Hopkins to St John's? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins to St John's?

Last edited:
Obviously no connection as to on-court success. He's just saying that a St. John's screw up will take the spotlight off of the misfortunes of the two NJ teams. And he thinks, reasonably, that the Mullins hire is not a good one.
These 3 programs frequently recruit the same area players -- with none of them getting the better ones. Mullin may or may not work out. He has some name recognition if not with 17 year olds then with the older coaches running AAU programs which may help SJU some with local and NE recruiting. IMO his hire does not immediately make SJU a better destination than it has been. But that program has enough positives that it should be getting better recruits than they have been getting. They should be reasonably close to Nova and GTown in terms of talent and success and they are not. Maybe Mullin helps some.

I think Mullin has a great, infectious personality that's perfect for NYC. Kids will relate to him and kid's parents will be happy to tell them about the dream team days of basketball.

These 3 programs frequently recruit the same area players -- with none of them getting the better ones. Mullin may or may not work out. He has some name recognition if not with 17 year olds then with the older coaches running AAU programs which may help SJU some with local and NE recruiting. IMO his hire does not immediately make SJU a better destination than it has been. But that program has enough positives that it should be getting better recruits than they have been getting. They should be reasonably close to Nova and GTown in terms of talent and success and they are not. Maybe Mullin helps some.

I keep thinking about guys like BJ's dad. Think they won't be thrilled to have their sons playing for the biggest name out of NYC when they were growing up? I think it's a help.