Has Boeheim entered the Frank Beamer/Mack Brown zone? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Has Boeheim entered the Frank Beamer/Mack Brown zone?

This is a classic post in retrospect.

I'm sure it is. Was such an enjoyable season with 13 losses, a losing record in conference, no conference tourney wins and a loss to a team that went on to lose its next 16 games including to powerhouses like Incarnate Word & NJIT. Probably the same kind of guy on the football board talking about the history of the program as if 18 year old kids really care about what schools were doing before they were even born.

I'm sure it is. Was such an enjoyable season with 13 losses, a losing record in conference, no conference tourney wins and a loss to a team that went on to lose its next 16 games including to powerhouses like Incarnate Word & NJIT. Probably the same kind of guy on the football board talking about the history of the program as if 18 year old kids really care about what schools were doing before they were even born.

You whined and moaned that we've missed 4 of the last 10 tournaments. Turned out you were wrong, but because you want to complain, you now move the goal posts.

You whined and moaned that we've missed 4 of the last 10 tournaments. Turned out you were wrong, but because you want to complain, you now move the goal posts.

Since you're such a brilliant prognosticator and knew they were getting in for certain then should probably post tonights lotto numbers for the rest of us regular folks too.

If we somehow were to ever beat MSU, you'll disappear.

Since you're such a brilliant prognosticator and knew they were getting in for certain then should probably post tonights lotto numbers for the rest of us regular folks too.

Again, you're moving the goal posts. You argued that Wichita and VCU were better than us over the last 10 years. I don't think that's true in any real way.

Regardless, I didn't think we were in, but if I had known the committee would value top 50 wins (like many on this board tried to emphasize) I'd have had more confidence.

Also, being able to predict NCAA invitations is based off knowledge of the criteria and there's data available. It's simply not remotely analogous to choosing lotto numbers, so I'm not sure where you were going with that one.

Just checking in to see how those resumes look now?

Do people not realize that Mack Brown had a winning record up until he retired? Jesus you guys completely butchered the premise of this thread.

If we somehow were to ever beat MSU, you'll disappear.

I think many people would be willing to disappear from an internet message board in exchange for that upset. I certainly would if we could go back in time and beat them the last time we played them in the tourney, might've been the toughest loss I can remember (was only 3 in '87). Up 14 against stupid Mateen Cleaves and end up giving up 50 in the 2nd half.

I think many people would be willing to disappear from an internet message board in exchange for that upset. I certainly would if we could go back in time and beat them the last time we played them in the tourney, might've been the toughest loss I can remember (was only 3 in '87). Up 14 against stupid Mateen Cleaves and end up giving up 50 in the 2nd half.
Arkansas says hello.

you might be too young to remember the pain. We had the game won.

Yeah, the only definitive memory I have from that tournament was Toby Bailey blowing up and becoming my favorite NCAA player for the next year or 2.

Again, you're moving the goal posts. You argued that Wichita and VCU were better than us over the last 10 years. I don't think that's true in any real way.
Regardless, I didn't think we were in, but if I had known the committee would value top 50 wins (like many on this board tried to emphasize) I'd have had more confidence.
Also, being able to predict NCAA invitations is based off knowledge of the criteria and there's data available. It's simply not remotely analogous to choosing lotto numbers, so I'm not sure where you were going with that one.

Our basketball team may be better but how can our cheerleaders compete with this pose?

shocker.png

It's just not an NCAA tournament unless I post this picture.

you might be too young to remember the pain. We had the game won.

The low point of Moten's relatively crappy senior season. Compounding the timeout error was the fact that SU had the possession arrow, and only seconds to go, so the even if SU had timeouts it was unnecessary. Total lack of awareness from a senior.

The low point of Moten's relatively crappy senior season. Compounding the timeout error was the fact that SU had the possession arrow, and only seconds to go, so the even if SU had timeouts it was unnecessary. Total lack of awareness from a senior.

Really glad that I was too young to remember that, also glad that social media wasn't around for that type of thing either. My 1st vivid Syracuse B-ball memory is Wallace to Cipolla and then that leaner 3 from Wallace in OT, don't really recall anything prior to that game.

Do people not realize that Mack Brown had a winning record up until he retired? Jesus you guys completely butchered the premise of this thread.

Your original premise went off on a tangent...That's what I was responding to. I'm not asking to compare JB and Mack Browns resumes.

To be fair he was saying that VCU and WSU have similar resumes to Syracuse. Which I guess is true...if you use the most blunt measurement tool available (number of final fours).

I would say most people are a little more nuanced.

Saw this idea posted elsewhere and I have to say I think I agree. Particularly comparing him to Mack Brown. Very similar arcs going towards the end of their careers.

I hate to do this to ya Czar especially because i saw your point back then - but amazing what 2 weeks has done.

I don't think people are calling for his head, but Boeheim will be 72 years old when next season starts. I don't know how to break it gently, but he won't be coaching much longer. And recent history has not been kind to those 70 and older coaching basketball teams. Great coaches with long tenures go out with a bang or a whimper and these last two seasons don't necessarily scream bang. Lute Olson is the only coach older than 72 to have a team to the NCAA Tournament. He was 73. And only missed one tournament, his first year there, in his career at Arizona.
Don't look ... I just need to do some minor editing to this one. The team has certainly righted the ship and this season is looking more and more like a bang.

One of my favorite aspects of this ride is that it slams the door shut on this thread.

To be fair though, we had taken a step or two back from the 09-14 run.

One of my favorite aspects of this ride is that it slams the door shut on this thread.

To be fair though, we had taken a step or two back from the 09-14 run.
A step back from five years of very good teams? Yeah, that'll happen every once and awhile :rolleyes:

I was just thinking about this thread yesterday. I told my wife I'm in such a good mood right now there is nothing Igor or Zelda could write that would ruin it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom