Has Boeheim entered the Frank Beamer/Mack Brown zone? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Has Boeheim entered the Frank Beamer/Mack Brown zone?

VCU - 7 tournament bids plus another coming this year - one final four
Wichita State - 4 bids with another coming this year - one final four
Syracuse - 6 bids - one final four

So different that the word similar is blasphemy huh. Guess what bud, I'd rather make the tournament 8 times instead of 6 if only getting to the final four once and not winning anything anyway.

"Two players away". that could apply to the 300-something D1 programs who don't win the last game

Wonder if those 2 players may have been the 2 that were pushed away...Seems like a 1 & a 3 that could've played 10-15 mins would've been quite nice to have.

So different that the word similar is blasphemy huh. Guess what bud, I'd rather make the tournament 8 times instead of 6 if only getting to the final four once and not winning anything anyway.

So VCU getting to the 2nd weekend once and Wichita getting to the 2nd weekend twice is equal to SU getting to the second weekend 4 times?

It's not blasphemy, but to cherry pick facts is ridiculous.

Yeah, I can't get behind VCU and the Shockers ... they got a lot of press during their big seasons, but they haven't done much else.

I mean, heck, in that time period Georgetown has some tournament bids and one final four, but, well:
18ibgm06brra7gif.gif

O great...2 seasons with no NCAAT and people are calling for his head. If it wasnt for the suspension this year we are in NCAAT easily. Probably a 5-9 seed. The suspension screwed the whole season and the team never recovered.

Agreed with NKR here...I always deem a successful season for us by Sweet 16s.

Look, "bud." You said the resumes were similar. You've been proven wrong. Just own it and move on.

This is rather laughable.

How so? We were a completely different w/o Boehiem. I am convinced we would have beat ST Johns and Clemson with him and most likely Gtown. Thats 2-3 more wins on the season. And who knows how we would have fared in the other games that we lost if he was on the bench...hence, why i put 5 seed as the highest we could have been.

Look, "bud." You said the resumes were similar. You've been proven wrong. Just own it and move on.

Sure if you think that making the sweet 16 one year and playing in the NIT the next is better than making the tourney twice, which I do not. Hope you enjoy this years NIT, I'm sure it'll be a real hoot!

How so? We were a completely different w/o Boehiem. I am convinced we would have beat ST Johns and Clemson with him and most likely Gtown. Thats 2-3 more wins on the season. And who knows how we would have fared in the other games that we lost if he was on the bench...hence, why i put 5 seed as the highest we could have been.

Because we saw how we fared in other games with him on the bench. We just lost 5 of 6.

Give us 3 wins of SJU, GTown, and Clemson...yeah, probably an 8-9. We're not close to a 5.

I don't think people are calling for his head, but Boeheim will be 72 years old when next season starts. I don't know how to break it gently, but he won't be coaching much longer. And recent history has not been kind to those 70 and older coaching basketball teams. Great coaches with long tenures go out with a bang or a whimper and these last two seasons don't necessarily scream bang. Lute Olson is the only coach older than 72 to have a team to the NCAA Tournament. He was 73. And only missed one tournament, his first year there, in his career at Arizona.

I don't know what any of this means.

JB is not "great," unless you consider a large number of coaches to be "great."
I'd love to hear the reasons for the dreadful stretch.
You would like to mix in some M2M? Based on what, exactly, as a demonstration that this staff is capable of coaching it? The last few times we tried, weren't we torched by D2 schools? Are you suggesting that this team, horrible in zone, would have been better in man, in spurts, even though we have stopped practicing man?

This one, though, wobbles the mind:
"The defense is always good enough - we just needed to stop recruiting dudes who are one-dimensional, and then not being able to even teach them how to play zone which just exacerbated the problems."

So, the defense ISN'T good enough, because we HAVE been recruiting one-dimensional dudes? And, the coach is "great," but he can't even teach them how to play zone? I'm so confused... Seems like half of the post was written in sarcasm, and the other half as a JB apologist. So, the defense IS good enough, when we can recruit the best player in all of the NCAA one year out of 40?

"You can't recruit offensive duds, if you can't teach them defense for 3 years." I think you're saying that if the coaches are certain, before a kid gets to campus, that the kid won't 'master' the zone within three years, they should not recruit him unless he's certain to be a volume scorer. Or something like that. Did i get it? So, if the coach is great, then is it the kid's fault for not being able to learn the defense in 3 years? Does it take longer than that? If so, the coach probably isn't so great if he expects it takes 3 years to learn a defense. During which time, the best players will have declared, and then we're stuck with the not so best players struggling until they become seniors. Or, something like that. This makes it sound like the Triangle... It's the perfect defense, if you have the perfect set of players for it, after the requisite amount of time it takes to learn it. But, the zone isn't that complicated. It's just made to look like that when JB screams at his dog house kids when a shot is made against it, even though that kid was covering a space when the ball USED to be there... But, the ball is faster than the kid. Soooooo, JB has installed a defense that obligates him to scream at/yank a kid every other possession.

I can't fathom why you would say you don't get my post, and then write this rambling, fairly obnoxious, semi-incoherent response in return. Unless you were doing it to be mean by forcing me to read it.

You're arguing over the word "great?" You realize that's a subjective assessment? It's an opinion. Like, I think Twizzlers are great. It's not a fact. Name 10 coaches off the top of your head that have been to more championship games. That alone could put him in the discussion without the need for such an over-the-top response.

We were torched by multiple D2 schools? Could you name them all? I got LeMoyne, you finish the list. Not sure I see your point anyway. I wasn't advocating that we go man exclusively. I said mix it in. I trust JB to assess whether the guys in the game can play it, I just wish it was something we had and could employ from time to time.

I would assume, and this is just a guess, if we were going to play a little M2M defense, we might practice it. Are you for real?

I'm not sure this is hard to understand. We have been recruiting players (seemingly) that are a fit for the zone, but often we've had guys like Patterson, Roberson, Johnson, Cooney, etc...that are too one-dimensional on offense.

Some of those guys, like BJ Johnson, etc...can't get on the court because they're not good enough to play zone. I see that as a problem. I think we're sort of agreeing, but I really can't figure out what you're trying to argue. I do think it's a problem that we have kids that can't get on the court for two years because the zone is so intricate. I think that falls on coaching to a certain extent, but more on our recruiting philosophy. Ultimately, that's why I was implying that you have to recruit players that can offer up enough offensively to offset some of the limitations that exist early on. Like a Lydon...

That last paragraph is too long and strangely worded - I stopped reading.

we've never exactly roared to few final fours we did reach. i can remember there being talk of reseeding twice !

we've never exactly roared to few final fours we did reach. i can remember there being talk of reseeding twice !
I would say they roared into the Final Four in 1987, 2003 and 2013.

Duke is undersized, lost Amile Jefferson and is still managing to make the tournament with ease.

Just gonna put that there.

O great...2 seasons with no NCAAT and people are calling for his head. If it wasnt for the suspension this year we are in NCAAT easily. Probably a 5-9 seed. The suspension screwed the whole season and the team never recovered.
What a crock we had to win one more game the last month a couldn't do it so jb hasn't done anything the last month. But got all the credit when we won a few in a row against horrible teams in the middle of our schedule

So jb doesn't play zone against St. John's or we shoot free throws better against Clemson cause he's on the bench nah... We just aren't very good this year

Just checking in to see how those resumes look now?
Just because we lucked into the NCAA this year due to how bad the rest of college basketball is doesn't make the initial premise of this thread and more or less true. The fact of the matter is this program has really struggled to win games in the ACC the last 2 years and has struggled with pace of play and a lack of offensive identity for many years now. As been mentioned ad nauseum we have an offense that doesn't work unless you have elite lottery pick level talent at wing and/or guard... that is not a recipe for long term success in the ACC especially when we have a 70+ year old coach who doesn't really want to go after those elite lottery pick guys (again this is from recruiting experts on the board). Nothing that happened yesterday changes the state of the program. Changes need to be made on both offense and defense.

I really hope that we win it all so that JB can retire on a high note.

Just because we lucked into the NCAA this year due to how bad the rest of college basketball is doesn't make the initial premise of this thread and more or less true. The fact of the matter is this program has really struggled to win games in the ACC the last 2 years and has struggled with pace of play and a lack of offensive identity for many years now. As been mentioned ad nauseum we have an offense that doesn't work unless you have elite lottery pick level talent at wing and/or guard... that is not a recipe for long term success in the ACC especially when we have a 70+ year old coach who doesn't really want to go after those elite lottery pick guys (again this is from recruiting experts on the board). Nothing that happened yesterday changes the state of the program. Changes need to be made on both offense and defense.

I really hope that we win it all so that JB can retire on a high note.

Buzz_Killington.jpg

I can't fathom why you would say you don't get my post, and then write this rambling, fairly obnoxious, semi-incoherent response in return. Unless you were doing it to be mean by forcing me to read it.

You're arguing over the word "great?" You realize that's a subjective assessment? It's an opinion. Like, I think Twizzlers are great. It's not a fact. Name 10 coaches off the top of your head that have been to more championship games. That alone could put him in the discussion without the need for such an over-the-top response.

We were torched by multiple D2 schools? Could you name them all? I got LeMoyne, you finish the list. Not sure I see your point anyway. I wasn't advocating that we go man exclusively. I said mix it in. I trust JB to assess whether the guys in the game can play it, I just wish it was something we had and could employ from time to time.

I would assume, and this is just a guess, if we were going to play a little M2M defense, we might practice it. Are you for real?

I'm not sure this is hard to understand. We have been recruiting players (seemingly) that are a fit for the zone, but often we've had guys like Patterson, Roberson, Johnson, Cooney, etc...that are too one-dimensional on offense.

Some of those guys, like BJ Johnson, etc...can't get on the court because they're not good enough to play zone. I see that as a problem. I think we're sort of agreeing, but I really can't figure out what you're trying to argue. I do think it's a problem that we have kids that can't get on the court for two years because the zone is so intricate. I think that falls on coaching to a certain extent, but more on our recruiting philosophy. Ultimately, that's why I was implying that you have to recruit players that can offer up enough offensively to offset some of the limitations that exist early on. Like a Lydon...

Dude. You used the word "great," no? Am i 'arguing' the definition? I asked you to clarify what 'greatness' is in your mind, because i dispute that JB is "great." And, yes, inherent in that dispute is an understanding that it's subjective. That's the point. You made a declarative statement of a subjective assessment. I asked that you back it up. Now, you're asking for ten coaches that have been to more championship games. That would not be a metric in my definition of "great." It's far too simplistic. But, maybe that's what you need. And, even in a simplistic discussion, you're still misunderstanding my position. I'm not saying he "sucks." I personally put him on a 'second tier.' Three championship appearances. In 40 years. 'Pretty good.' Not "great." If that's great, then i'd have to ask if you have a 'classification' above "great." If so, then, as i was suggesting, it's a semantic game.

You suggested we "mix in" man to man. This year. When we no longer even practice it. Then, you're now saying you trust JB to decide whether we can play it. Which, apparently, he has decided we can't. Then, you say that if we were to mix it in, we should practice it. A lot of conflicts in 'reasoning.' We sucked at it, so we stopped playing it and practicing it. But, contrary to JB's assessment — the reason why we stopped — you think we should have begun again THIS YEAR, at some point after the season had commenced, to begin practicing it again, so we could employ it THIS YEAR. That is a wholly-incoherent response. But, then, you now go on to suggest that it's just something you "wish... we had and could employ from time to time." Well, shucks. I'd like to introduce you to Me. I hate the zone. I, too, wish we played M2M. Perhaps not exclusively, but... a lot. But, i'm not silly enough to suggest that a coach that could not get good athletes to do it successfully against our early cupcake schedule — after practicing it "exclusively" (as had been reported) for years — that we can just turn on the good M2M switch and launch into it during a season. A season during which we were also going to be missing our coach for some period of 9 games. Are you for real?

"I'm not sure this is hard to understand. We have been recruiting players (seemingly) that are a fit for the zone, but often we've had guys like Patterson, Roberson, Johnson, Cooney, etc...that are too one-dimensional on offense."

Yeah, that is hard (for me) to understand. It's a common comment, that JB "recruits for the zone." But, we have as many players that fit into that supposed archetype as players that don't. It's an illusion. A commentator's BS talking point. GMac. Onuaku. Rick... Not "long and lean and quick" guys, as the commentators usually characterize "zone guys." Trevor isn't even the prototypical front of the zone guy. But, he's been successful there, in some respects, if you count steals, but dismiss the old 'tap the midsection as you're shooting' thing... But, whatever. We were recruiting the same types of athletes when we were a M2M team as we are now.

You can't figure out what i'm trying to argue? I'm arguing the 'logic' of your statements. And, yeah, we're actually on the same side of some of those specious arguments.

"The zone is so intricate." If we watch JB's reactions to opponents' scores, we might be persuaded that it is. But, it isn't. JB has a conniption whenever someone scores on it. The younger the defender, the bigger the conniption. But, the ball moves faster than the defender. The defender can be manipulated by the pass. That's why we get lit up by kids with only basic skills (see the Italian kid at St. J who "bring the guns"). Because they don't have to beat a defender off the ball. They can stand there, wait for a sequence of passes to manipulate two defenders out of position, catch the ball, and shoot. Simple. And, we'll have two guys run at the shooter, but they were not in front of said shooter because they were chasing the faster ball, and therefore cannot be where the ball was or is going. So, someone gets yanked or bitched at for 'allowing' a shot... I wonder if that might affect that player's performance on the other end of the court... No, of course not. Everything is in isolation, right? The zone is less intricate than man to man. My sense is that that's why we're in it. Less effort, not more, from JB... But, heck — that's just, like, my opinion, man.

If it's a problem that a kid is a zone defensive liability for his first "two years," then that means we can't/shouldn't recruit anyone who would be here for less time, which means not enough talent to compete at the top of the ACC. As i have been saying, that's kinda like the Triangle Offense. Phil says it takes a few years to get players to learn it and to commit to it. Which means you have a continuing carousel of players who aren't committed to it and don't understand it. Which is counterproductive, despite the 'metric' of the number of championships he's won with it. If the number of championships was the metric for deciding what type of offense to run, then all of the other coaches in the NBA/around the world (and why not in college?) should be adopting the Triangle. Those guys are more 'basketball smart/'sperienced' than you or I, sooooo... So, yeah, i think that's another point we agree on. Just not for the same reasons. But, i still don't get the thing about needing to "recruit players that can offer up enough offensively to offset some of the limitations that exist early on. Like a Lydon..."

I don't think Lydon is any better or worse in the zone than other players we've had who were criticized for their play. And, largely, that may be a matter of rarely having seen him in the proper position. Hard to say whether he's good in the zone when he's been at center, where it doesn't much matter if he's in the 'proper position,' as his weight/strength doesn't permit him to defend there either way. I truly believe a kid gets a reputation for 'bad zone play' based on the number of times JB screams at/yanks him, while the same plays go unpunished by veterans. And, it's a quickly-cascading negative reinforcement effect. You get screamed at, you begin to question your every move, your moves become less intuitive and more 'thinky' and that's the death knell. And, then THAT kills you on the offensive side. JB likes to 'tear people down' before building them up. A one size fits all approach to 'development.' It doesn't always work that way, and even when it does work eventually, we're still left with kids on the court in the process of being torn down. Which doesn't help our offense. Again — opinion. But, since there's no empirical means of measuring determining it either way, i'm sticking with it. Sucks to have a kid like Frankie on the court, who CAN score, afraid to do anything toward the hoop. I'm all for 'guidelines' and frameworks for young and unproven players, but not the kind that seem like they're implemented on the game floor, while a kid is trying to grow and help us.

So, at the end of all this, i'm still left wondering... You said JB is great, and then detail the many ways in which you believe he should change... Which is where i am. What would he be if he did all of those things?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom