House of the Dragon | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

House of the Dragon

Finally caught up. Great episode #8. Aemon looked really cool -- I'm sure he's going to be a problem, with that giant dragon.

Although I'm not familiar with the book, it isn't difficult to project where this is going, and how it will set wheels in motion that will ultimately lead to the downfall of House Targaryen.

The ending was superb. Music was great throughout the episode, building tension, as well.

Best episode of the season. But really, most of the others arent very good. Looking forward to the finale.

I didn’t like that ending. The wrong people were affected. Didn’t make any sense.

The rest of the episode was stellar, though.

I didn’t like that ending. The wrong people were affected. Didn’t make any sense.

Yeah, I thought about that too. But such is life in that world I suppose. Not that different from reality actually.

Thats true to the Targaryen world and Westeros though. They aren’t sweating the peasants and rabble of Flea Bottom

Thats true to the Targaryen world and Westeros though. They aren’t sweating the peasants and rabble of Flea Bottom
She seemed to be the one character who was rooted completely in principle.

I wonder if anyone has made the correlation to Daenrys? In that the strong female characters who think they have a legitimate claim to the throne just eventually go bitchcakes nuts when it’s inevitable that they aren’t going to get what they want.

I‘ll reiterate my recommendation for the NPR Episode Recaps. They’re insightful and really sarcastic. Lots of stuff I miss, big stuff and small. They make me want to re-watch to pick up on it all. I’m probably too focused on the beauty of the dialog, the direction and production.

Fantastic first season. I dont think it could have been executed better as a set up

This episode and the last few minutes of the previous one were the worst of the season.

This episode… the direction was heavy handed, obvious, and clumsy.

This episode and the last few minutes of the previous one were the worst of the season.

This episode… the direction was heavy handed, obvious, and clumsy.
Weren’t you a huge defender of GoT season 8 while it was almost universally considered a disappointment?

This show is not as action oriented as GoT.

It's also different because we know the end of the story, we just don't know the events leading up to the end. And also because it's told from the viewpoint of a main character, that presumably watchers are rooting for -- even though we know she's doomed.

GoT was different. I think most people started out actively rooting for the Starks, then the story expanded [like the books] to bring in different points of view from other houses, and people diverged in terms of who they were rooting for from there. But in HoD, pretty much we're getting one narrative from Rhaenera [sp].

And this season was designed to be a slow burn. It is much more about the political jousting / machinations than pure action. So I can see why some people might feel like it is too slow, but I've enjoyed the story from season 1. I'm guessing that after the events leading to the final scene, season 2 is going to be a LOT more action oriented.

BTW, could have seen this coming to a head with Aemon / his gigantic dragon. Daemon's point about 13 to 3 was a massive jinx.

Early in the season, it felt to me like HBO was just trying to restart the GoT hype but I definitely liked how the season and characters developed.
Looking forward to next season’s dragon war.
And Aemond is a d$ck.

I did expect there to be a little more action in the finale but this season overall was really good.

Massive dragon.

I think it would have worked better if the miscarriage scene was the climax at the end rather than the death by dragon scene. That was by far the most intense and moving point in the episode, especially since it bookends the season with the horrific struggles of pregnancy that the mother and daughter of the same family go through. Hard to keep the intensity building after that scene. Wanted more of a direct confrontation with Alicent and Raynerah too.

This may seem insensitive but there were so many damn kids running around, aging between episodes, and getting hurt or killed, with names and parents I can't keep strait, that having one die be the climax felt a little underwhelming. I legitimately did not even know the kids name until someone I watched it with reminded me. The dragon chase scene was perfectly executed though.

I think it would have worked better if the miscarriage scene was the climax at the end rather than the death by dragon scene. That was by far the most intense and moving point in the episode, especially since it bookends the season with the horrific struggles of pregnancy that the mother and daughter of the same family go through. Hard to keep the intensity building after that scene. Wanted more of a direct confrontation with Alicent and Raynerah too.

This may seem insensitive but there were so many damn kids running around, aging between episodes, and getting hurt or killed, with names and parents I can't keep strait, that having one die be the climax felt a little underwhelming. I legitimately did not even know the kids name until someone I watched it with reminded me. The dragon chase scene was perfectly executed though.
I thought the theme of tying the violence of primitive- (or any, actually) era childbirth was interesting. But, i feel like it's overdone already in season one. And this most recent thing was just extraordinarily heavyhanded and cheap. Not sure about how the sequence would have been helped by putting it at the end. It might have meant something different/more? Like, an 'opportunity' lost, to replace what was just lost? Different significance, even if you think about it in hindsight.

So, yeah, i was a defender of the last bits of GoT, because so much of the kvetching was 1) without recognizing the constraints of production and the context of what needed to be done; 2) without recognizing that there were still so many absolutely incredible episodes/scenes/moments—that were still head and shoulders above anything ever done in film or tv before.

I have loved every bit of House of the Dragon, up until the dragon crashed through the hall floor and killed 200 'commoners' who were only there because they were herded to illegitimately legitimize the coronation. For a character who has been consistently on the side of principle, that seemed like a wildly out of character move. Squash the poor folk and just bark at the insurrectionist leaders? Nope. Not good.

And then that led directly into the finale, where everything was just so... not genius. From the camera moves, and the actor movements, to the actual storyline and scenes. Heavyhanded is the word that keeps coming up for me. Obvious is the other. Things were just telegraphed in a way that i haven't seen before. I kept wondering, in real-time, who the director of this episode was. Like, it was someone who we hadn't seen before, and who was doing a very substandard job of it. Just as an example, near the end. Was there anyone who didn't know that one of those kids wasn't coming home? Blame the writing at the front—as it was just bitchcakes stupid to send a 12-year old to a castle/house you don't know you control, when it's obvious that the other faction—your opponent—also needs that house. Why would you do that? Even if you say, Oh, he'll be on dragonback—he's safe. Um, nope—he's gotta get off the dragon to make his appeal and pass your note. And then they've got your dragon, too. That didn't happen, but jeezus, if you're considering that plan, wouldn't that be something you'd consider?

I'll have to re-watch to remember the other stuff, but much of it was more nuanced. I'm particularly into the direction and production in addition to the dialogue. The direction just seemed less 'poetic' and lyrical. It was more hamfisted. Again—just not genius and perfect as we're accustomed to seeing.

Yeah, like DoctahLexus—i have trouble with the names. I don't remember any of them except Corlys and Viserys... It's kinda funny, the naming violates the most basic principles of screenwriting. When you write a movie or tv show, you're supposed to avoid character names with even the same first letter. To help the viewer differentiate and remember. With HoD, we've got multiples of the same name and variations on others. Plus we're supposed to 'pre-remember' how they all relate to characters we've seen 10 years ago. It's an adventure. The 'trick' GoT used to employ—and also because the cast was SOOO HUGE—was they would almost invariably have one character say the name of the other in each new scene. I don't think they're doing that here.

I thought the theme of tying the violence of primitive- (or any, actually) era childbirth was interesting. But, i feel like it's overdone already in season one. And this most recent thing was just extraordinarily heavyhanded and cheap. Not sure about how the sequence would have been helped by putting it at the end. It might have meant something different/more? Like, an 'opportunity' lost, to replace what was just lost? Different significance, even if you think about it in hindsight.

So, yeah, i was a defender of the last bits of GoT, because so much of the kvetching was 1) without recognizing the constraints of production and the context of what needed to be done; 2) without recognizing that there were still so many absolutely incredible episodes/scenes/moments—that were still head and shoulders above anything ever done in film or tv before.

I have loved every bit of House of the Dragon, up until the dragon crashed through the hall floor and killed 200 'commoners' who were only there because they were herded to illegitimately legitimize the coronation. For a character who has been consistently on the side of principle, that seemed like a wildly out of character move. Squash the poor folk and just bark at the insurrectionist leaders? Nope. Not good.

And then that led directly into the finale, where everything was just so... not genius. From the camera moves, and the actor movements, to the actual storyline and scenes. Heavyhanded is the word that keeps coming up for me. Obvious is the other. Things were just telegraphed in a way that i haven't seen before. I kept wondering, in real-time, who the director of this episode was. Like, it was someone who we hadn't seen before, and who was doing a very substandard job of it. Just as an example, near the end. Was there anyone who didn't know that one of those kids wasn't coming home? Blame the writing at the front—as it was just bitchcakes stupid to send a 12-year old to a castle/house you don't know you control, when it's obvious that the other faction—your opponent—also needs that house. Why would you do that? Even if you say, Oh, he'll be on dragonback—he's safe. Um, nope—he's gotta get off the dragon to make his appeal and pass your note. And then they've got your dragon, too. That didn't happen, but jeezus, if you're considering that plan, wouldn't that be something you'd consider?

I'll have to re-watch to remember the other stuff, but much of it was more nuanced. I'm particularly into the direction and production in addition to the dialogue. The direction just seemed less 'poetic' and lyrical. It was more hamfisted. Again—just not genius and perfect as we're accustomed to seeing.

Yeah, like DoctahLexus—i have trouble with the names. I don't remember any of them except Corlys and Viserys... It's kinda funny, the naming violates the most basic principles of screenwriting. When you write a movie or tv show, you're supposed to avoid character names with even the same first letter. To help the viewer differentiate and remember. With HoD, we've got multiples of the same name and variations on others. Plus we're supposed to 'pre-remember' how they all relate to characters we've seen 10 years ago. It's an adventure. The 'trick' GoT used to employ—and also because the cast was SOOO HUGE—was they would almost invariably have one character say the name of the other in each new scene. I don't think they're doing that here.

If you were on board with season 8, and presumably Daenerys’ sudden turn to murdering thousands of innocent people because… Cersei killed her friend?… does that seem to be at odds with taking issue with Rhaenys accidentally killing some people while escaping for her life?

As for the birth scene, I thought it was useful, especially compared to the two other birth scenes, because it showed that Rhaenyra would go to extraordinary measures to survive and protect her claim to the throne and family (she dies, they all die). She was going to die if she didn’t reach in and yank the baby out, which is probably a 12/10 on the physical pain scale and a 100/10 on the emotional pain scale. It was a powerful and purposeful scene, from my perspective.

I don’t think it was reckless to send Rhaenyra’s heirs to secure alliances. Rhaenyra couldn’t feasibly go and Daemon is a jerk who nobody really likes. I don’t know who else they’d send. She sent Luke to what was supposed to be the most solid alliance of the 3 families they went to. Did we have a good idea one of them would die or face some kind of altercation? Of course. That’s just normal foreshadowing, imo.

I haven’t had trouble with the names since episode 3 but I see how they can get confusing. The age-ups were not confusing, though. They let us know they were coming and it seemed easy enough to prepare for.

Last edited:

Yeah, to question Rhaenys while Dany did literally something 100x worse in S8 that was rightfully trashed by the audience... Don't really get that.

If you were on board with season 8, and presumably Daenerys’ sudden turn to murdering thousands of innocent people because… Cersei killed her friend?… does that seem to be at odds with taking issue with Rhaenys accidentally killing some people while escaping for her life?

As for the birth scene, I thought it was useful, especially compared to the two other birth scenes, because it showed that Rhaenyra would go to extraordinary measures to survive and protect her claim to the throne and family (she dies, they all die). She was going to die if she didn’t reach in and yank the baby out, which is probably a 12/10 on the physical pain scale and a 100/10 on the emotional pain scale. It was a powerful and purposeful scene, from my perspective.

I don’t think it was reckless to send Rhaenyra’s heirs to secure alliances. Rhaenyra couldn’t feasibly go and Daemon is jerk who nobody really likes. I don’t know who else they’d send. She sent Luke to what was supposed to be the most solid alliance of the 3 families they went to. Did we have a good idea one of them would die or face some kind of altercation? Of course. That’s just normal foreshadowing, imo.

I haven’t had trouble with the names since episode 3 but I see how they can get confusing. The age-ups were not confusing, though. They let us know they were coming and it seemed easy enough to prepare for.

Yeah, to question Rhaenys while Dany did literally something 100x worse in S8 that was rightfully trashed by the audience... Don't really get that.
In terms of storybuilding, Dany had seasons of buildup toward one eventual and inevitable result. Then it was all snatched away from her, and then add some other personal losses. Rhaenys lost the kingdom 30 years earlier and was resigned to that. She didn’t have to erupt the floor at that moment. She didn’t disrupt the coronation—that still happened. All she did was kill Innocents that she was just among, seconds earlier. She slipped away and managed to reach her dragon pretty easily. Could have escaped just as easily, from an empty room.

Either way—I don’t ‘excuse’ what Dany did. I just don’t like the reliance on the ‘woman scorned‘ theme. Do it once, and you can write it off as someone literally losing her mind. But Rhaenys didn’t go bonkers. She was the most reasonable and rational person in any room both before and after that homicidal drama. That just doesn’t add up.

In terms of storybuilding, Dany had seasons of buildup toward one eventual and inevitable result. Then it was all snatched away from her, and then add some other personal losses. Rhaenys lost the kingdom 30 years earlier and was resigned to that. She didn’t have to erupt the floor at that moment. She didn’t disrupt the coronation—that still happened. All she did was kill Innocents that she was just among, seconds earlier. She slipped away and managed to reach her dragon pretty easily. Could have escaped just as easily, from an empty room.

Either way—I don’t ‘excuse’ what Dany did. I just don’t like the reliance on the ‘woman scorned‘ theme. Do it once, and you can write it off as someone literally losing her mind. But Rhaenys didn’t go bonkers. She was the most reasonable and rational person in any room both before and after that homicidal drama. That just doesn’t add up.

It makes perfect sense. She'd cut a deal to betroth BOTH ofher daughters to the crown, and this coup d'etat upended that apple cart. Of course she'd be against it.

And for the record, I think episode 10 made it ambiguous about where her allegiances reside.

Seemed ostentatious in terms of being vague

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom