Hopkins n USC? | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins n USC?

44PRIDE

All Conference
Mcdunnough just said that SU sources have said that if Hop is offered, he's gone...

Not surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't blame him, Boeheim could be here another 5 years. that is a long time to wait for your promotion.

it's old news. Hop wants to be a head coach.

USC seems like a tough place to coach and win at consistently.

I was wondering if the USC talk is just a way to prepare the fan base mentally for JB retiring. I admit that's pretty conspiracy theorizing. :)

Can't blame him, Boeheim could be here another 5 years. that is a long time to wait for your promotion.

Five more years of the zone?

Of course hop wants to be HC. But he isn't just getting offers from St. Bonnaventure any more. He is getting real offers from big time schools. TGD and Boeheim have some tough decisions to make if they want Hop to stay here.

USC seems like a tough place to coach and win at consistently.

Not much different from a college player coming out early. A few more years of a big yearly salary, over the long haul, is a significant amount of money. And, even if he fails at USC, it's not as if that has to be his last chance. In terms of quality of life, LA trounces Syracuse. He's got a chance to compete in a conference that won't be as tough as the new ACC. He's shown that he can recruit. Making it to the top 3 teams in the Pac is going to be much easier than doing the same in the ACC. And he won't feel compelled to run a JB-like system.

Not much different from a college player coming out early. A few more years of a big yearly salary, over the long haul, is a significant amount of money. And, even if he fails at USC, it's not as if that has to be his last chance. In terms of quality of life, LA trounces Syracuse. He's got a chance to compete in a conference that won't be as tough as the new ACC. He's shown that he can recruit. Making it to the top 3 teams in the Pac is going to be much easier than doing the same in the ACC. And he won't feel compelled to run a JB-like system.

I agree with your first points. The money and opportunity are hard to pass up...if he's still got a few years of waiting here.

I don't agree about the "quality of life" thing at all. That really depends.

Five more years of the zone?

it's bad enough I am going to lose an hour of sleep tonight,but giving me nightmares is taking it too far

dream job for Hop great money gets to go home he is and always has been a west coaster. If offered he is gone.

The talk is that even if he was offered, if JB sticks around a few more years, Hop would returning once JB retires. All speculation of course...

The talk is that even if he was offered, if JB sticks around a few more years, Hop would returning once JB retires. All speculation of course...

But would you want Hopkins back if he were to leave for USC and win, say, 45 games in three seasons?

But would you want Hopkins back if he were to leave for USC and win, say, 45 games in three seasons?

That's the risk. What if he isn't successful. I think Boeheim is coaching 3 more years at the least. If he goes to USC and has at least one good season in 3 I think he gets the Cuse job.

Josh Pastner from Memphis is the top contender for the USC job IMO. He is a West Coast guy, was a walkon at Arizona knows the Pac-12, and can recruit and probably wants to get out of Memphis while he can.

If Hop had been smart, he would have jumped years ago and been millions of $$ the richer. Instead he stayed loyal, continuing to fold JB's diapers on the side, all for the cause. When JB steps down after he gets his 1,069th win, Hop can skip back to SU and the school will embrace him because of all the added experience he has picked up.

Good point. I would be ok with Hop taking the job, then in 2-5 years or whenever Boeheim retires, call him back. Im pretty sure he would leave USC in a heartbeat to come back to Cuse. It would be like what Lane Kiffin did to Tennessee a few years back. It would be a audition to the head coaching job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom