HC Gary Gait

dwilmont44

Starter
4-10
8-7
12-6

1 tournament appearance
1 tournament win

Record wise it seems like they're trending in the right direction.

What do you folks think about his tenure so far?

4-10
8-7
12-6

1 tournament appearance
1 tournament win

Very bad... 500 overall and only 20 13 with the number 1 class ..it was a bad hire...need a xo guy with some passion.playground lacrosse doesn't work anymore

I think next year will really decide how we view Gait. The talent will be matched with experience and McCool is touted to be solid. Odierna and March will need to demonstrate they can coach at an elite level. So far, March has not. The ACC should be weaker next year - particularly ND.

Trending the right way. Our recruiting was woefully below a top 10 standard. It’s tough to win with sophomores in an era of 5th and 6th year players.
This is a great point about Covid super seniors falling off rosters next year.

I think (hope) some of the young offensive guys play more assertive and aggressive next year.

I love how well they move the ball but I’d rather see 1-3 guys take the bull by the horns rather than defer to teammates.

true enuf . i stated that being the former doesn't necessarily make you the latter. as in i'm also sure a lot of former great players aren't great coaches. you dig ?

Yeah, his particular response missed your obvious point big time.

Trending in the right direction. I think he hires good assistants and lets them coach which is what good CEOs do (and occasionally provide input). I do think both March and Odierno have to step up next year. Also, a lot depends on the incoming recruits and who SU gets off the portal. As others have said, we need a rocket-fast dodger - Bucktooth?

This is a great point about Covid super seniors falling off rosters next year.

I think (hope) some of the young offensive guys play more assertive and aggressive next year.
Wasn’t Denver a young team?

Tiffany had UVa back to the final four in a short time. Just saying :)

Trending in the right direction. I think he hires good assistants and lets them coach which is what good CEOs do (and occasionally provide input). I do think both March and Odierno have to step up next year. Also, a lot depends on the incoming recruits and who SU gets off the portal. As others have said, we need a rocket-fast dodger - Bucktooth?
Bucktooth will in all likelihood be the slowest player on the team next year. He is not his father type player

Gait is horrible coach, doesn't do anything at all once the game starts, total sham. Reminds me of football coach (the fonz) in Waterboy lol
Agreed. Not impressed. Denver obviously made some halftime adjustments and SU did not. 3rd Q the difference

Not sure if it was you who said this in reply to my comment in the gameday thread. But I strongly disagree with this thought process.

This is sports, when my team is hiring a coach I always want a strong X and O guy. Because that way you know you will always have a strong unit that the head coach knows inside and out. So you never have to worry about that side of the ball. I was very disappointed in Gait when there was 1:30 left in the game during a timeout and he was just walking around. He wasn’t involved with the play calling or any fire up speech to light a fire under the guys.

At this juncture, I can only assume that Gait is just a big time recruiter. Because he wasn’t involved in any planning and he clearly doesn’t teach fundamentals in practice because they are lacking. The team didn’t fight for 50/50 balls, and had way too many lapses in judgement that led to silly and preventable turnovers. The way we played today, we are getting by on talent and talent alone. We looked clueless on offense and slept walked for 3/4 of the game. The team didn’t look ready to play.

Not sure if it was you who said this in reply to my comment in the gameday thread. But I strongly disagree with this thought process.

This is sports, when my team is hiring a coach I always want a strong X and O guy. Because that way you know you will always have a strong unit that the head coach knows inside and out. So you never have to worry about that side of the ball. I was very disappointed in Gait when there was 1:30 left in the game during a timeout and he was just walking around. He wasn’t involved with the play calling or any fire up speech to light a fire under the guys.

At this juncture, I can only assume that Gait is just a big time recruiter. Because he wasn’t involved in any planning and he clearly doesn’t teach fundamentals in practice because they are lacking. The team didn’t fight for 50/50 balls, and had way too many lapses in judgement that led to silly and preventable turnovers. The way we played today, we are getting by on talent and talent alone. We looked clueless on offense and slept walked for 3/4 of the game. The team didn’t look ready to play.

I'm not around the Program, but I have to think this prevailing sentiment is a ridiculous premise that gets bandied about here because Gait doesnt go apoplectic the way Corrigan does (as if that's the reason ND is winning anyway).

The guy thinks enough about lacrosse to have a specific philosophy with respect to the types of pockets players should be playing with but he somehow isn't going to be involved in team strategy or coaching fundamentals? Good feckin lord.

Michael Jordan
Wayne Gretzky

Gary Gait

4-10
8-7
12-6

1 tournament appearance
1 tournament win

Trending right direction as evidenced by 4-10 to a loss in the quarters in the Tourney. Did a nice job addressing concerns via the portal and recruiting has gone fairly well ( needs to go up another notch still).

That said there are some concerns.

He has a unique coaching style. ITs very end of the Desko era esque. He plays more of a CEO type which is fine but can rub people the wrong way especially when the wins aren't there.

Not issue with a HC being honest and saying hey " we lost because of XYX " but Desko never took personal responsibility for a loss and Gait seems to have doubled down on not taking responsibility when things go south. Not the biggest issue in the world but I always make me an uneasy when a coach never takes the blame.

Sometimes he makes weird statements. The whole comments before the ACC tourney and before the Denver game were odd and something he really should have kept to himself.

I don't love that 3 years in his teams while vastly improved overall still struggle with the same issues - Clearing against a tough ride and or a 10 man, undisciplined play for long stretches, no recognition on when the showtime plays need to be shelved (we didn't need a BTB pass down 3 late trying to get a goal) and at times turnovers.

Team is trending in the right direction and getting to the quarters was really the goal this season but id be lying if I said I didn't have some concerns about Gait's ability to lead this team to a title.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom