How many players on our roster can shoot 35% from 3pt range for a season? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How many players on our roster can shoot 35% from 3pt range for a season?

Perhaps Roberson will develop a mid range shot by next year. It could very well be a confidence issue from somebody who knows his role from a "usage" perspective. With a bit more of the load offensively he may not think as much when he takes that shot.

Honestly speaking, at the beginning of last year, I didn't think that I'd seen a worse, less capable offensive team than the squad we had. We were imbalanced, depth sucked, and we had several streaky players. This stuff you're saying about 60-65 ppg against P5 teams WAS thrown about last year, and was a legitimate concern.

If last year's team could eclipse that with little difficulty, any team can. We're going to be fine.
I know this thread is about offense but with the potential this team has on the defensive end I don't think we need much improvement offensively. With a backline of Lydon-Chukwu-Roberson and up top with 6-5 Howard and 6-6 Battle - by March, good luck scoring against that.

I know this thread is about offense but with the potential this team has on the defensive end I don't think we need much improvement offensively. With a backline of Lydon-Chukwu-Roberson and up top with 6-5 Howard and 6-6 Battle - by March, good luck scoring against that.

Agreed.

And I'll just add that I think a lot of people are going to be shocked by Gillon's capabilities.

Honestly speaking, at the beginning of last year, I didn't think that I'd seen a worse, less capable offensive team than the squad we had. We were imbalanced, depth sucked, and we had several streaky players. This stuff you're saying about 60-65 ppg against P5 teams WAS thrown about last year, and was a legitimate concern.

If last year's team could eclipse that with little difficulty, any team can. We're going to be fine.
Our offense was terrible last year. The defense was just elite enough to protect the team. We averaged 68 PPG for the season.
Against P6 Teams we only scored in 70s 11 times out of 26 games.

We were a poor offensive team last year now we have less offensive firepower on paper next year. We didn't eclipse that problem last year. If we had a better offense we could won the NC as we lost the UNC game on offense during the last 10 minutes of the first half.

Our offense was terrible last year. The defense was just elite enough to protect the team. We averaged 68 PPG for the season.
Against P6 Teams we only scored in 70s 11 times out of 26 games.

We were a poor offensive team last year now we have less offensive firepower on paper next year. We didn't eclipse that problem last year. If we had a better offense we could won the NC as we lost the UNC game on offense during the last 10 minutes of the first half.

The point is that offensive limitations can be overcome. We overcame it to win the Atlantis tournament, playing better than anybody could have envisioned for last year's team. And we overcame it to advance to the final four.

Nobody is going to mistake last year's or this year's team with Loyola-Marymount. That doesn't mean that we can't win a lot of games.

For the record, last year's team and the .500 conference record would have been a lot different if not for the JB suspension.

So you think Lydon < Fair ?
C'mon man. I think Fair was 2nd team All-American his Senior year
If Lydon stays 4 years I will answer it. I think Fair is better right now thru their careers.

Plus Lydon is a PF and he is going to be the SF on paper because he can make shots and Roberson can't.

C'mon man. I think Fair was 2nd team All-American his Senior year
If Lydon stays 4 years I will answer it. I think Fair is better right now thru their careers.

Plus Lydon is a PF and he is going to be the SF on paper because he can make shots and Roberson can't.
Wholeheartedly disagree. Tyler Lydon is a better, more important player than CJ Fair. And I was (am) a big CJ fan.

The point is that offensive limitations can be overcome. We overcame it to win the Atlantis tournament, playing better than anybody could have envisioned for last year's team. And we overcame it to advance to the final four.

Nobody is going to mistake last year's or this year's team with Loyola-Marymount. That doesn't mean that we can't win a lot of games.

For the record, last year's team and the .500 conference record would have been a lot different if not for the JB suspension.
JB's suspension IMO costed us 2 games. St. John's and Clemson. We would have been 21-10 instead of 19-12. It was a factor for the bubble but not our season overall.

I get people being optimistic but people are not being complete in their analysis. I am not saying we will suck we are just going to be bubble again. I don't blame Malachi either. I am ticked off at the roster management. JB is not above being frustrated at as this is on him. It doesn't mean he sucks, should retire, or people aren't thankful. It is just frustrating because our next 2 years future potential have gone down.

I think we'll struggle a bit, but definately not because of Lydon. He's the best forward we've had since Wes, and a borderline lottery pick IMO. It isn't close really. CJ was never this good.

JB's suspension IMO costed us 2 games. St. John's and Clemson. We would have been 21-10 instead of 19-12. It was a factor for the bubble but not our season overall.

I get people being optimistic but people are not being complete in their analysis. I am not saying we will suck we are just going to be bubble again. I don't blame Malachi either. I am ticked off at the roster management. JB is not above being frustrated at as this is on him. It doesn't mean he sucks, should retire, or people aren't thankful. It is just frustrating because our next 2 years future potential have gone down.

I cannot agree with this at all. Lydon was not even national ranked when they got him. Him may be one of the best recruits based on his standings the staff has ever found.

The 2016-17 recruiting class is very good. Again, I'm not sure what you are thinking. We are just not going to get every 5-star recruit we offer. It's a crap shoot. What would you have the staff do differently?

Wholeheartedly disagree. Tyler Lydon is a better, more important player than CJ Fair. And I was (am) a big CJ fan.
What? Better NBA prospect maybe? More important player? What

C'mon man Fair was part of 2 really deep teams 2011, 2012 and then was scorer in 2013 and 2014. Lydon isn't going to be a 4 year player most likely but if we had more depth Lydon wouldn't be any different than Fair.

Are you saying Lydon is going to be first team all-ACC next year right now? I am expecting him to be an all-conference player but not an all-American.

What? Better NBA prospect maybe? More important player? What

C'mon man Fair was part of 2 really deep teams 2011, 2012 and then was scorer in 2013 and 2014. Lydon isn't going to be a 4 year player most likely but if we had more depth Lydon wouldn't be any different than Fair.

Are you saying Lydon is going to be first team all-ACC next year right now? I am expecting him to be an all-conference player but not an all-American.
I'm just saying that Lydon is a better basketball player, at roughly the same position, than Fair - and he'll do more for the team next year than Fair did in any of his years. And I really liked/like CJ alot.

I cannot agree with this at all. Lydon was not even national ranked when they got him. Him may be one of the best recruits based on his standings the staff has ever found.

The 2016-17 recruiting class is very good. Again, I'm not sure what you are thinking. We are just not going to get every 5-star recruit we offer. It's a crap shoot. What would you have the staff do differently?
Lydon was a 4 star recruit. He was ranked in the 80's he wasn't an unknown.

Nobody expects all 5 stars but about a complete roster. Hell even 10 scholarship players would be fine because they couldn't anticipate losing Malachi even though it shouldn't have been a complete shock.

8 scholarship players is laughable and that is the frustration.

I think Lydon could average 18 if we made him the focal point of the offense, which I think we have to.
Lydon will definitely be the focal point of the offense and imo will prove to be one of the best offensive players in the nation.

In fact, I wouldn't put it past Lydon to be the program's first 20+ ppg scorer since Warrick. I don't think people realize how good he is...himself included. He can score inside and outside and showed better dribble-drive ability than expected.

As far as his teammates go - the penetration and dish abilities of Howard and Gillon combined with Roberson's and Chukwu's potential for OReb's / second-chance opportunities will help. Gillon is a proven scorer and if Battle and Roberson can be capable/improved outside shooters (Battle from 3, Roberson from the elbow) that could be the key to easing defensive pressure off of him.

If people want to be optimistic right now go ahead and I won't piss in your Cheerios. I am just looking at the facts the way I see them without being idealistic.
I see a flawed offensive team that will need to rely on an elite defense with a razor thin margin for error to win conference games. I do expect to make the NCAAT but then its just all about matchups.

Our analysis is incomplete. That must be it.

So basically you're saying JB is to blame for a freshman leaving school because he's likely a first-round pick that was strongly aided (if not caused) by an unexpected Final Four run. He was supposed to see that coming and therefore we should still have a full roster. Apparently landing Gillon doesn't count. Don't we still have the sanctions taking effect on roster count?

Lydon > Fair and it's really not even close. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of SF's who can't shoot threes.

Any chance we ever role out a lineup with Battle on the back line and Gillon/Howard up top? Battle seems about the same size as Richardson.

Lydon was a 4 star recruit. He was ranked in the 80's he wasn't an unknown.

Nobody expects all 5 stars but about a complete roster. Hell even 10 scholarship players would be fine because they couldn't anticipate losing Malachi even though it shouldn't have been a complete shock.

8 scholarship players is laughable and that is the frustration.

He was unranked when he was offered. He was ranked after he was offered by us.

Again, it's a crap shoot. Out of the 9 offers, we got 2 guys:

http://www.At their request, this n...-prospects?hasOffer=true&minimumInterest=None

Players leaving early is out of their control. The Diagne issue was out of their control. I think the last 5 years the staff has done a terrific job recruiting.

If people want to be optimistic right now go ahead and I won't piss in your Cheerios. I am just looking at the facts the way I see them without being idealistic.
I see a flawed offensive team that will need to rely on an elite defense with a razor thin margin for error to win conference games. I do expect to make the NCAAT but then its just all about matchups.

Yeah, if Battle turns out like Joseph you have a point. If Gillon shoots like TC you have a point. If Lydon doesn't make a some kind of sophomore leap then you are right. If Roberson doesn't come out to have a stellar senior season then you are right. The defense will get progressively better as the season progresses.

There are a lot of question marks. But, I feel a lot better about this team than last year's team.

Our analysis is incomplete. That must be it.

So basically you're saying JB is to blame for a freshman leaving school because he's likely a first-round pick that was strongly aided (if not caused) by an unexpected Final Four run. He was supposed to see that coming and therefore we should still have a full roster. Apparently landing Gillon doesn't count. Don't we still have the sanctions taking effect on roster count?
JB had to know Kaleb and Chino were leaving. They also got the 11th scholarship back in November. That is what I am talking about. Gillon isn't enough. JB wanted more he brought in Gillon/Mullins/Albrecht and only got 1. He wanted more. We still haven't locked down Thompson because he wants PT and he sees that he will sit his Fr year.

That is what I am talking about. How weren't we ready to use these scholarships. Malachi's is irrelevant. If we had 10 guys that is a lot different than 8. If we just didn't/don't fill the Malachi scholarship it would be a lot better.

Right now we have 1 more day in the Spring Signing period and only have 8 scholarship players. If we don't get anybody before tomorrow as a recruit it will be all 5th year transfer guys or an 8 man team. That is frustration. Why can't people figure this out and need it explained. It is not hard to figure out.

Francis has been saying on the BB recruiting board our staff has limited our recruiting to the Northeast. That is a problem when recruiting HS kids and getting in late.

um, ok... thanks?
I wasn't talking about you. I was about talking the guy who makes themselves the arbiter of other people's opinions. It isn't you or the person I was responding to.

Alsacs said:
JB had to know Kaleb and Chino were leaving. They also got the 11th scholarship back in November. That is what I am talking about. Gillon isn't enough. JB wanted more he brought in Gillon/Mullins/Albrecht and only got 1. He wanted more. We still haven't locked down Thompson because he wants PT and he sees that he will sit his Fr year. That is what I am talking about. How weren't we ready to use these scholarships. Malachi's is irrelevant. If we had 10 guys that is a lot different than 8. If we just didn't/don't fill the Malachi scholarship it would be a lot better. Right now we have 1 more day in the Spring Signing period and only have 8 scholarship players. If we don't get anybody before tomorrow as a recruit it will be all 5th year transfer guys or an 8 man team. That is frustration. Why can't people figure this out and need it explained. It is not hard to figure out. Francis has been saying on the BB recruiting board our staff has limited our recruiting to the Northeast. That is a problem when recruiting HS kids and getting in late.

Seton Hall and Michigan State are nearly maxed out with recruits. He's not guaranteed playing time at either school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom