House of the Dragon | Syracusefan.com

House of the Dragon

after so many i know who were not happy with the first one do i really want to jump on a prequel series.

after so many i know who were not happy with the first one do i really want to jump on a prequel series.
This one should follow the source material (for the most part) all the way through because this story is “complete.” GoT went beyond what GRRM had (has!) written and that is where a lot of the criticism came. Therefore, I suspect it will likely be a lot better!

That. Was. Fanfriggintastic! Very solid.
Just read it was the highest ranked cable new show in history, or at least HBO’s history. Can see why, makes sense.

(careful this review gives away some plot lines of future episodes).

Last edited:
time will crawl GIF

First episode was a great start, imo.

Second episode put me to sleep in a few spots.

It's been pretty good so far, although after episode 2 I think I'm fairly certain now how things are going to unfold for House T and their dragons, leading up to what we saw in GoT.

First episode was a great start, imo.

Second episode put me to sleep in a few spots.
I felt the opposite. I enjoyed the introductory aspects of the first episode and immediate action, but I often enjoyed GoT episodes that fleshed out characters and revealed motives and possible alliances and betrayals. I want to care about the characters. Whether that is in a positive or a negative light doesn’t matter. I just want to be affected when “stuff”goes down.

I felt the opposite. I enjoyed the introductory aspects of the first episode and immediate action, but I often enjoyed GoT episodes that fleshed out characters and revealed motives and possible alliances and betrayals. I want to care about the characters. Whether that is in a positive or a negative light doesn’t matter. I just want to be affected when goes down.

I agree with your point on character development and the interplay of alliances/betrayals.

The pacing of some scenes was painfully slow - long, wide shots of settings or pregnant pauses before getting to character dialogue.

And as far as developing intrigue...

They settled the king's re-marrying prospects too quick, imo.

Less than one episode to introduce the topic and decide it without allowing houses to jockey and plot? A lil weak for me

EDIT - Another key factor for me is that I struggle with shows that start at 9pm or later. (Lame, i know)

They are definitely noting time advancements though episode to episode (saying it hasn’t been six months since my wife died), and appear to be jumping right into a newborn next episode.

It has been a long time since a series or even a film has captured all of my attention. I’m usually playing solitaire or websurfing on the iPad while I’m watching just about any other show. Including most of Saul. But, Dragon? Newp. Focused.

It’s interesting how it’s such a ‘small’ thing compared to GoT’s sprawling, vast cast and worlds. The producers have already said there won’t be any ‘fan favorites’ like Arya, and obvious heroes like Jon Snow. More like everyone is compromised and it’s all shades of gray… or somesuch. I wonder if that will be true over the entire 4 year(?) run or if those types of characters will incidentally emerge. I mean, even Succesion needs a Cousin Greg in a cast of unlikables.

People who criticized the end of GoT all out of proportion and perspective should still be able to recognize how the entirety of this franchise is still head and shoulders above anything else. It’s all just magnificent.

I was shocked how quickly I got sucked back into the world. I was a little iffy on Matt Smith for Daemon, but he’s knocking it out.
Coming around on Corlys too

And just a heads up for any readers - the book is awesome.

The lore created around the dynasty and Old Valyria/Westeros almost rivals Tolkien but never ever could.

I was shocked how quickly I got sucked back into the world. I was a little iffy on Matt Smith for Daemon, but he’s knocking it out.
That character is going to be legit

I only know him from The Crown, where he was excellent, so I had no negative bias. You’re talking about Doctor Who? Was he not well-regarded there?

I only know him from The Crown, where he was excellent, so I had no negative bias. You’re talking about Doctor Who? Was he not well-regarded there?
I knew him from the Crown. He was so great as Prince Philip I couldn’t picture him as anything else.

He’s perfect as Daemon. He’s apparently one of those great actors that you don’t realize is acting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom