Hey Guys! Purdue fan back again! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hey Guys! Purdue fan back again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do admit i am not thrilled with the hire at such a crucial position. Also, when fans from other schools come here to warn us about a particular coach (Insert Sterling Gilbert) it usually plays out accordingly. The guy was demoted from OL coach to senior advisor on the support staff if that tells you anything. I have liked all of Fran’s hires so far but this one is a bit of a head scratcher.
Agreed. This was not the staff position to cheap out on at Syracuse. We have a history of pretty pathetic oline play.

You need to like your position coach though and the longstanding rumor was that guys left because of Dale and most hated him.

I don't think it was any surprise that the team improved their YPC to 4.4 yards this year just two years after having a 2.8 YPC. That is with having 8 different starting OL combinations and being without 3 of our best OL for spurts at a time due to injury.
Thanks for the input.
Wonder how much of the change in yds/rush was due to a focus on the run game instead of the passing game. Your team record surely doesn’t look better since getting rid of him despite those improved rushing numbers though.

Thanks for the input.
Wonder how much of the change in yds/rush was due to a focus on the run game instead of the passing game. Your team record surely doesn’t look better since getting rid of him despite those improved rushing numbers though.
I wouldn’t say that there was a focus on the rushing game this year more than last?

Purdue ran the ball more last year than this year but improved their YPC by .8 with a patchwork OL. That’s a credit to the new OL coach for sure.

You surely know that increasing your YPC doesn’t equal a better record, right?

It is kind of strange that he was an OL coach for a pass first HC and we seem to be going with a run first O next year. Doesn't seem like his strength fits with what we are planning.

It is kind of strange that he was an OL coach for a pass first HC and we seem to be going with a run first O next year. Doesn't seem like his strength fits with what we are planning.
I was thinking maybe coach Fb saw pass blocking as our lines biggest weakness and this helps remedy that.

Our lead back averaged 6.3 yards a carry and scored 8 TD's on just over 100 carries? I'd say that is impressive but okay
Your lead back had 60 less carries than the backup?

Last edited:
It seems Fran and staff have really been targeting defensive guys and playmakers such as WR RB, but I’m starting to get worried that the 2 most important things to address this offseason, quarterback and OL, have yet to be adequately addressed. Still have time though so I will be patient

It seems Fran and staff have really been targeting defensive guys and playmakers such as WR RB, but I’m starting to get worried that the 2 most important things to address this offseason, quarterback and OL, have yet to be adequately addressed. Still have time though so I will be patient
he's been here 10 days, come on

Welcome back Baba.

You might be right about Dale. There have been a few times over the years where Syracuse announced the hiring of an assistant coach and fans from the team the coach was coaching at immediately came to our board, sometimes in droves, to warn us of impending doom. And frankly, when this has happened, they have usually been right. Anyone remember the Sterlin Gilbert experience (for one)?

That said, weren’t you the Purdue fan who came on this board before the 2023 Syracuse-Purdue game and repeatedly extolled the virtues and talent level of the Purdue team at every position? You made that team sound like a major powerhouse. And here we are with the regular season complete and Purdue with a 4-8 record.

So no offense to you, but I am hoping your abilities to objectively assess the talent of your team match your abilities to objectively assess the abilities of your former coaches.

That would be awesome.

I am worried about his ability to teach effective run blocking.
Baba….. You just got “ Tomcatted” put your tail between your legs and slink home !

Heyyo BabyYoda or whatever your username is, y’all got any good zenith tv repairmen out there in Indiana?

Do you also stand on Route 90 in the snow on thanksgiving looking for Dan Mullen?

If the answer is no to either of these questions, please get off our board (respectively).

At this point we might as well email our concerns to ADJW and see if he slips something out there in a presser... or maybe fran will get wind and say something in the next call-in show.

I wouldn’t say that there was a focus on the rushing game this year more than last?

Purdue ran the ball more last year than this year but improved their YPC by .8 with a patchwork OL. That’s a credit to the new OL coach for sure.

You surely know that increasing your YPC doesn’t equal a better record, right?

Sure I know that one stat alone doesn't tell the picture. And that is my point.

So your run game improved this year from 1694 yds and 3.8 yds/carry to 2025 yds and 4.4 yds/carry in 2023.
And your "lead back" Mockobee actually went from 5.0 yds/carry to just 4.7 yds/carry in 2023. Your better rusher was Tyrone Tracy who didn't play much at all in 2022 so a change there obviously.

But your pass game went from 3900 yds passing and giving up 28 sacks to just 2026 yds passing and giving up 24 sacks on 583 attempts in 2022 to 2530 yds passing and giving up 24 sacks on 392 pass attempts in 2023. That is nearly the same amount of sacks with 50% less pass attempts.

Obviously QB plays etc plays a role here. Just stating that there are many factors involved to tell the story regarding your OL coaches production.

Last edited:

So your run game improved this year from 1694 yds and 3.8 yds/carry to 2025 yds and 4.4 yds/carry in 2023.
And your "lead back" Mockobee actually went from 5.0 yds/carry to just 4.7 yds/carry in 2023. Your better rusher was Tyrone Tracy who didn't play much at all in 2022 so a change there obviously.

But your pass game went from 3900 yds passing and giving up 28 sacks to just 2026 yds passing and giving up 24 sacks on 392 attempts in 2022 to 2530 yds passing and giving up 24 sacks on 583 pass attempts in 2023. That is nearly the same amount of sacks with 50% less pass attempts.

Obviously QB plays etc plays a role here. Just stating that there are many factors involved to tell the story regarding your OL coaches production.
Additionally your QB, Oconnel in 2022 rushed 43 times for -81 yds or -1.9 yds/carry. Your QB, Card in 2023 rushed 93 times for 203 yds or 2.2 yds/carry. So that is a very significant factor don't you think?

Additionally your QB, Oconnel in 2022 rushed 43 times for -81 yds or -1.9 yds/carry. Your QB, Card in 2023 rushed 93 times for 203 yds or 2.2 yds/carry. So that is a very significant factor don't you think?
Yes, that is significant. The reason that Card had to rush so much was because the pass protection broke down immediately on most plays. AOC was not a runner at all so if there was a guy coming he just went down. Tom Brady-esque.

Our starter at RB was Tracy this year. He was a converted WR.

now hes your starter. the guy had 50% less carries than the other guy. is he your lead back or your starter?

Can you go back and find any year Purdue had a rushing offense? Maybe 2011-2012 and 2014.

Brohm liked him enough to keep him for 6 yrs though and take him to UL with him.

OK if you say so but Mockobee had 50% more carries than Tracy.

Edit: Ahh I see jgeorge addressed this already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom