Here's my biggest issue... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Here's my biggest issue...

I'm with you Dasher. I've been solidly behind HCSS until now. The team's performance against Fsu had me on the ropes and then to see how well Temple played Saturday night pushed me over the line. Other than catching lightning in a bottle with ED, the team has not improved. It's time. I'm sorry Shafe!
Can you imagine if Dungey didn't come here. We would have nothing to root for.

You watch Temple play Notre Dome tough right now. We're truly talking about David vs Goliath in terms of talent, resources and everything else you can imagine when it comes to college football.

The ONLY variable is coaching. Bravo Matt Rhule.

How does the woodshed today happen? Bad coaching and a lack of adjustments. Just no good.
I wasn't able to watch the game today, so was following the board threads occasionally. It was an eye opener, with enough strong things said by people I trust to make me go, "Hmm." Same for the aftermath. I think the writing is on the wall. I really hope it's not this year, unless a solid, rational case can be made for repeated, gross, incompetent mismanagement. You simply don't fire a coach after 3 years unless he pulls a Petrino, or commits such flagrant "failure to perform" that no additional time is necessary. I started to fear the latter for the first time Saturday.

I wasn't able to watch the game today, so was following the board threads occasionally. It was an eye opener, with enough strong things said by people I trust to make me go, "Hmm." Same for the aftermath. I think the writing is on the wall. I really hope it's not this year, unless a solid, rational case can be made for repeated, gross, incompetent mismanagement. You simply don't fire a coach after 3 years unless he pulls a Petrino, or commits such flagrant "failure to perform" that no additional time is necessary. I started to fear the latter for the first time Saturday.
I got the same feeling. Coyle knows that he owns this after this year and most of these AD's prefer to get their own guy.
A new AD is the one reason the coaching community will understand a change after three years.

Shafer needs to give him something to hang his hat on before the season ends.

I'm not trying to pick a fight - as I agree mostly.

- vs FCS we've been fine - not one loss. Nova should have but it wasn't.

- Top 25 is interesting. We had Pitt on the ropes. Marrone beat a few of those fringe top 25 teams. Shafer has not. But Marrone's teams didn't have to play FSU and Clemson every year and didn't fair that much better vs the only comp talent wise in USC. I don't think any of our teams in the last 15 years hangs with FSU or Clemson.

- that being said its getting harder and harder to defend Shafer's in game decisions. Reed needs to go.

I "misspoke" when I wrote FCS. Meant more, against any P5 team.

I'm not even expecting that with the talent we are getting, even though I know it's better, that we will go out and routinely beat top 25 teams. But coaches do get that done at times, even Marrone who I thought did a good job but wasn't going to take us to the promise land either. It's disappointing Shafer hasn't been able to pull an upset off yet or routinely beat what I would consider, similar level opposition.

The more this season goes on, the more losses we add to this scenario and the worse it looks and feels. I want the guy to win and be successful but I feel like I'm doing the same thing I pick on my friends who believe everything that comes out of Rex Ryans mouth. It all sounds good but it never translates where it counts.

The amount of people cutting him slack is diminishing quickly.

If our "battle" with BC is about who can get to 4 wins, I wonder how many will still be on the ship. If we lose that game, will anyone be left who doesn't have a kid on the team?

Not only how many will be on the ship, but how many would be in the stands? I don't even want to picture that. Then again maybe Coyle will get the message when there is 10k in the stands.

Not only how many will be on the ship, but how many would be in the stands? I don't even want to picture that. Then again maybe Coyle will get the message when there is 10k in the stands.

If Coyle needs to wait to see 10K at the BC game to "get the message," we have bigger problems.

If Coyle needs to wait to see 10K at the BC game to "get the message," we have bigger problems.

You're right. I should give him the benefit of the doubt.

I do think this is a big issue some people are overlooking. Attendance has always been bad, but it has plummeted this year. All those empty seats should make the decision easier.

Come on 10k that won't happen maybe 18-20k.

anomander said:
You're right. I should give him the benefit of the doubt. I do think this is a big issue some people are overlooking. Attendance has always been bad, but it has plummeted this year. All those empty seats should make the decision easier.

I'm not sure it's that much worse than last year. And it's hard to compare this year to past years due to the change in counting methods.

I'm not sure it's that much worse than last year. And it's hard to compare this year to past years due to the change in counting methods.
Per Syracuse.com before Pitt attendance was down 22% year on year to 32k game. Pitt I believe was below 30k.
I have read that SU now counts actual bodies through the turnstiles vs tickets sold/distributed.

Willy75 said:
Per Syracuse.com before Pitt attendance was down 22% year on year to 32k game. Pitt I believe was below 30k. I have read that SU now counts actual bodies through the turnstiles vs tickets sold/distributed.

Syr.com can't make that claim unless they're just trying to make things up.

Yes we do actual bodies now. So how can anyone do a mathematical comparison?

Syr.com can't make that claim unless they're just trying to make things up.

Yes we do actual bodies now. So how can anyone do a mathematical comparison?
Axe on 10/7; SU has sixth lowest attendance among P5 schools on an absolute basis. You obviously have a valid point on the comparative numbers; the reported 40k plus average for 2014 had a good dose of fiction.

Axe on 10/7; SU has sixth lowest attendance among P5 schools on an absolute basis. You obviously have a valid point on the comparative numbers; the reported 40k plus average for 2014 had a good dose of fiction.

How do the other schools calculate their numbers? Actual people there or tickets sold.

Willy75 said:

The eyeball test says its down this year, I just don't know by how much. And I don't know what axe means.

Per Syracuse.com before Pitt attendance was down 22% year on year to 32k game. Pitt I believe was below 30k.
I have read that SU now counts actual bodies through the turnstiles vs tickets sold/distributed.
I understand counting actual bodies but why did they make the switch.

CUSU said:
How do the other schools calculate their numbers? Actual people there or tickets sold.

I have no idea and I'm sure axe doesn't either.

cliftonparksufan said:
I understand counting actual bodies but why did they make the switch.

Coyle feels it's the right way to do it.

Willy75 said:
Article quotes CBS Sports which uses numbers reported to NCAA by schools.

What numbers are reported to NCAA? Bodies or tix distributed? I guess I could look at the SU website for a games announced attendance and then look at the NCAA website to see if it's the same or different.

True, but here's my issue. Matt Rhule will be the HC at South Carolina next year. I don't want to deal with the skipping stone BS.

I also realize that winning is more important than any of those concerns. I just want to see this program be successful and MAINTAIN that status.
Agree completely. We need to go the Tuberville/O'Leary/Mack Brown route. This should help stabilize the program for 8-10 years and bring the program a name that creates attention.

Willy75 said:
Article quotes CBS Sports which uses numbers reported to NCAA by schools.

Just checked last year. Numbers reported to the NCAA were exactly the same as announced attendance. So last year we reported tix distributed. So, CBS nor axe can't make any comparison unless every school reports tix distributed and not bodies, which I doubt happens.

I dont know how other schools or the NCAA do it, and I'm no etymologist, but I am fairly certain that the root word of "attendance" is "attend." I am pretty sure "attend" doesnt mean to purchase or distribute.

rrlbees said:
Just checked last year. Numbers reported to the NCAA were exactly the same as announced attendance. So last year we reported tix distributed. So, CBS nor axe can't make any comparison unless every school reports tix distributed and not bodies, which I doubt happens.

And using my own calculations with a no show WAG last year of 10% (low?) our attendance has decreased by about 14%, not 22%. It's probably even less than that as I can estimate how many no shoes for paid tix but don't know how many they distributed.

I dont know how other schools or the NCAA do it, and I'm no etymologist, but I am fairly certain that the root word of "attendance" is "attend." I am pretty sure "attend" doesnt mean to purchase or distribute.

Thanks for the English lesson.

The point is some schools don't use the actual attendance when reporting the number. SU as an example under Gross.

Last edited: