How would Dino be fairing if we played | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How would Dino be fairing if we played

I swear half of our fanbase is stuck in 1997. USF has been a better program than us on the whole for a solid decade. They're a legit decent program.

I was 6 in 1997

People here used to trash RU for their schedules

The irony is top notch

Far from it.

I'm convinced that a significant majority of the fanbase doesn't pay attention to college football outside of watching SU games. And the ones that do might catch an occasional B1G game, and then freak out about us playing the Tampa 2 and playing uptempo.

The irony is top notch

If they played 3 top notch programs in conference every single season, we wouldn't have...because we wouldn't have needed to.

People "trashed" them because they were winning 7-8 games without beating anybody good, and people who don't pay attention thought they were better than they actually were.

Next year's OOC should be the template for the future.
1- FBS
2- G5 schools
1- P5 school(we have to play 1)

We should schedule to go 3-1 in the OOC. That way with BC/Wake/Pitt/NC State and 1 Coastal school we have a good chance at 6 wins.

it's a gauntlet when you can lose half or more of the OOC games. You should schedule 3 cream puffs and 1 P5. The Big 10 usually schedules 3 OOC creampuffs. The SEC same thing.

Alabama plays Western Kentucky, Kent State and Chattanooga
Exactly. I was just going to say... Ask the SEC schools if they agree. Creampuff city.

who needs an ooc gauntlet when you play louisville florida state virginia tech and clemson

I wasn't saying we should increase the difficulty. I just don't think we need to schedule softer cupcakes than the cupcakes we're already scheduling. Nobody is looking at the flip side. There are cupcakes out there who can beat us on more than dumb luck. I'd rather play two garbage bottom feeders like Colgate and UConn, then two equally crappy programs like USF and Cincy each year than 3 or 4 programs people have to look up because they've never heard of them. Let's not improve the likelihood of losing to a team like Buffalo anymore than we have to.

I've obviously been excluding the Notre Dame series from this because it's pretty much established fact that that move was stupid and shouldn't be repeated until we stop sucking. If the thread was saying we shouldn't be scheduling teams of Notre Dame's usual caliber, then duh.

2-2 vs. Colgate(W), UConn(W), USF(L), Cincy(L) is better than 3-1 vs. directional school A, directional school B, Buffalo, New Jersey Institute of Technology. I get that getting to a bowl game is the big picture, but when the bowl game is the Bumf**k Nowhere Bowl, recruits and the media don't care, and the money's no good.

If they played 3 top notch programs in conference every single season, we wouldn't have...because we wouldn't have needed to.

People "trashed" them because they were winning 7-8 games without beating anybody good, and people who don't pay attention thought they were better than they actually were.

Completely agree. The fallacy was that they were a program on the rise, when in actuality they were scheduling themselves to bare minimum bowl thresholds, against a BE caliber schedule.

If that's the way that the system is set up, then it is foolish quite frankly not to have a schedule in place that is conducive to six wins. I'm sorry to report that my wife is an Ohio State grad, so I'm forced to semi-pay attention to them. And they play a bunch of creampuffs too. Want to know why? Because they also play, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, etc. in conference, and one marquee OOC matchup. Their SOS ends up being where it needs to be at the end, and so will ours.

Not to mention, the objective here is to get over the hump. Six wins, bowl eligibility, extra practices, and something that the coaches can sell on the recruiting trail. Those should be the short term goals. After we're winning and have a 8-9 win caliber team, if the AD wants to schedule tougher--go for it. But RIGHT NOW, that isn't helping matters.

The irony is top notch

The difference is the Big East wasn't strong so you could challenge yourself OOC. In addition the Big East only played 7 conference games so you had 5 OOC. Also the perception of the Big East was weak. So for the good of the conference teams needed to schedule name games to prove itself.

I wasn't saying we should increase the difficulty. I just don't think we need to schedule softer cupcakes than the cupcakes we're already scheduling. Nobody is looking at the flip side. There are cupcakes out there who can beat us on more than dumb luck. I'd rather play two garbage bottom feeders like Colgate and UConn, then two equally crappy programs like USF and Cincy each year than 3 or 4 programs people have to look up because they've never heard of them. Let's not improve the likelihood of losing to a team like Buffalo anymore than we have to.

I've obviously been excluding the Notre Dame series from this because it's pretty much established fact that that move was stupid and shouldn't be repeated until we stop sucking. If the thread was saying we shouldn't be scheduling teams of Notre Dame's usual caliber, then duh.

2-2 vs. Colgate(W), UConn(W), USF(L), Cincy(L) is better than 3-1 vs. directional school A, directional school B, Buffalo, New Jersey Institute of Technology. I get that getting to a bowl game is the big picture, but when the bowl game is the Bumf**k Nowhere Bowl, recruits and the media don't care, and the money's no good.

I completely disagree with everything in your last paragraph. Sorry, 2-2 is NOT better than 3-1. And a bowl game--no matter which game--at this stage of our program's rebuilding process is better than none.

If we're in year 5 of Dino Babers's tenure and we're talking about the Sun Bowl, then you'd have a valid point. But today? Completely off target.

USF and Cincy aren't "crappy" programs. They're decent.

I basically disagree with everything you said. 3-1>>2-2 no matter what. We have enough conference chances to see where we stand with the big boys. OOC, we need wins.

I completely disagree with everything in your last paragraph. Sorry, 2-2 is NOT better than 3-1. And a bowl game--no matter which game--at this stage of our program's rebuilding process is better than none.

If we're in year 5 of Dino Babers's tenure and we're talking about the Sun Bowl, then you'd have a valid point. But today? Completely off target.

How does the 'Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner Bowl presented by Uncle Ben's Rice' played in 'John's backyard cuz he owed us a favor' to a crowd of 7 people who are there because they got free tickets and no weekend plans going to help recruiting, or the program as a whole?

USF and Cincy aren't "crappy" programs. They're decent.

I basically disagree with everything you said. 3-1>>2-2 no matter what. We have enough conference chances to see where we stand with the big boys. OOC, we need wins.

"Equally crappy" as in, just as not good at playing football as us (arguably better).

Too many fans checked out post-McNabb and think the climb back is a quick fix. It's really not. We need to schedule smart and keep putting up huge numbers on O to change perception 1st. Once we have more recruits that are middle of the road to just under the top group (FSU/Clemson) and are competing legitimately to win the division - then, maybe - you add another P5 team.

(This is all going to be moot after the vote anyways. I'd bet we're playing 9 conf games very soon).

How does the 'Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner Bowl presented by Uncle Ben's Rice' played in 'John's backyard cuz he owed us a favor' to a crowd of 7 people who are there because they got free tickets and no weekend plans going to help recruiting, or the program as a whole?

More practices, more experience, I'm sure most players and recruits aren't as cynical about smaller bowls as some fans.

15+ practices, practiced with the reps of 2x the speed = 30 more reps

Thats sounds terrible except that doesn't exist. We play in a real conference with great bowl tie - ins.

You'd advocating that a loss is better than a win.

More practices, more experience, I'm sure most players and recruits aren't as cynical about smaller bowls as some fans.

Practices for bowl games are usually glorified walk-throughs. I'm not sure an extra week or two of that is going to have any significant impact on a player's development. I'd argue that avoiding the injury risk of playing in a meaningless post-season game is more beneficial.

Practices for bowl games are usually glorified walk-throughs. I'm not sure an extra week or two of that is going to have any significant impact on a player's development. I'd argue that avoiding the injury risk of playing in a meaningless post-season game is more beneficial.

No those extra practices are like a 2nd round of Spring ball.

Playing cupcakes will help SU get ranked which is something that hasn't happened in a long time. It will also help keep SU from being picked last every year in the ACC. These form perceptions for recruits. Look at Duke.

2012 we should have been ranked but we played OOC Northwestern, USC, Minnesota, Missouri and went 1-3 against them. If you cut that in half then we get an extra W or two, 9-4 or 10-3 likely gets us ranked.

Anything factual to back this up?

Coaches don't want to risk injuries in practice for a bowl game - even more so than during the regular season - and players already banged up are treated extra-gingerly so they're be as close to 100% for the final game of the season as possible. I don't know exactly how Babers tackles this, but prep for bowl games is usually more psychological and centered around strategy and gameplan than anything else. The players aren't learning new things at this stage of a season; everything they've learned is just being reinforced.

My point was that USF, Connecticut, and Colgate should be creampuffs every year. USF has good and bad years, but even a good year shouldn't put them at our level... shouldn't

They beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl 2-3 years ago? Come on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom