarantee that he would be going in the first round next year. He could get injured, have a bad year, whatever. That part is a long way from black and white.

yeah--wasn't talking about you specifically.