Help me understand why UNC is a more winnable game than Clemson | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Help me understand why UNC is a more winnable game than Clemson

However if we catch routinely catchable balls, he throws at least 2 pick 6's- maybe 3. That brilliance is suddenly a different word.
Definitely agree, 'if' we make those catches.

If Hatcher kept running off his line once he was big boy’d, that’s not the right space to be in.

There is way more to passing and catching then *any* space.

That’s if he didn’t just pull up because he got big boy’d 2x in a row by two different CBs.

Nonsense. The first one he was where he needed to be and did not get big boy'd. He's running up the sideline on the hashmarks. The very next play, the 2nd one, he got handled. Big whoop. It happens.

There's a reason GS is 1-14 with passes over 20 yards and it's not all on the receivers.

However if we catch routinely catchable balls, he throws at least 2 pick 6's- maybe 3. That brilliance is suddenly a different word.
That's true. He did try to give us some while also making quite a few plays.

Nonsense. The first one he was where he needed to be and did not get big boy'd. He's running up the sideline on the hashmarks. The very next play, the 2nd one, he got handled. Big whoop. It happens.

There's a reason GS is 1-14 with passes over 20 yards and it's not all on the receivers.
I think it's both. The WRs can't let the DBs push them too far out, but Shrader also needs to give them a chance to make a play. When the ball is a yard out of bounds there's nothing they can do.

Well I'm talking about the upcoming UNC game...I know Barron and Villari were both dinged up and there is usually a few we don't know about who "don't make the trip". We don't know who can go and who doesn't until 10 minutes before game time.

Dino has said the problem with playing Clemson is that you get so beat up, your chances of losing subsequent games increase. I decided to look at the games we've played immediately after the Clemson game since we joined the conference.

2013: at NC State we won 24-10
2014: NC State we lost 17-24
2015: at NC State we lost 29-42
2016: NC State we lost 20-35
2017: at U of Miami 19-27
2018: at Pittsburgh we lost 37-44
2019: Western Michigan we won 52-33
2020: Wake Forest we lost 14-38
2021: at Virginia Tech we won 41-36
2022: Notre Dame we lost. 24-41

NC State has historically been an SU nemesis. 2020 was...2020. Overall I don't see a trend of us having a hard time competing the week after the Clemson game.

Unfortunately I don't think our defense matches up well here. Whether people want to acknowledge it or not our secondary is clearly not on the level that it was last year, so unless we can get pressure on the QB often we're likely to give up a lot of passing yards. Hopefully we can bring their receivers down to avoid long TDs and try to hold them to FGs when in the red zone.

I think we'll see more of the transfers in this game for that reason.

I thought Klubnik was brilliant and the folks calling him pedestrian were way off.
They're the same ones who insisted that we couldn't lose to Maryland because "Locksley can't coach" and the we lost 63-20

Dino has said the problem with playing Clemson is that you get so beat up, your chances of losing subsequent games increase. I decided to look at the games we've played immediately after the Clemson game since we joined the conference.

2013: at NC State we won 24-10
2014: NC State we lost 17-24
2015: at NC State we lost 29-42
2016: NC State we lost 20-35
2017: at U of Miami 19-27
2018: at Pittsburgh we lost 37-44
2019: Western Michigan we won 52-33
2020: Wake Forest we lost 14-38
2021: at Virginia Tech we won 41-36
2022: Notre Dame we lost. 24-41

NC State has historically been an SU nemesis. 2020 was...2020. Overall I don't see a trend of us having a hard time competing the week after the Clemson game.
But...3-8... that's definitely not trending in "we are doing well" the week after Clemson. Unless you're just referring to us not getting blown out by teams the week after Clemson. I'm not so sure it's because we just played Clemson as much as it is, those teams have just been better than us those years. With the exception of 2018 loss to Pitt. That one still burns me. We were a better team. Just not that day.

Our offense will struggle mightily I feel. A game plan requiring Shredder to run the ball repeatedly.
what-is-the-best-version-of-the-shredder-i-vote-for-the-v0-y1xol5kb26xa1.jpg

Hopefully, we learned, from the Clemson game, the level we need to play at to win vs the upper echelon of the ACC!

IMG_8610.jpeg

W
Clempsun is a better team.

If the Orangemen don't make a lot of mistakes (penalties, turnovers) then it should be a close game.
As predicted elsewhere, a 31-27 Orange victory!
When have we not made a lot of mistakes?

Wait, you mean throwing the ball just out of bounds might have contributed to this stat?

Somewhere along the way Shrader needs to play big in a big game. Not sure he's done that yet in his SU career.

Is Rocky Long really all he's hyped up to be? Clemson and Klubnick exposed SU on the long ball last week.

Not sure Beck has shined yet at SU versus a big opponent either.

I'm a big fan of both Shrader and Long, and here's a chance for them to come up big and get an upset that the nation will notice.

Somewhere along the way Shrader needs to play big in a big game. Not sure he's done that yet in his SU career.

Is Rocky Long really all he's hyped up to be? Clemson and Klubnick exposed SU on the long ball last week.

I'm a big fan of both Shrader and Long, and here's a chance for them to come up big and get an upset that the nation will notice.

He's had multiple game winning throws.

What?

This is quite a post.

If the oline protects he seems to throw well enough most games. if he can get away from pressure he does ok.. Clemson put on more pressure and made the scramble plays harder as well..

It comes down to will we be able to run our offense or will we be chasing the downs all day.

He's had multiple game winning throws.

What?
The 2022 Purdue game was a super exciting finish, one for the ages. But was beating Purdue as big a game as beating Clemson, UND, the current FSU, or an undefeated, #14 ranked UNC on the road? I don't happen to think so.

When I say big game, I mean like Dungey putting the team on his back and beating Clemson. Or McNabb in the big house or in the Gator Bowl. If you disagree, that's absolutely fine.

I'd like to see Garrett put the team on his back and win one of these big games before his time is done at SU. Hopefully, that's today.

The 2022 Purdue game was a super exciting finish, one for the ages. But was beating Purdue as big a game as beating Clemson, UND, the current FSU, or an undefeated, #14 ranked UNC on the road? I don't happen to think so.

When I say big game, I mean like Dungey putting the team on his back and beating Clemson. Or McNabb in the big house or in the Gator Bowl. If you disagree, that's absolutely fine.

I'd like to see Garrett put the team on his back and win one of these big games before his time is done at SU. Hopefully, that's today.

Garrett has made game-winning throws when he WAS on his back.

Purdue vs Syracuse THRILLING Ending | 2022 College Football

Last edited: