Hopkins just did us a favor | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins just did us a favor

Hopkins did us zero favors. This day along with the day Boeheim hangs it up will be the saddest in program history. We lost something irreplaceable. We lost the future. We lost our guy. Tough time for all this to go down. If the program wasn't in such turmoil it would be easy to grasp. This just throws more salt on the wound. Tough to believe Hop would just up and leave for a mediocre job when there is so much work to be done at Syracuse. The university and Boeheim need to say something.

Hopkins did us zero favors. This day along with the day Boeheim hangs it up will be the saddest in program history. We lost something irreplaceable. We lost the future. We lost our guy. Tough time for all this to go down. If the program wasn't in such turmoil it would be easy to grasp. This just throws more salt on the wound. Tough to believe Hop would just up and leave for a mediocre job when there is so much work to be done at Syracuse. The university and Boeheim need to say something.
I'll just say that I believe your version of what happened and what really happened are pretty far apart.

Wildhack has 3 options:
1. Stay with the plan and next season is last for JB. Then hire a new HC.
Ramification: 2018 recruiting is dead. Will get nothing. Nobody is signing up to play for a TBD coach. 2019 recruiting will be impacted too. Who is contacting these kids? Asst coaches who may not be there after the season if an outside candidate comes in?

2. Fire JB or convince him to step down now so a new HC can be hired to avoid a lame duck situation.
Pretty unlikely.

3. Give JB a 3 year contract extension and kick the can down the road.
Ramification: JB won't be a lame duck. He will be able to hire a new Asst. SU will be able to recruit the 2018 class. But will only defer the problem a couple of extra years.

I'll just say that I believe your version of what happened and what really happened are pretty far apart.

I obviously don't know what happened. The only thing that makes sense is Boeheim wants to keep coaching. But then he's saying he might retire after this season in a presser. Pretty annoying to deal with when the program is this position. I would hope Hop didn't jump ship. Not much clarity with Syracuse hoops right now.

Wow...it almost sounds like they are young people who have to make enormous mental and physical adjustments an an accelerated fashion. Why on earth should the results be variable!? It is the same thing that goes on with young players everywhere. There are always exceptions. We just lacked recently, the personnel to adiust for and absorb these variables. Kids learn, kids stall, sometimes the lightbulb just goes off.

Wildhack has 3 options:
Ramification: 2018 recruiting is dead. Will get nothing. Nobody is signing up to play for a TBD coach. 2019 recruiting will be impacted too. Who is contacting these kids? Asst coaches who may not be there after the season if an outside candidate comes in?

2. Fire JB or convince him to step down now so a new HC can be hired to avoid a lame duck situation.
Pretty unlikely.

Ramification: JB won't be a lame duck. He will be able to hire a new Asst. SU will be able to recruit the 2018 class. But will only defer the problem a couple of extra years.

This is exactly right. We can't extend JB long enough to have a credible successor in the staff. So we sort of have to extend him and probably should avoid announcing when JB will be stepping down, as that will kill recruiting because nobody wants to play for TBD.

That's not really fair. Mike has been waiting of the job patiently for a decade. He left because it became obvious to him that he's not taking over next year without a fight, and he probably doesn't want to take on JB in the media and seem disloyal.

I obviously don't know what happened. The only thing that makes sense is Boeheim wants to keep coaching. But then he's saying he might retire after this season in a presser. Pretty annoying to deal with when the program is this position. I would hope Hop didn't jump ship. Not much clarity with Syracuse hoops right now.

Whose fault is that?

This is exactly right. We can't extend JB long enough to have a credible successor in the staff. So we sort of have to extend him and probably should avoid announcing when JB will be stepping down, as that will kill recruiting because nobody wants to play for TBD.

Which is why we might as well bite the bullet and start the search for the new head coach. Next year is going to blow.

Wildhack has 3 options:

Pretty unlikely.

I'll take door number 2

IMO we don't develop kids

Lydon didn't take a step up from his Feb/March of last year.
Howard didn't take a step forward this year and barely got PT.
Roberson and Coleman regressed vs last year.

Cooney and Joseph regressed.
Roberson and Coleman didn't take the JR year step up we needed from them.
Mike G became a great player.

Rak took a huge step up
Cooney regressed

Grant improved
Rak did not get any better

Overall IMO there is more regression than improvement.
Coleman had the worst knees on earth, he was told he would never play again but JB is very loyal and gave him a shot ... but his body didn't have it. You can't coach a new pair of knees on the guy.

Roberson has some issue with focus. Some guys can't be coached. Roberson didn't get worse - he was inconsistent all the time.

Howard makes bad mistakes that lead to turnovers. Not every player is a gem.

Cooney was a defensive wizard according to some on this board. I do think his defense improved greatly. He did not improve in critical areas of his offense, like driving to the hoop, so I will give you that.

Lydon was forced to play two positions this year and really did a great job at center considering the poor job our guards were doing. I'm happy with his double doubles but yeah, he could score more. Maybe if he played as a forward all year?

Is that some form of old English? :)
Nope. Just the good ole English language that some of us have better command of and a wider range of than others.

See definition below when used as a verb and not an adjective.

queer
verb
  1. 1.
    spoil or ruin (an agreement, event, or situation).
    "Reg didn't want someone meddling and queering the deal at the last minute"

IMO we don't develop kids

Lydon didn't take a step up from his Feb/March of last year.
Howard didn't take a step forward this year and barely got PT.
Roberson and Coleman regressed vs last year.

Cooney and Joseph regressed.
Roberson and Coleman didn't take the JR year step up we needed from them.
Mike G became a great player.

Rak took a huge step up
Cooney regressed

Grant improved
Rak did not get any better

Overall IMO there is more regression than improvement.

So Cooney got worse from his So to Jr to Sr seasons? Come on.

So Cooney got worse from his So to Jr to Sr seasons? Come on.

Agreed. Cooney clearly improved, the issue for him was that he was way behind to start and a vast improvement got him to serviceable. I wouldn't call him a development failure, more a question on recruiting assessment.

It has to be door #2 or you're always going to be stuck with a lame duck recruiting year. There is no way around it.

So they've given him and extension, JB has to announce his retirement at some point after a November signing day but before the contract expires.

Again, I think it's still the same roadmap, after next season.

i really really hope he succeeds out there ---if he stayed and continued to have issues the fan base would have been calling for his head. i will follow washington closely and root for hopkins

i not thrilled at jb's extension. i don't see anything getting better. i would rather get the new (non su asst,)guy in here and start the process (rebuilding and recruiting)now. just my take.

Agreed. Cooney clearly improved, the issue for him was that he was way behind to start and a vast improvement got him to serviceable. I wouldn't call him a development failure, more a question on recruiting assessment.

He improved on finishing drives to the basket from 0.0% to 20%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom