Hopkins n USC? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins n USC?

Good point. I would be ok with Hop taking the job, then in 2-5 years or whenever Boeheim retires, call him back. Im pretty sure he would leave USC in a heartbeat to come back to Cuse. It would be like what Lane Kiffin did to Tennessee a few years back. It would be a audition to the head coaching job.

He can cut his teeth and make his rookie mistakes on another watch... It's a win-win...

Good point. I would be ok with Hop taking the job, then in 2-5 years or whenever Boeheim retires, call him back. Im pretty sure he would leave USC in a heartbeat to come back to Cuse. It would be like what Lane Kiffin did to Tennessee a few years back. It would be a audition to the head coaching job.

That's why I don't think it would be that bad if he left. If he leaves and does well, great - he can probably be brought back to Cuse without much of a fight when Boeheim retires. If he struggles, Gross (probably) won't feel so compelled to bring him back just to satisfy the fanbase.

Look at Johnny Dawkins, he was the Associate Head Coach at Duke, and from everything we have heard he would have been the choice to replace Coach K when he retired, but Dawkins decided to take the Stanford job and become a head coach. Dawkins has been at Stanford for 5 years and hasn't made the NCAA Tournament 1 TIME. Now he won't likely get the Duke job when Coach K retires and he may get fired from Stanford this year or if not he will have 1 more chance to save his job. Mike Hopkins would be STUPID to leave Syracuse unless he wants to be a head coach and move on his own. He has a golden ticket to one of the top 10 jobs in America and is going to move 3000 miles West to a mediocre job at a school that cares about Football and he will be busting his a$$ to compete with UCLA. If Hopkins wants the job he will get it I doubt he takes it though because if he goes and doesn't succeed Dr. Gross doesn't have to hire him like his current contract dictates.

Happy for him, he's certainly deserving - bad news for us. Hop is a huge difference maker with not only recruits but the players. Only wishing Mike, Trish the best but can't help but feel sad if he does leave us. Tough timing for SU - JB and Mike having any uncertainty about the head coaching job considering the transition to the ACC. I trust all love SU and each will do the best for the program keeping in mind their own futures with the exciting changes ahead.

Hope none of this is a distraction to our game Thursday too.

Would be happy for Mike if this is what he wants. SU will be fine we are an elite job and can pretty much select any coach we want.

USC will build in a buyout clause. Hop won't be able to afford to leave. USC won't want him running back to SU when JB retires. If he leaves, he's likely gone for good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of people here assuming that Hop would come right back to SU when Jim retires. What if he makes the tourney 3 straight seasons and wants to stay there? He's a west coast guy and might want to build his own legacy and not follow a legend.

Lots of people here assuming that Hop would come right back to SU when Jim retires. What if he makes the tourney 3 straight seasons and wants to stay there? He's a west coast guy and might want to build his own legacy and not follow a legend.

Absolutely... and as was said a few posts earlier, as much as we all want Hop to follow JB, its not as if we couldn't get a great coach with a national search... Hop's gotta do what's best for him and his family... 17 years, or whatever, is a long time as a assistant...

If Hop had been smart, he would have jumped years ago and been millions of $$ the richer. Instead he stayed loyal, continuing to fold JB's diapers on the side, all for the cause. When JB steps down after he gets his 1,069th win, Hop can skip back to SU and the school will embrace him because of all the added experience he has picked up.
That's an incredibly cynical view. Using your values, JB would have been millions of $$ richer if he had left for the NBA years ago, instead of staying loyal to his alma mater.
Hopefully, Hop is using his time at SU to absorb a little bit about coaching from a Hall of Fame HC, and not just "folding JB's diapers" on the side. IMO, failing at a bad coaching gig or bad fit (like Minny) would do more harm than good to Hop's coaching resume (look at Louis Orr's struggles). USC is a different situation, and I don't think anyone could blame Hop if he left for the Trojan's job.

so is there new scuttlebutt this week of Hop taking the USC job?

Mcdunnough just said that SU sources have said that if Hop is offered, he's gone...

I would think Hop's chances of getting a USC offer aren't good. With the UCLA job open now, both of those schools will be in hot competition to land big names (think UW's Romar for UCLA) and, considering how Howland flamed out at UCLA, USC might not be thinking too kindly about bringing in an east coast guy, particularly someone with no head coaching experience and a guy who's been tutored by a zone zealot. That's not the west coast way--the Pac 12 is a M2M league all the way, with zone played only as a changeup. The fact that Hop was born in L.A. and lived for a while in San Mateo doesn't make him a west coast guy anymore. The USC people will have to be convinced he could recruit L.A., Vegas and get the occasional big star from NoCal and the northwest. With Hop that might be too long a shot to take.

If offered, is Hop gone? Well, duh, of course he is.

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS ALL THIS TALK COMING FROM?

it sounds to me as if Pastner could be announced at any moment.

I believe that Hopkins staying is critical to the next 5-10 years of our program. The continuity he provides has allow our recruiting to hit all time highs on the eve of a HOF coach retiring. Do you realize how significant that is? He's important enough in this transitional period (to include possible sanctions), that I'd start paying him a HC like salary starting next year if he stays.

That's an incredibly cynical view. Using your values, JB would have been millions of $$ richer if he had left for the NBA years ago, instead of staying loyal to his alma mater.
Hopefully, Hop is using his time at SU to absorb a little bit about coaching from a Hall of Fame HC, and not just "folding JB's diapers" on the side. IMO, failing at a bad coaching gig or bad fit (like Minny) would do more harm than good to Hop's coaching resume (look at Louis Orr's struggles). USC is a different situation, and I don't think anyone could blame Hop if he left for the Trojan's job.

It is a cynical view, I'll give you that, but true. JB would have made much more $$ in the NBA and HOP would have made more if he had left SU sooner. We are all happy that JB made his decision not based on $$. He loves the City and the school. My concern - with not a lick of inside confirmation - is that HOP got strung along. JB, brilliant manager that he is, did what is best for SU and HOP was taken for a ride. Thus my cynicism. If I am wrong - apologies to JB.

so is there new scuttlebutt this week of Hop taking the USC job?
Exactly.
I'm wondering the same thing. What's changed in the last 24 hrs to resurrect this thread?
Or are folks simply bored and need something else to speculate about... other than will Oladipo take MCW or Dirty? :rolleyes:

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS ALL THIS TALK COMING FROM?

it sounds to me as if Pastner could be announced at any moment.

That dream came and went... :bang:

So, USC was interviewing Dixon and other "ESTABLISHED" head coaches for their head coaching position. Isn't that a huge jump for Hop? He hasn't coached a game in his life. Did I miss something?

Dixon is out of it having signed a new 10 year extension at Pitt. Pastner just announced that he is not a candidate. And last night Doug Gottlieb on his CBSSN cable show said he thinks USC will hire Mike Hopkins, though he cited no source for believing that.

I agree with your first points. The money and opportunity are hard to pass up...if he's still got a few years of waiting here.

I don't agree about the "quality of life" thing at all. That really depends.

As a resident of Malibu and having spent 4 years in Syracuse I can unequivocally say the quality of life, at least for me, is much better than it was in Syracuse. I wouldn't trade my college years for anything at SU, but no snow (unless I go to Mammoth or Big Bear) and the ability to surf and golf year-round is more than enough reason to choose to live where I do.

While I understand everyone is different, to me its tough to imagine that LA wouldnt be a very attractive option to a guy like Hopkins who would have a major city and all of its amenities at his disposal (especially considering what he would be paid). I hope he stays at SU and succeeds JB, but I would think it cant be a shock if he does leave, if offered.

USC seems like a tough place to coach and win at consistently.

A much better gig than St. Bonnie, or Siena, or Richmond. If Hop gets USC good for him. I hope he does great. (Except when they play Syracuse.)

Not a fan. Hop recruited the kids at SU for our system and they came for him as well.

Going to USC it's going to take a rebuilding process and recruiting process as opposed to being ready from day 1 to take over our program.

Forget this west coast guy stuff, he was a freshman at SU in 1988, when Guns and Roses ruled the earth and The Rolling Stones had not reunited.

And, SU ain't paying what the Brad Stevens type would warrant.

This situation is certainly a pickle.

Wonder if one of the other SU assistants may be considered for the opening at UB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom