How to Fix SU Football? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

How to Fix SU Football?

We as Cuse fans, need to stop living in fantasy land, and embrace the truth about our situation> I hope we develop a winning program, but recognize what our limitations are, and it goes deeper than a coach or an AD. This new football landscape is getting increasingly more difficult to successfully navigate without a lot of consistent Cash Flow!!
He said he can't do it. Someone else will say they can. It'a that simple.

I'm going to leave the non-field stuff alone. One poster referenced that places like East Lansing and others
have successful programs even if located in not great spots. The places mentioned can bang out a 75K
stadium for any game, any time. Has SU drawn that in two games this year? Of course, Michigan State and
Florida have 50K enrollees, a bit more than the Cuse.

On the field, you know, they could start with ...

1) an OL coach who can get the line to either pass block or run block, so as to not totally suck at both,
and it's been that way for YEARS. The two deep has the smallest guy at 292, and they are awful. And
for Fs sake, enough with the false start penalties. MAKE IT STOP. This has been the bane of SU football
going back to when McNabb was the QB. You'd see that team get a first and goal at the one and have
to call a timeout to run the play. With McNabb, the best collection of receiving talent the school has
ever had with Harrison, Spotwood, and Kevin Johnson; plus an RB group of Kyle McIntosh, Rob Konrad,
Malcolm Thomas (who combined for like 5200 yards), you honestly have to call a timeout with first and
goal at the one? Enough with the complicated formations, the rushing to get plays off, go back, huddle,
set up in a basic formation and snap the stinking ball without the penalties. I mean, BC is a terrible
program, but their Oline coach in 2020 and 2021 had NINE all-ACC linemen. Basically, the entire squad!
They aren't that much better physically / ratings-wise than the SU kids, but they are worlds apart in
execution.

2) enough with the RPO. i-formation, snap the ball, handoff right, handoff left, pitch right, pitch left, screen
right, screen left. That is how to get the ball to the RB. and maybe, just maybe, the fact you're setting up
for a designed run might allow the OL to focus on pounding their guys and clearing the way. I've seen
too much of "i'll put it in the RB's belly, and it's a run ... it is, really ... no, i'm throwing (a crappy pass)" plays.
Run, or pass, but stop with the "we'll start it as this, and at the last second, i'm throwing or running myself."

3) Fix item 1. then get a QB who is a passer, not a glorified running back who can make ten yard passes,
but only in certain spots on the field. The QB needs touch, and needs to make throws all over, and have
an idea that on a sideline route, the ball has to stay in bounds, otherwise it won't be caught. Shrader can
move the team, but he is not a real QB. He's an imitation of Tim Tebow, who pulled it off because he had
way more talent around him. GS will have good games, and look, he's fully capable of having a few great
ones against the remaining teams, but players like him are not going to get this program into the top 25
consistently. I mean, you play in a dome. The schedule they play is at worst going to give them two bad
weather cold games a year, in BC and Pitt. You may as well take advantage of that and build a passing
game that can gain 400 yards a game in their sleep. But intelligently. Just run plays first, not with the
confusing stuff. That just serves to mess up the Orange, not the opponent.

That's a good start. BUT FIX ITEM ONE FIRST. No point doing it otherwise, unless they taking up permanent
residence in the Patriot League or MAC.

Kev

I'm going to leave the non-field stuff alone. One poster referenced that places like East Lansing and others
have successful programs even if located in not great spots. The places mentioned can bang out a 75K
stadium for any game, any time. Has SU drawn that in two games this year? Of course, Michigan State and

1) an OL coach who can get the line to either pass block or run block, so as to not totally suck at both,
and it's been that way for YEARS. The two deep has the smallest guy at 292, and they are awful. And
for Fs sake, enough with the false start penalties. MAKE IT STOP. This has been the bane of SU football
going back to when McNabb was the QB. You'd see that team get a first and goal at the one and have
to call a timeout to run the play. With McNabb, the best collection of receiving talent the school has
ever had with Harrison, Spotwood, and Kevin Johnson; plus an RB group of Kyle McIntosh, Rob Konrad,
Malcolm Thomas (who combined for like 5200 yards), you honestly have to call a timeout with first and
goal at the one? Enough with the complicated formations, the rushing to get plays off, go back, huddle,
set up in a basic formation and snap the stinking ball without the penalties. I mean, BC is a terrible
program, but their Oline coach in 2020 and 2021 had NINE all-ACC linemen. Basically, the entire squad!
They aren't that much better physically / ratings-wise than the SU kids, but they are worlds apart in
execution.

2) enough with the RPO. i-formation, snap the ball, handoff right, handoff left, pitch right, pitch left, screen
right, screen left. That is how to get the ball to the RB. and maybe, just maybe, the fact you're setting up
for a designed run might allow the OL to focus on pounding their guys and clearing the way. I've seen
too much of "i'll put it in the RB's belly, and it's a run ... it is, really ... no, i'm throwing (a crappy pass)" plays.
Run, or pass, but stop with the "we'll start it as this, and at the last second, i'm throwing or running myself."

3) Fix item 1. then get a QB who is a passer, not a glorified running back who can make ten yard passes,
but only in certain spots on the field. The QB needs touch, and needs to make throws all over, and have
an idea that on a sideline route, the ball has to stay in bounds, otherwise it won't be caught. Shrader can
move the team, but he is not a real QB. He's an imitation of Tim Tebow, who pulled it off because he had
way more talent around him. GS will have good games, and look, he's fully capable of having a few great
ones against the remaining teams, but players like him are not going to get this program into the top 25
consistently. I mean, you play in a dome. The schedule they play is at worst going to give them two bad
weather cold games a year, in BC and Pitt. You may as well take advantage of that and build a passing
game that can gain 400 yards a game in their sleep. But intelligently. Just run plays first, not with the

That's a good start. BUT FIX ITEM ONE FIRST. No point doing it otherwise, unless they taking up permanent

Kev
Great post

We went 5-7 in 2021, with losses to Rutgers and an uncompetitive game against a mediocre Louisville.
We were better last season than we were in 2021. We are better now than we were in 2021.
FSU has always had more talent than SU since we started playing in the ACC - even in 2018 when we pounded them.
If you want to go ahead and cherry pick teams that improved from year to year, have at it. If you want to be genuine, pick all the teams that have gotten worse. How about Pitt? How about BC? UVA? VaTech?
If you want to pick mediocre teams to justify mediocrity go right ahead. I want my team to be better than it has been. I don't think Dino is going to get us there.

Yeah, not happy about him saying that at all, to be honest.
There’s many better ways of saying what he did, to be blunt. I can take his job if he’s just going to throw up his hands and surrender.

execution.

Kev
If we ran a no-huddle offense with Mcnabb and kept things simple, that might have been enough to mask the line deficiencies to get us into the national title consideration one of those years. Esp 97 when we had the best O and D combination.

I’m convinced many of our What losses were a result of too much thinking and meathead.

We went 5-7 in 2021, with losses to Rutgers and an uncompetitive game against a mediocre Louisville.
We were better last season than we were in 2021. We are better now than we were in 2021.
FSU has always had more talent than SU since we started playing in the ACC - even in 2018 when we pounded them.
If you want to go ahead and cherry pick teams that improved from year to year, have at it. If you want to be genuine, pick all the teams that have gotten worse. How about Pitt? How about BC? UVA? VaTech?
1) Duke has money that we can only dream of! 2) Duke out recruited us for their Star QB Leonard. Duke is easier to recruit to than Syracuse and kids actually want to go there, even before they were winning 3) Beyond football, a Duke degree is more highly valued than a Syracuse degree in most majors with the exception of NewHouse, and have you ever been on the Duke Campus? It is very difficult to comapare our situation to any of the better funded , warm weather schools in the AC. BC is about the only school we can compare ourselves to in the ACC, when they become a perennial 10 game winner, then we have problems.

Who says it doesn’t? But to say things are different recently is false. We are still seeing the SOS under Dino.
You said it.

Just because it doesn’t fit you narrative you choose a specific cut off to exclude data you don’t like

They are 6-8 vs P5 the last two seasons . The losses have all been to teams 34 or higher in your rating of choice

The last time they lost to team outside of the top half of your metric of choice is Rutgers, 29 games ago.

The last three years they are 8-9 vs peer teams.

Does it need to continue to improve, yes, has it improved, absolutely

Last edited:
You said it.

Just because it doesn’t fit you narrative you choose a specific cut off to exclude data you don’t like

They are 6-8 vs P5 the last two seasons . The losses have all been to teams 34 or higher in your rating of choice

The last time they lost to team outside of the top half of your metric of choice is Rutgers, 29 games ago.

The last three years they are 8-9 vs peer teams.

Does it need to continue to improve, yes, has it improved, absolutely
Wrong again. I was evaluating Dino’s tenure and you cherry picked games to try to prove how things are different now. They are better than the TD years but no different than the Dungey years or overall. We are 3-8 vs decent teams with 3 blowout Ls.

1) Duke has money that we can only dream of! 2) Duke out recruited us for their Star QB Leonard. Duke is easier to recruit to than Syracuse and kids actually want to go there, even before they were winning 3) Beyond football, a Duke degree is more highly valued than a Syracuse degree in most majors with the exception of NewHouse, and have you ever been on the Duke Campus? It is very difficult to comapare our situation to any of the better funded , warm weather schools in the AC. BC is about the only school we can compare ourselves to in the ACC, when they become a perennial 10 game winner, then we have problems.
I don't think football players wanted to go to duke before Cutcliff, he instilled a much better culture and made them more equal to Syracuse, BC, Virginia, etc. You're not wrong on the academic part but if we are being honest, I dont think it has a huge bearing on where most players choose to play. It helps but these kids usually ride their D1 experience into a profession versus the name on their degree.

Wrong again. I was evaluating Dino’s tenure and you cherry picked games to try to prove how things are different now. They are better than the TD years but no different than the Dungey years or overall. We are 3-8 vs decent teams with 3 blowout Ls.
You’re the one saying P5 is the measure.

And they have definitely been better post COVID that the first half of his tenure.

You’re the one saying P5 is the measure.

And they have definitely been better post COVID that the first half of his tenure.

We were 11-11 vs P5 with Dungey as a starter. We are 8-13 with Shrader, 6-7 using just the last 2 seasons.

Really if you take away the TD starts (2-11 vs P5) and 2020 we have been decent.

Last edited:
We were 11-11 vs P5 with Dungey as a starter. We are 8-13 with Shrader, 6-7 using just the last 2 seasons.

Really if you take away the TD starts (2-11 vs P5) and 2020 we have been decent.

Interesting work, thanks!

I do think 2020 and whether you even remember it is what explains the difference in how people feel about babers

(I don't remember anything about 2020 season)

Very weird to just shrug off the worst team ever but that's what I did as it was happening

And I don't blame babers all that much for TD but I understand if people do

Ok, not sure what any of this has to do with what I wrote.
I originally replied to a post that said FSU had improved since we played them and SU hadn't. The response to my reply was along the lines of "what about Duke?", to which I replied why cherry pick certain "peer" schools and not others?
And now, you're trying to take me on a complete tangent about Duke > SU.
Have at it, because I don't have the desire to debate that topic.

If you want to pick mediocre teams to justify mediocrity go right ahead. I want my team to be better than it has been. I don't think Dino is going to get us there.
You're getting off the topic of my original reply, which was that SU has improved since we played FSU in 2021 (countering your statement that we hadn't improved).
Nowhere in my posts have i justified mediocrity.
I also want SU to be better. I've followed SU football since 1978. I've seen the best and the worst up close and personal. It sucks getting blown out by teams that I feel we should be able to compete with.
I'm fairly resigned now to the fact that SU is looking at a declining role in the ever changing major college sports landscape. I also find it harder to justify spending more and more money to try to keep up. This country has gone off the rails on where it spends its money and where it refuses to. (Mods, feel free to delete this last paragraph if it's too far off topic).

Ok, not sure what any of this has to do with what I wrote.
I originally replied to a post that said FSU had improved since we played them and SU hadn't. The response to my reply was along the lines of "what about Duke?", to which I replied why cherry pick certain "peer" schools and not others?
And now, you're trying to take me on a complete tangent about Duke > SU.
Have at it, because I don't have the desire to debate that topic.
Comment was posted under the wrong comment..sorry, has nothing to do with your post...LOL..

The college football landscape has changed and continues to change making it more difficult for any school without a fanbase that has the ability to compete in the world on NIL to compete on the field.

The easy answer to “How do you fix SU football“ is to say recruit better. Although this is the truth, it’s not that simple. NIL and the elimination of the 25-player initial counter rule for football have made recruiting much more difficult for smaller schools. Big programs with big NIL operations will be able to attract better players initially, attract better players from the portal and prevent their current players from leaving for another school. The only players leaving the big programs will be players the program wants to leave. Second string players are not going to leave their current school where they are making 30K in NIL $ for a first-string opportunity that only comes with 20K in NIL $. Programs with smaller NIL support will be challenged to initially attract top talent out of high school, challenged to attract top talent out of the portal and challenged to hang on to their own player who develop into a good player.

And the ability to offer more than 25 new scholarships each year only means the top programs will be able to push more players who appear to be under-performing out of their program.

NCAA council permanently drops new-player limit for football - ESPN

Syracuse already doesn’t recruit well against the top tier programs in the ACC. Heck, we don’t even seem to try. Syracuse has 18 commitments for the 2024 class. Of the 18 commitments, none of them, zero, had an offer from Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, or Miami when they committed to Syracuse. Conversely, of the 87 players in the 2023 class who have already committed to Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, or Miami, only 13 had an offer from Syracuse. SU had only offered 13 of the 87 players who have committed to the top programs in the ACC. We are not even recruiting the same players. The players we want, the top programs don’t seem to want. And 85% of the players who have committed to the top programs weren’t even offered a scholarship by Syracuse. Posters on this forum applaud each commitment and often post how each kid is a great get. Then the same posters complain when the Syracuse team isn’t competitive against those top programs on Saturday.

In my opinion, Syracuse should be offering and developing relationships with every top kid out there. Of course, we aren’t going to sign them all, but could we sign one or two a year? And, if we established relationship with the player when he was in high school, we may have a better chance with the same player if they hit the portal down the line.

NIL is crazy and it is affecting the NFL. I never would have thought a college player would be able to generate the kind of money that is out there. Top players are making millions of dollars a year. Both Caleb Williams and Shedeur Sanders are talking about delaying their entry into the NFL and staying in college, so they don’t have to take a pay cut. Of course, when players of this caliber decide to stay in school another year it allows the school to continue to stockpile talent because they only have to push a lesser player out to create another scholarship for a player they want.

Shedeur Sanders Could Make $10 Million In NIL If He Stays In College (prosportsnation.com)

RUMOR: Caleb Williams Has List Of 5 NFL Teams He'll Play For (totalprosports.com)

Syracuse is trying. There are a few collectives out there for Syracuse athletes, but it’s unclear how much money is really available for top players. And it appears as though the 315 Collective may no longer be active.

According to the On3 website (if you know a better source please share), some ACC programs are very active in NIL.

• Miami; > $7 million valuation for 50 players.
  • Clemson; > $5 million valuation for 38 payers.
  • Florida State; > $4.5 million valuation for 48 players.
  • North Carolina; > $3.8 million for 13 players.
  • Syracuse; < $1 million.

Without serious NIL support, I don’t see how Syracuse can compete with the top programs in the ACC.

NIL Valuations are primarily based on three elements; performance (athletic results -wins, yards gained, TD’s scored etc…), influence (social media strength) and exposure (market and media). Skill position players have some control of their performance numbers with QB’s having the most control.

About On3 NIL Valuation, Brand Value, Roster Value - On3

With that said, I would suggest Syracuse direct a large portion of the NIL $ that is available to offensive linemen. Offensive lineman seems to be making less NIL $ than other positions, but they also could have the most impact on a team’s success. The better the offensive line, the better the team usually is. We could get more bang for our collective buck by prioritizing linemen. Skill players will be able to generate NIL $ with their performances (and a social media presence).

What kind of NIL money is available to Syracuse?

You're getting off the topic of my original reply, which was that SU has improved since we played FSU in 2021 (countering your statement that we hadn't improved).
Nowhere in my posts have i justified mediocrity.
I also want SU to be better. I've followed SU football since 1978. I've seen the best and the worst up close and personal. It sucks getting blown out by teams that I feel we should be able to compete with.
I'm fairly resigned now to the fact that SU is looking at a declining role in the ever changing major college sports landscape. I also find it harder to justify spending more and more money to try to keep up. This country has gone off the rails on where it spends its money and where it refuses to. (Mods, feel free to delete this last paragraph if it's too far off topic).

I've followed them since the early or mid 60's and I've seen both good and bad too. I guess I don't want to resign myself to thinking that SU will never come back to relevance. I think a different coach could get more out of the program. Time will tell. We're all fans and we all want the best for the program we just see things from different perspectives. Talk about going off topic LOL. (Even if I agree)

The college football landscape has changed and continues to change making it more difficult for any school without a fanbase that has the ability to compete in the world on NIL to compete on the field.

The easy answer to “How do you fix SU football“ is to say recruit better. Although this is the truth, it’s not that simple. NIL and the elimination of the 25-player initial counter rule for football have made recruiting much more difficult for smaller schools. Big programs with big NIL operations will be able to attract better players initially, attract better players from the portal and prevent their current players from leaving for another school. The only players leaving the big programs will be players the program wants to leave. Second string players are not going to leave their current school where they are making 30K in NIL $ for a first-string opportunity that only comes with 20K in NIL $. Programs with smaller NIL support will be challenged to initially attract top talent out of high school, challenged to attract top talent out of the portal and challenged to hang on to their own player who develop into a good player.

And the ability to offer more than 25 new scholarships each year only means the top programs will be able to push more players who appear to be under-performing out of their program.

NCAA council permanently drops new-player limit for football - ESPN

Syracuse already doesn’t recruit well against the top tier programs in the ACC. Heck, we don’t even seem to try. Syracuse has 18 commitments for the 2024 class. Of the 18 commitments, none of them, zero, had an offer from Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, or Miami when they committed to Syracuse. Conversely, of the 87 players in the 2023 class who have already committed to Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, or Miami, only 13 had an offer from Syracuse. SU had only offered 13 of the 87 players who have committed to the top programs in the ACC. We are not even recruiting the same players. The players we want, the top programs don’t seem to want. And 85% of the players who have committed to the top programs weren’t even offered a scholarship by Syracuse. Posters on this forum applaud each commitment and often post how each kid is a great get. Then the same posters complain when the Syracuse team isn’t competitive against those top programs on Saturday.

In my opinion, Syracuse should be offering and developing relationships with every top kid out there. Of course, we aren’t going to sign them all, but could we sign one or two a year? And, if we established relationship with the player when he was in high school, we may have a better chance with the same player if they hit the portal down the line.

NIL is crazy and it is affecting the NFL. I never would have thought a college player would be able to generate the kind of money that is out there. Top players are making millions of dollars a year. Both Caleb Williams and Shedeur Sanders are talking about delaying their entry into the NFL and staying in college, so they don’t have to take a pay cut. Of course, when players of this caliber decide to stay in school another year it allows the school to continue to stockpile talent because they only have to push a lesser player out to create another scholarship for a player they want.

Shedeur Sanders Could Make $10 Million In NIL If He Stays In College (prosportsnation.com)

RUMOR: Caleb Williams Has List Of 5 NFL Teams He'll Play For (totalprosports.com)

Syracuse is trying. There are a few collectives out there for Syracuse athletes, but it’s unclear how much money is really available for top players. And it appears as though the 315 Collective may no longer be active.

According to the On3 website (if you know a better source please share), some ACC programs are very active in NIL.

• Miami; > $7 million valuation for 50 players.
  • Clemson; > $5 million valuation for 38 payers.
  • Florida State; > $4.5 million valuation for 48 players.
  • North Carolina; > $3.8 million for 13 players.
  • Syracuse; < $1 million.

Without serious NIL support, I don’t see how Syracuse can compete with the top programs in the ACC.

NIL Valuations are primarily based on three elements; performance (athletic results -wins, yards gained, TD’s scored etc…), influence (social media strength) and exposure (market and media). Skill position players have some control of their performance numbers with QB’s having the most control.

About On3 NIL Valuation, Brand Value, Roster Value - On3

With that said, I would suggest Syracuse direct a large portion of the NIL $ that is available to offensive linemen. Offensive lineman seems to be making less NIL $ than other positions, but they also could have the most impact on a team’s success. The better the offensive line, the better the team usually is. We could get more bang for our collective buck by prioritizing linemen. Skill players will be able to generate NIL $ with their performances (and a social media presence).

What kind of NIL money is available to Syracuse?
I believe those numbers are projected annual value and not necessarily actual NIL money received.

I hate it when you spend time doing stats and some dope says oh yeah well what about every other team in history.

Is NC State a good team to compare? Pitt too good, bc too bad.

NC State in the Dino era

Top 1/4
6-16 .273 W%
6 blowout Ls
OT 1 W & 1 L
Poor record with a lot less games and lower blowout % than SU

2nd Q
15-14 .517 W%
5 blowouts
OT 1 W
Great record and huge difference vs SU. A few more games and lower blowout %.

3rd Q
16-0 1.000 W%
Surprisingly perfect. SU wasn't too bad either besides the blowouts.

Bottom 1/4
11-3 .786 W%
Surprisingly bad and slightly worse than SU. More games played too.

What sticks out for me is the Top 30-60 type teams. That is where NC State is on par with those teams and SU is far from being on par. We are similar to NC State vs the 1st Q, 3rd Q, and 4th Q. I don't think it is asking much for SU to be in a Top 60 program. Hard to say we are one when we are 8-17 with 9 blowout Ls.

I believe those numbers are projected annual value and not necessarily actual NIL money received.
Correct. Real dollars often aren’t as high but it depends. When recruits are interviewed and given anonymity, they’ve stated that playing time matters more than NIL in most cases. Some claim it doesn’t factor at all.

Of course a freshman transferring is a different story. I’m not sure how many backups at factories are making much NIL. Maybe they are and it prevents them from transferring but I think the factories are prioritizing poaching proven talent vs holding onto their depth. If a backup is that good, they’ll get money elsewhere too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom