HC Gary Gait | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

HC Gary Gait

Not sure if it was you who said this in reply to my comment in the gameday thread. But I strongly disagree with this thought process.

This is sports, when my team is hiring a coach I always want a strong X and O guy. Because that way you know you will always have a strong unit that the head coach knows inside and out. So you never have to worry about that side of the ball. I was very disappointed in Gait when there was 1:30 left in the game during a timeout and he was just walking around. He wasn’t involved with the play calling or any fire up speech to light a fire under the guys.

At this juncture, I can only assume that Gait is just a big time recruiter. Because he wasn’t involved in any planning and he clearly doesn’t teach fundamentals in practice because they are lacking. The team didn’t fight for 50/50 balls, and had way too many lapses in judgement that led to silly and preventable turnovers. The way we played today, we are getting by on talent and talent alone. We looked clueless on offense and slept walked for 3/4 of the game. The team didn’t look ready to play.
I actually thought Gait did the right thing during that timeout with 1:30 left. It appeared to me he was in the offensive huddle. Obviously agreed and had nothing more to add to what March had to say. Then walked over to the defensive huddle since no matter what happened the defense would need to be prepared. Made sense to me. I too sometimes wonder exactly what Gait does but I don’t see why head coach/CEO/ head recruiter Gait can’t work out if his coordinators are up the the task, which I think they are.

You know who never played lacrosse and did ok? Bill Tierney.
Jon Cooper, the two-time Stanley Cup winning coach with the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning, didn't play hockey in college, he played lacrosse in college for Hofstra of all places! His coach was Danowski.

Last edited:
I wish we could go back in time and hire Lars Tiffany. Just see what happens. We may still have GG today, who knows? But, guarantee Lars would have brought energy, innovation, & an interesting connection to the community to the hill.

But, here were the relevant records at this juncture

2014-2016
* Tiffany: 36 & 14
* Desko: 36 & 13
* Starsia: 27-19

It wasn't until a year later when Desko tanked.

That said, GG technically has the program headed in the right direction. Good recruiting, hitting the portal, improving record, a playoff win.

The next 2 seasons are crucial.

If final 4s are the Syracuse standard, then we need to make it to the final 4.

Pretty frustrated w the seeming lack of fire from him, dips in the teams emotions during games, lack of in game adjustments, & go to player.

Hopefully he shows some fire this off season & hits the portal hard.

Need more consistency during the season & perhaps a better seed and an easier path to the F4.

I wish we could go back in time and hire Lars Tiffany. Just see what happens. We may still have GG today, who knows? But, guarantee Lars would have brought energy, innovation, & an interesting connection to the community to the hill.

But, here were the relevant records at this juncture

2014-2016
* Tiffany: 36 & 14
* Desko: 36 & 13
* Starsia: 27-19

It wasn't until a year later when Desko tanked.

That said, GG technically has the program headed in the right direction. Good recruiting, hitting the portal, improving record, a playoff win.

The next 2 seasons are crucial.

If final 4s are the Syracuse standard, then we need to make it to the final 4.

Pretty frustrated w the seeming lack of fire from him, dips in the teams emotions during games, lack of in game adjustments, & go to player.

Hopefully he shows some fire this off season & hits the portal hard.

Need more consistency during the season & perhaps a better seed and an easier path to the F4.
Yea, we need Air Gait.

HC gary gait should absolutely be locking up the top canadien talent.and i don't care if we play two anthems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom