Gutierrez no longer covering the Orange | Syracusefan.com

Gutierrez no longer covering the Orange

Is anyone replacing him or just job cuts from the Athletic?

I hope this works out for Matt.

Football wasn't his thing covering Syracuse for The Athletic. Hope he does well covering the NFL.

I wonder if Stephen Bailey moves over to The Athletic now?

I see The Athletic as more of a beat writer job, something Stephen is used to and well suited for. The 247 gig seems more of a spot for someone to who specializes in covering recruiting. Not Stephen's strongest point. I would also guess The Athletic pays more (but that is just a guess).

I see Matthew Fairburn is a traitor.
Patriots Twitter already hates the guy.
They see another Ben Volin brewing. As he is a Chiefs fan from Missouri I have read.

Oh great we got another Volin. This sucks. Can’t get coverage like the Red Sox beat where all they do is kiss up to management. Volin is literally the worst. I just hope this guy doesn’t go full troll.

I’m assuming we end up with no dedicated reporter there. Athletic struggling and was rumored to be in merger talks with a few companies and SPACs. They’re probably trimming costs and a dedicated reporter for certain schools doesn’t make economic sense. Too bad - it was a nice feature to have more Syracuse coverage in the athletic, which has a good mix of coverage. I know folks didn’t like him but this is a loss for coverage if he isn’t replaced.

They see another Ben Volin brewing. As he is a Chiefs fan from Missouri I have read.

Oh great we got another Volin. This sucks. Can’t get coverage like the Red Sox beat where all they do is kiss up to management. Volin is literally the worst. I just hope this guy doesn’t go full troll.
FYI telling the truth isn’t trolling.

I’m assuming we end up with no dedicated reporter there. Athletic struggling and was rumored to be in merger talks with a few companies and SPACs. They’re probably trimming costs and a dedicated reporter for certain schools doesn’t make economic sense. Too bad - it was a nice feature to have more Syracuse coverage in the athletic, which has a good mix of coverage. I know folks didn’t like him but this is a loss for coverage if he isn’t replaced.
Was going to say this...they cut most of their mma writers, sounds like their model isn’t working

this is a bad thing. I don’t think he gets replaced as well

I hope they don't go away.

Was going to say this...they cut most of their mma writers, sounds like their model isn’t working

this is a bad thing. I don’t think he gets replaced as well
It was great while it lasted but they were subsidizing the cost through VC money. It was always going to be a slog without raising subscription costs.

The more entities covering Syracuse sports, the better.

I really like the coverage in The Athletic. I think hope it survives and that they are able to hire a replacement to cover Syracuse specifically.
Ditto. It's fair to gripe about Matt's work (I personally enjoyed it), but at least he was producing Cuse-dedicated content.

Wow! His time here was pretty short.

What-You-Did-There-I-See-It-Funny-Bird-Meme.png

I’m not sure why anyone would dislike the job MG did covering Cuse hoops for the athletic. His stories were in-depth, he used sources from within the program that gave scoops from inside the Melo Center, and he wasn’t afraid to call out JB on playing time issues. Do people not care for him because JB chastised him? I for one will greatly miss his coverage...soooo much better than the run of the mill articles from the post standard. I really hope the athletic assigns another beat writer to cover the team.

the sad thing is that you actually believe this. The pats press is the worst. That the coach is allowed to say things like we are on to Cinn. is so unprofessional. That there is still no answer to why Butler didn't start or really play in a Super Bowl is just crazy. The Pats press kiss Bill's ass. And if someone dare ask a tough question, they are biased. The Pats are never forced to answer any question. Tough or not.

I’m not sure why anyone would dislike the job MG did covering Cuse hoops for the athletic. His stories were in-depth, he used sources from within the program that gave scoops from inside the Melo Center, and he wasn’t afraid to call out JB on playing time issues. Do people not care for him because JB chastised him? I for one will greatly miss his coverage...soooo much better than the run of the mill articles from the post standard. I really hope the athletic assigns another beat writer to cover the team.
This ^^^^^^^^

I have nothing against Donna or Waters but they write nothing but fluff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom