Hopkins to St John's? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins to St John's?

You're correct in saying I assumed disrespect. I'm probably a little annoyed he hasn't been shown more love publicly. Hope all things good are going on behind closed doors. The first order of businesses for the new AD should be to reaffirm Hop's HCIW title.

2 questions; Is it safe to assume that it is not written into his contract that he will be next HC (wouldn't that have been said by now)? What would the Chancellor not be able to say because of the appeal that pertains to Hop?
I'm not the first person to say it, but replacing JB with a man who's been with the program so long might not be the public message one wants to send during the pendency of an NCAA appeal and/or lawsuit. I'd personally have no problem with it, and I feel pretty confident that there's a continuity message coded into communications with recruits--but I can easily see the appeal of a strategy whereunder we don't openly anoint Hop three years ahead of time.

I don't know what Hop's contract says, nor do I know whether there's a written promise out there (though I doubt it). Again, as others around here have already said multiple times, there's a process. The new chancellor has made some bold moves and statements since the sanctions were announced, and he's got to acquire a new AD in the very near future. That AD probably needs to be on board, and involved, before anyone makes a decision about the next men's basketball head coach. I don't see the net upside (sorry, SWC) of the school presenting the new AD with a fait accompli on that front.

IMO STJ isn't going to hire an asst. coach with no HC experience. The BE is a high caliber non P5 league and STJ will pay (Lavin was getting $2M) to get someone with HC experience. Though I'm not impressed with the names being mentioned -- both Hurleys, Massiello, Cluess, Mullin (big name who has no coaching experience of any kind).

Since the 'Hop to?' rumors have been around for so long, it might be fun to put together a list of schools that we have linked Hop with over the years. Betcha that some schools have popped up more than once due to coaching turnover.

I'm not gonna do it myself of course (too busy prepping for our SU fantasy draft on Wednesday), but I'd read it if someone else took the time and researched it...

IMO STJ isn't going to hire an asst. coach with no HC experience. The BE is a high caliber non P5 league and STJ will pay (Lavin was getting $2M) to get someone with HC experience. Though I'm not impressed with the names being mentioned -- both Hurleys, Massiello, Cluess, Mullin (big name who has no coaching experience of any kind).
Did Hoiberg coach anywhere before going back to his,alma mater?

Since the 'Hop to?' rumors have been around for so long, it might be fun to put together a list of schools that we have linked Hop with over the years. Betcha that some schools have popped up more than once due to coaching turnover.

I'm not gonna do it myself of course (too busy prepping for our SU fantasy draft on Wednesday), but I'd read it if someone else took the time and researched it...

Busy prepping for the draft? That's more than I had planned to do - but I guess that's reflected in last year's standings :)

Busy prepping for the draft? That's more than I had planned to do - but I guess that's reflected in last year's standings :)
Unless its an auction draft its totally random on where you end up on the snake.
Is your league a 5 by 5? Ws or QS? You will do fine their is so much pitching in MLB now that unless you get top 5 SP the depth between 10-30 is very slim and you can get build depth in pitching late and stream pitching during the season. Concentrate on getting the best position player lineup you can get.

St. John's isn't a great gig. Yeah, they're in NYC and play at MSG, so it should be a nice job. But I just don't think it's worth jumping ship over. Lavin was much more of a proven coach than Hop is and he hardly did anything there. Hop is a great recruiter and the head coaching experience would be nice, but the risk-reward is a hard sell.

Of course, this is ignoring money considerations.

Cost of living is much higher in metro NYC than in CNY. Not just real estate (comparable housing is three or four times more expensive), but also things like private schools, transportation, etc. Folks in CNY don't realize how good they have it when it comes to cost-of-living.

Last edited:
In 21st century NCAA tournament wins for teams from the state of New York.
Syracuse - 24
Siena- 3
Cornell-2
St. John's- 1

The St. John's job is nothing special but fool's gold they have stunk since 2001. I would hope Hopkins want a better job.

If they were higher on that list they likely wouldn't be in the market for a new coach.

The real question is what is the opportunity with St. John's...... conference affiliation, recruiting market, facilities, alumni, fan support, resources.

St. John's has good bones, it also has some serious warts. It isn't a top tier job, but you could do a lot lot worse, like Siena or Cornell for instance where IMO, there isn't really a lot of upside over what they are presently accomplishing.

If Lavin couldn't cut it at the Johns then Hopkins no chance. I am apprehensive of Hopkins taking over for Boeheim.

The alums will love it. I don't know if it's good for the program, though. No coaching experience; and, 15 years since Mullin last played in the NBA, does his name have any cachet with 18-year-olds?
They are hoping for Fred Hoiberg 2.0 but I don't think this hire makes sense. How can Mullin recruit? Hoiberg turned Iowa State into transfer center and took risky talented kids and now has built his cache up that he can get some elite recruits. I don't know Mullin will do it.

98% of sports opinion writers are useless.

Mullin winning or losing has nothing to do with those two programs.
Obviously no connection as to on-court success. He's just saying that a St. John's screw up will take the spotlight off of the misfortunes of the two NJ teams. And he thinks, reasonably, that the Mullins hire is not a good one.

Does he really believe because the kids of today didn't see Mullin play in person they won't know who he is? Maybe those kids watch a little NBA and have heard the name once or twice? That's just ridiculous to me. Mullin could easily hire an assistant with great recruiting contacts on the east coast and clean up in the city. "Wait, this coach has NBA contacts throughout the league and I'd be able to play in NYC? Where do I sign up?"

Terrible.

St Johns might not be a good job but that is one job I wouldn't want Hop to get. USC fine. St Johns no thanks. I do not want to go toe to toe with Hop on the recruiting trail. Glad St Johns is stupid and hiring Mullin