Happy 5 Year Anniversary, SyracuseFan | Syracusefan.com

Happy 5 Year Anniversary, SyracuseFan

And it goes back much further than that. I joined in 1994, during the AOL days. But I think it had started on Prodigy. Is that correct?
AOL, Prodigy, Compuserve - not sure which was the first, but one of those. I'm thinking of all those, only rrlbees and I have the same handles. I'm sure I'm missing someone...

AOL, Prodigy, Compuserve - not sure which was the first, but one of those. I'm thinking of all those, only rrlbees and I have the same handles. I'm sure I'm missing someone...

It was prodigy but Tomcat had a football "blog" even before that (don't even know if the word blog existed back then)

It was prodigy but Tomcat had a football "blog" even before that (don't even know if the word blog existed back then)

yea, I think it went toms blog, prodigy, aol (the grandstand), a free site that I think millhouse found, Syracuse.com, rivals, scout, here?

rrlbees said:
yea, I think it went toms blog, prodigy, aol (the grandstand), a free site that I think millhouse found, Syracuse.com, rivals, scout, here?
i started seeing a few sites popping up that covered college athletics when the WWW really started exploding with the release of the MosaIc browser in 1993. There wasn't one for SU so I created one. I believe It was one of the first 5 sites devoted to college sports. I think I created it in late 1993. It was just posts I made regarding SU sports. Indeed, it was a blog before the name blog existed. Primary focus was on football and basketball recruiting. It had no message board functionalIty. Don't think you could even make comments.

Message boards started popping up pretty soon afterwards.

I largely missed out on the prodigy and AOL boards

As far as boards I was actively involved with, I was on Syracuse.com through 1998 to early 2000. It was a cesspool then, as now. No real administration; a few idiots were allowed to ruin the board for everyone.

Tom Emery and Fishy created a board for SU basketball shortly after SU played UConn in early 2000 in basketball, after a number of SU fans wouldn't leave the Boneyard after the game was played. That was an independent board. Rivals started courting established college sports message boards and eventually the syracusefan and Boneyard boards joined that network. Mike Farrell and a host of other Issues eventually drove the boards back to independence. Then we had a stint at Scout before returning to independence. Scout was even worse than Rivals...

That is my memory of how things went down anyway...

So every organization has a ceo. After all the years on here, i really dont know who drives the ship, and i guess i am curious. Who is it?

I didn't know it went back that far, I do remember reading the board when it was on skout. I used to post on those old espn message boards, but there really weren't many syracuse fans, I think senorpalmer was there.

So every organization has a ceo. After all the years on here, i really dont know who drives the ship, and i guess i am curious. Who is it?
This guy
th

Here is the real story. Early in the 1999-2000 season, Syracuse.com was a real sewer, and SU fans were looking for a better place. Several of us migrated to the Boneyard -- where we soon overwhelmed the place. Fishy and Temery, the two creators of the Boneyard, contacted me and asked whether I wanted to help them establish a new independent Syracuse board.

They promised to do all the heavy (technology) lifting ... and my job would be to get folks to move here from Syracuse.com. So we started virtual guerrilla warfare with syracuse.com, and, little by little, people like tomcat, bees, jake, mason, cherie, milhouse, UEO, etc moved over here.

As Tomcat says above, we moved to Rivals, then Scout, but eventually decided we were better as an independent entity.

Here is the real story. Early in the 1999-2000 season, Syracuse.com was a real sewer, and SU fans were looking for a better place. Several of us migrated to the Boneyard -- where we soon overwhelmed the place. Fishy and Temery, the two creators of the Boneyard, contacted me and asked whether I wanted to help them establish a new independent Syracuse board.

They promised to do all the heavy (technology) lifting ... and my job would be to get folks to move here from Syracuse.com. So we started virtual guerrilla warfare with syracuse.com, and, little by little, people like tomcat, bees, jake, mason, cherie, milhouse, UEO, etc moved over here.

As Tomcat says above, we moved to Rivals, then Scout, but eventually decided we were better as an independent entity.
the mixing and mashing of the boneyard and us back then, really helped my hatred of storz evolve into the hate-fire of a thousand suns it stands at today.

but they are still lower on the totem pole of hate than gtown.

its been a great ride and will continue to be so im sure.

but damn, if there is 1 thing I miss...its the WV board from rivals. those hillbillys were Fn hysterical. I used to spend hours on there with them.

KaiserUEO said:
the mixing and mashing of the boneyard and us back then, really helped my hatred of storz evolve into the hate-fire of a thousand suns it stands at today.

but they are still lower on the totem pole of hate than gtown.

its been a great ride and will continue to be so im sure.

but damn, if there is 1 thing I miss...its the WV board from rivals. those hillbillys were Fn hysterical. I used to spend hours on there with them.

Are you a closet hillbilly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom