Have I said enough how much I hate the ND games. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Have I said enough how much I hate the ND games.

thats where i was intending to go. too much jack last night, left the keyboard for a while and i lost my train of thought. :noidea:

:bang:

whenever a vocal minority screams about some wrong being done on here, i know they made the right call up on the hill.

home or not home only matters is if the pay for the home team is higher. and if it is, we won that battle.

schedule a 1-1 with buffalo and give them the away game in 17. that will also be like a home game.

simple stuff here.

Oh Lord
If my argument was read without blinders on I believe it would be 50/50 on both sides. I have made legitimate arguments which some disagree with in those, but don't tell me that it means they made the call up on the hill. Dr. Gross told me to MY FACE he didn't like the deal in 2009, but did it because he had too for $$$. If he knew the ACC move was coming while he never said it for a fact he likely wouldn't have agreed to this deal.

I mean c'mon man, your smart, you give strong opinions some I agree with others I don't, but don't make my position out to be like I am screaming about nothing. Syracuse football fans in CNY and season ticket holders are not going to be seeing much of a benefit to Notre Dame playing 5 ACC opponents each year.

Now, I have had a conservation with somebody who is making a legit point to me MAYBE the future ND home games will be in NYC, but I have no faith ND will do that for us, but I guess its possible.

Last edited:
First, in the Dome it would be 45k+. 40k SU fans in the Dome is a better chance to win than MetLife with 20k SU fans.
so i have to 'play' harder when i watch in the Dome than when i watch in Giants Stadium??

so you think we will and should, lose every bowl game too??

comical.

You may claim that these games are SU home games, but we really don't know that. Just because you claim that as a "fact", doesn't make it so.

I believe it's more like having the two MetLife games being transformed from SU home games as part of the original deal to being the first two SU-ND games as part of the ND-ACC agreement.

Time will tell, but I don't see the need for all of the outrage and venom that's being spewed here.

Going to side with Alsacs on this. I believe these are regarded as "home games" for Syracuse in terms of TV rights.

Cheers,
Neil

Chip said:
Well if it's not in the MAC or CUSA family, then someone mid level BCS like a Minnesota type? Or one of the ACC mid level teams (considering we were still Big East at the time the deal was made). Do you think we were looking at the choice of ND in NYC or a heavyweight in the Dome and took ND in NYC? I'm not saying that's wrong, but you'd have a hard time convincing me unless Gross told me that himself. And even if it wasn't really a choosing between two teams thing at the time he made the deal, it's still choosing which direction you want to go based on what you think is realistic. So do you think he had a realistic shot of getting a heavyweight to come to the Dome but decided to lock in ND in NYC instead?

I'm not changing my opinion. I fail to believe nobody would come to the Dome. Sure a top 10 team or even a ND might not but there are plenty of good name teams that I am sure would. They do with every other team. A team like say Tennessee might do a home and home. It isn't just MAC teams that will. Playing a Tennessee in the Dome to me is better than playing a ND or some other top name team in NJ.

Better chance to win. Better home schedule. Twice as many SU fans see the game live. And I don't feel the difference in $$$ is all that great. So like I have said several times, we made a conscious decision to take a little more $$$ over a better chance to win and to help attendance. The latter 2 IMO are more important to helping the program than the first.

Do you know why Tiger Woods doesn't fly coach? Because he doesn't have to...

Do you know why SU won't play St.Johns at Carnesecca Arena? Because we don't have to...

Such is life when working with big dogs. They call the shots.

They're playing at Virginia, NC State, and Pitt.

These Meadowlands games have already gotten old, and we're still locked into more of them.

From the average fans perspective, nobody has any room to complain about attendance or fan support when you only play the big dogs at the Meadowlands and not at the Dome.

They're playing at Virginia, NC State, and Pitt.

These Meadowlands games have already gotten old, and we're still locked into more of them.

From the average fans perspective, nobody has any room to complain about attendance or fan support when you only play the big dogs at the Meadowlands and not at the Dome.

Are Clemson and FSU little dogs? Those 3 schools you mentioned both play in larger building than the Dome and are in or are right outside much bigger TV markets.

Last edited:
I'm not changing my opinion. I fail to believe nobody would come to the Dome. Sure a top 10 team or even a ND might not but there are plenty of good name teams that I am sure would. They do with every other team. A team like say Tennessee might do a home and home. It isn't just MAC teams that will. Playing a Tennessee in the Dome to me is better than playing a ND or some other top name team in NJ.

Better chance to win. Better home schedule. Twice as many SU fans see the game live. And I don't feel the difference in $$$ is all that great. So like I have said several times, we made a conscious decision to take a little more $$$ over a better chance to win and to help attendance. The latter 2 IMO are more important to helping the program than the first.

And this, to me, is the rational side to the no MetLife game side of the argument.

The only quibble I have with what you state is that these are the short-term benefits. Imho, TGD wasn't simply going for the $$$ over the the better chance to win and loss of home attendance, but the vision of actually becoming NYS college football team with a significant number of fans in the NYC area where instead of relying on an ND, or a PSU, or a Michigan, we could actually get 50K to the stadium of SU fans by the end of the extended the 20 year contract which in turn would lead to better recruiting and more donor $$$ and put us in a position to get back to being a Baron in college football.

In other words, he was willing to take the short-term risk to gain more than simply short-term $$$. If the 20 year extended contract is still in play, will it succeed? Who knows. If the 20 year extended contract has indeed gone POOF, then little damage has been done at this point in time.

Cheers,
Neil

Are Clemson and FSU little dogs? Those 3 schools you mentioned both play in larger building than the Dome and are in our right outside much bigger TV markets.
I hope somebody in the local Syracuse media on the record will ask Dr. Gross if he will state whether or not Clemson, Florida State or any good ACC opponent will not be part of Syracuse's Metlife future games. The reason I ask this is because outside of the ND-Metlife games no other games have been announced at all, and if we have a contract to play games their why is it out of the question that Clemson or Florida State may be played at Metlife.

The Buffalo Bills have played all AFC East rivals except New England in Toronto in the past. I just want Dr. Gross to address this and not have go quietly away like local fans aren't losing out.

I wish our CNY fan base would stop whining about the MetLife series. The deal was made when we were in the Big East...we should live up to our agreements unless there is a negotiated settlement.

KaiserUEO said:
so i have to 'play' harder when i watch in the Dome than when i watch in Giants Stadium?? so you think we will and should, lose every bowl game too?? comical.

No idea what you just said. But the facts are the probability of winning at home is greater than at a "neutral" site. There are more home team fans at a home game than at a "neutral" site. And in reference to this game, we will be at a disadvantage as to the number of fans so it's not even "neutral".

Are Clemson and FSU little dogs? Those 3 schools you mentioned both play in larger building than the Dome and are in our right outside much bigger TV markets.

Those are league games, there's no choice in the matter. And really, how much larger are NC State and Virginia's stadiums? Not by a significant margin where that should matter. Pitt's NFL stadium is obviously larger(and thus usually much more empty, as that fanbase doesn't seem to care much)

ND is a special situation, and sure enough...we're the ones playing our "home games" with them 4 hours away where we'll be outnumbered by at least 2-1 in fan attendance.

I realize those games were scheduled before the ACC, but it still sucks for the fans.

USC, Penn State, ND is what I'm referring to. "Big dogs" that aren't locked into playing at the Dome like FSU and Clemson are.

Be real, even with Clemson our home schedule at the Dome was uninspiring this year. One good game, 2 decent ones, and 2 scrub games. Put the Penn State game in the Dome though, and it becomes an attractive home schedule.

Bayside44 said:

Nope, they aren't little dogs. Nor was it a little attendance. That's the point.

Those are league games, there's no choice in the matter. And really, how much larger are NC State and Virginia's stadiums? Not by a significant margin where that should matter. Pitt's NFL stadium is obviously larger(and thus usually much more empty, as that fanbase doesn't seem to care much)

ND is a special situation, and sure enough...we're the ones playing our "home games" with them 4 hours away where we'll be outnumbered by at least 2-1 in fan attendance.

I realize those games were scheduled before the ACC, but it still sucks for the fans.

USC, Penn State, ND is what I'm referring to. "Big dogs" that aren't locked into playing at the Dome like FSU and Clemson are.

Be real, even with Clemson our home schedule at the Dome was uninspiring this year. One good game, 2 decent ones, and 2 scrub games. Put the Penn State game in the Dome though, and it becomes an attractive home schedule.

Penn State was a 1-1-1 deal. Don't see what is bad about that.

TexanMark said:
I wish our CNY fan base would stop whining about the MetLife series. The deal was made when we were in the Big East...we should live up to our agreements unless there is a negotiated settlement.

So? It's always been a bad deal. If it's such a great deal why isn't everyone tripping over their feet trying to get in line to do the same? And before you say the deal makes us rich you better know how much we get as well as how much we make from a home game in the Dome vs a good team. You could also review the football financials that GOSU posted for all teams.

I hope somebody in the local Syracuse media on the record will ask Dr. Gross if he will state whether or not Clemson, Florida State or any good ACC opponent will not be part of Syracuse's Metlife future games. The reason I ask this is because outside of the ND-Metlife games no other games have been announced at all, and if we have a contract to play games their why is it out of the question that Clemson or Florida State may be played at Metlife.

The Buffalo Bills have played all AFC East rivals except New England in Toronto in the past. I just want Dr. Gross to address this and not have go quietly away like local fans aren't losing out.

If they move FSU and Clemson to Metlife, we would completely lose our home fan support which is already struggling. The Dome should be packed and loud and incredibly difficult to come into and win, the way it always was. Giving up on that happening would be ridiculous. If they think the BC game is going to move the needle, they're wrong. Most fans remember when BC was one of the least attractive home games on the schedule, rather than the best one(which it would be if they were insane enough to move the Clemson game).

The Bills are a friggin joke and the Toronto series is ridiculously stupid. They're not exactly a model franchise to follow.

True, forgot that. I guess it just sucks when it falls in a year where we've got no good OOC games at the Dome, and really only one big conference game(which drew like it should've). BC and Pitt have always been "eh" games.

If my argument was read without blinders on I believe it would be 50/50 on both sides. I have made legitimate arguments which some disagree with in those, but don't tell me that it means they made the call up on the hill. Dr. Gross told me to MY FACE he didn't like the deal in 2009, but did it because he had too for $$$. If he knew the ACC move was coming while he said it for a fact he likely wouldn't have agreed to this deal.

I mean c'mon man you smart, you give strong opinions some I agree with other I don't, but don't make my position out to be like I am screaming about nothing. Syracuse football fans in CNY and season ticket holders are not going to be seeing much of a benefit to Notre Dame playing 5 ACC opponents each year.

Now, I have had a conservation with somebody who is making a legit point to me MAYBE the future ND home games will be in NYC, but I have no faith ND will do that for us, but I guess its possible.
why are you so hung up on who is the home team??? who the Fluck cares??

we get 4 ACC home, 4 ACC away and nd at Giants Stadium.

wow.

scheduling up there has been a clusterfluck for a while, its why next year is 6-5-1. no reason that it cant be 7-4-1 in 16.

Syracuse is playing nd 2x in the 1st 3 years, thats a good thing. that should make you and all fans of the program happy.

Bayside44 said:

I also don't have a problem with that deal.

True, forgot that. I guess it just sucks when it falls in a year where we've got no good OOC games at the Dome, and really only one big conference game(which drew like it should've). BC and Pitt have always been "eh" games.

BC and Pitt shouldn't be though...that's the living definition of the peer group. If fans think it's eh it's on them.

BC and Pitt shouldn't be though...that's the living definition of the peer group. If fans think it's eh it's on them.
seriously, we just had those 2 teams in the Dome, with a chance to be bowl eligible... shouldve been party time up there.

would people haved liked it better if wins got us to the chik fil-a or Orange??

doubt it.

its the BCS Champ game (now the F4) or bust up there.

so sad.

So? It's always been a bad deal. If it's such a great deal why isn't everyone tripping over their feet trying to get in line to do the same? And before you say the deal makes us rich you better know how much we get as well as how much we make from a home game in the Dome vs a good team. You could also review the football financials that GOSU posted for all teams.
Ok, how much do we make for a home game vs a good team? And how does that compare to what we make at MetLife?

Agreed, the only "meh" games on an ACC football schedule are Duke and Wake. The problem is that the only "wow" games are FSU, Miami, VT, and Clemson at this point in time. The rest are solid.

Cheers,
Neil

Love the Notre Dame games at Met Life. High profile. Great deal by Gross pre-ACC.

Who even knows if ND will be affiliated with the ACC in six years.

And CNY has shown they dont support SU football. Good for Gross for thinking outside the box (dome).

CNY has shown they don't support bad SU football. Big difference. I would say they also don't really support mediocre football against mediocre opponents, unfortunately.

Call it a bandwagon town(which it is, as are many places) but there has been support in the past. Play good opponents at home and win games, and the support will be there....like most every other program besides the ones who treat football as religion. See our fellow ACC members attendance, other than FSU, VT, and Clemson.

I don't disagree, and I'm not saying I see it that way. I was fired up for both games.

But I think that's the way the general, average fan sees it.

Obviously college football has changed. But we used to always get 2, sometimes 3 "big" home games a year. We played Ohio State, Texas, and Miami home in the same year. We played VT, Miami, and Tennessee home in the same year. We played Oklahoma, UNC when they were top 10, Auburn, Michigan, etc. Recently, it's been one "big" home game at the most, sometimes with the one "big game" being someone like Louisville last year(good team, not much football cache). Get USC in the Dome, and it's a different story. Get ND in the Dome, different story.

So when did you say those MetLife tickets go on sale? I heard they're going to bring in special trailers to use as men's rooms--going to have metal pee troughs inside so the the Syracuse fans will have that home-at-the-Dome advantage. Plus LaBatt's only at the concession stands.

why are you so hung up on who is the home team??? who the Fluck cares??

we get 4 ACC home, 4 ACC away and nd at Giants Stadium.

wow.

scheduling up there has been a clusterfluck for a while, its why next year is 6-5-1. no reason that it cant be 7-4-1 in 16.

Syracuse is playing nd 2x in the 1st 3 years, thats a good thing. that should make you and all fans of the program happy.

In 2009, while I don't like it I understand why Notre Dame only agreed to play us if we would play our home games at Metlife, and I realize why Dr. Gross took the money when he had too.

In 2012, when ND agreed to play 5 ACC games it all changed. I hate this because Notre Dame is suppose to be a partner of Syracuse when they agreed to play 5 ACC teams each year to join all non-football sports. Instead, of playing Syracuse at the Carrier Dome they are having their cake and eating as well. If Notre Dame came out said when Syracuse is suppose to play Notre Dame in South Bend we will move our games to Metlife as well this deal would be less bad, but it would still be bad. Syracuse because Dr. Gross agreed to these games in 2009 is being given the screws as Syracuse "home" games will be AT BEST neutral site games because Notre Dame fans will fill that stadium up. Syracuse gets nothing if the stadium has 75k or 55k as Metlife when Syracuse agreed to this series in 2009 paid Syracuse for the games. Syracuse won't benefit from this arrangement and its an insult to anybody who pays for season tickets or cares about the football program in CNY. Wake Forest when they are going to host Notre Dame isn't going to move the games to Charlotte same for Duke. Notre Dame will be playing them on their campuses, but Syracuse fans are getting screwed and NOBODY wants to admit this.

Instead, we have more people who don't want to acknowledge this and only talk about this arrangement without acknowledging the reality of the situation. If we were playing neutral site games at Metlife Stadium like we did this year with Penn State I would never open my mouth as they are neutral games, but we are playing home games against Notre Dame at Metlife, and when it comes our turn to play Notre Dame on the road if we play them in South Bend this arrangement is such an epic failure it makes my blood boil because it will be an acceptance that Syracuse is letting themselves be treated like a Mid-Major.