Here's my biggest issue... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Here's my biggest issue...

This is a BS post. He benched Whigham two weeks ago. Players know the deal.
Then why are Cornelius, and Avant still playing, 7 catches in 8 games is terrible? Cornelius also 2 times on 3rd, and 12 goes 11 yards, and catches the ball, and we have to punt.

This is a BS post. He benched Whigham two weeks ago. Players know the deal.
Yes, tell me he was not absolutely forced to make that move? What about the others mentioned? Roberts and Conway should be our right side OL.

2 series? Yea but after that every time they went deep they connected. The new QBs strength was throwing especially deep. That's our biggest weakness. After they hit several of them. It opened the running game. We know our defensive backfield is weak. That kid could put the ball out there and connect. The coaching mistakes just exasperated things.
I honestly don't know or understand what opposing coaches are thinking not just running verticals all day long? Why bother with anything else?

I honestly don't know or understand what opposing coaches are thinking not just running verticals all day long? Why bother with anything else?

I get your point but screens against us tend to be reasonably effective too.;)

I still don't get why Daivon Ellison only plays on specials.:bang: Kid was a huge playmaker for a very good high school program. He has tremendous cover and ball skills.

baggerbob said:
My biggest issue with this staff is the preseason 2 deep people keep playing regardless of production. We're 8 games into the season, and Ellison who makes tackles on special teams all the time, and played CB for one of the top High Schools can't get on the field. Yet we have an abundance of DB's not named Cordy who miss tackles every game, and still play. They also miss assignments, or are out of position to make plays on receivers.We have 2 wide receivers, who play as backups every game, and have a total of 7 receptions in 8 games. It seems to me if you can't produce during games, you should find a seat on the end of the bench.

That's just not true. Changes have been made and some guys have lost playing time. The problem is that everyone has made mistakes.

2 series? Yea but after that every time they went deep they connected. The new QBs strength was throwing especially deep. That's our biggest weakness. After they hit several of them. It opened the running game. We know our defensive backfield is weak. That kid could put the ball out there and connect. The coaching mistakes just exasperated things.
What's our strength on Defense?

Match ups. It got bad today because their strength went against our weakness. Passing, especially deep.

Right but I don't think even the FSU people thought that the backup QB could have so much success let alone throw that much. The secondary is truly atrocious though.

This is my exact issue. We need our own Matt Rhule. We need someone who can do more with less because we are never going to be the ones with more.

Great post. We don't need our own Matt Rhule. We need THE Matt Rhule. He is a phenomenal coach. I know chances are slim but I can dream

Right but I don't think even the FSU people thought that the backup QB could have so much success let alone throw that much. The secondary is truly atrocious though.
Every knew this kid has an arm. I don't get why people keep saying they knew knothing about him. The guy played well against Clemson last year.

Scooch said:
His enemy is simple math.

And that's why we're not going to win the close games. He can't "control the controllables" (his phrase, not mine).

We shouldn't have to hire someone to stand on the sideline next to him and tell him what to do in situations like that.

We weren't going to win yesterday, but halftime (again), should tell you that he's going to cost us close games.

And that's why we're not going to win the close games. He can't "control the controllables" (his phrase, not mine).

We shouldn't have to hire someone to stand on the sideline next to him and tell him what to do in situations like that.

We weren't going to win yesterday, but halftime (again), should tell you that he's going to cost us close games.

The lack of in-game adjustments has been rather telling. I still give Shaf a 50/50 for next year, but he is going to have to greatly improve his coaching over the next 4 games and prove he can win 2-3 more games.

The problem is that he is his biggest obstacle.

Chip said:
And that's why we're not going to win the close games. He can't "control the controllables" (his phrase, not mine). We shouldn't have to hire someone to stand on the sideline next to him and tell him what to do in situations like that. We weren't going to win yesterday, but halftime (again), should tell you that he's going to cost us close games.
People are cutting him slack because they are so bad that they have fewer close games for him to blow

baggerbob said:
Then why are Cornelius, and Avant still playing, 7 catches in 8 games is terrible? Cornelius also 2 times on 3rd, and 12 goes 11 yards, and catches the ball, and we have to punt.

I don't know.

I do know they are not afraid to bench guys who don't perform.

Every knew this kid has an arm. I don't get why people keep saying they knew knothing about him. The guy played well against Clemson last year.

That's my bad. I forgot about that Clemson game last year. I'm not an SU coach, however.

People are cutting him slack because they are so bad that they have fewer close games for him to blow

The amount of people cutting him slack is diminishing quickly.

If our "battle" with BC is about who can get to 4 wins, I wonder how many will still be on the ship. If we lose that game, will anyone be left who doesn't have a kid on the team?

You watch Temple play Notre Dome tough right now. We're truly talking about David vs Goliath in terms of talent, resources and everything else you can imagine when it comes to college football.

The ONLY variable is coaching. Bravo Matt Rhule.

How does the woodshed today happen? Bad coaching and a lack of adjustments. Just no good.

I wanted to start my own thread but we don't need a million of the same thread and your point I think goes along with my biggest concern the last 3 - 4 games...

We are not beating quality teams at all since Shafer has been the HC. Many people have mentioned the record vs. top 25 teams and vs FCS. It's not good at all. Even a coach that is making improvements; despite injuries and youth that other teams in the country seem to be able to deal with, should be able to beat some teams that we like to tout on here "as being winnable games".

If our recruiting is improving regardless of how young the team is (NCstate is more competitive with a young or younger team) than the coaching isn't where it should be. OR, the recruiting is exactly where all the sites list it, which is on the bottom of the ACC.

Chip said:
The amount of people cutting him slack is diminishing quickly. If our "battle" with BC is about who can get to 4 wins, I wonder how many will still be on the ship. If we lose that game, will anyone be left who doesn't have a kid on the team?

I think we can win this weekend. Wake had them beat a few times and themselves in the foot with TO's. Louisville and NC State are both winnable.

I'm less optimistic we will - feels like a snowball headed downhill... But they are not the same caliber as FSU or Clemson.

qdawgg said:
I wanted to start my own thread but we don't need a million of the same thread and your point I think goes along with my biggest concern the last 3 - 4 games... We are not beating quality teams at all since Shafer has been the HC. Many people have mentioned the record vs. top 25 teams and vs FCS. It's not good at all. Even a coach that is making improvements; despite injuries and youth that other teams in the country seem to be able to deal with, should be able to beat some teams that we like to tout on here "as being winnable games". If our recruiting is improving regardless of how young the team is (NCstate is more competitive with a young or younger team) than the coaching isn't where it should be. OR, the recruiting is exactly where all the sites list it, which is on the bottom of the ACC.

I'm not trying to pick a fight - as I agree mostly.

- vs FCS we've been fine - not one loss. Nova should have but it wasn't.

- Top 25 is interesting. We had Pitt on the ropes. Marrone beat a few of those fringe top 25 teams. Shafer has not. But Marrone's teams didn't have to play FSU and Clemson every year and didn't fair that much better vs the only comp talent wise in USC. I don't think any of our teams in the last 15 years hangs with FSU or Clemson.

- that being said its getting harder and harder to defend Shafer's in game decisions. Reed needs to go.

I agree 100% with this.

I still think Shafer COULD be that guy, but just not so sure anymore.
What a difference a week makes.

orangepassion said:
What's our strength on Defense?

We are better than 50% on getting off the field on Defense after the opponent commits two penalties and faces 3rd and 15+ yards

Maybe like 51% of the time we get s stop

There, I tried

We are better than 50% on getting off the field on Defense after the opponent commits two penalties and faces 3rd and 15+ yards

Maybe like 51% of the time we get s stop

There, I tried
and that ain't bad...

What a difference a week makes.

I am still in the Shafer camp, I just thought that was his worst game as a coach just yet.

And we all know where you stand, sir.

Actually, you don't. I am closer to your position than you know. It's just that it has become week after week of terrible decisions.
I'm with you Dasher. I've been solidly behind HCSS until now. The team's performance against Fsu had me on the ropes and then to see how well Temple played Saturday night pushed me over the line. Other than catching lightning in a bottle with ED, the team has not improved. It's time. I'm sorry Shafe!