How would Dino be fairing if we played | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How would Dino be fairing if we played

No those extra practices are like a 2nd round of Spring ball.

I sincerely doubt this. My time watching a few DIII teams prep for the postseason says otherwise. I'm sure somebody here (maybe even you) has witnessed Syracuse's postseason practices over the years and can attest to what is typical. I'll admit I'm wrong if that's the case, but I'm skeptical. I suppose it's very coach dependent and I'd bet Schafer would handle it much differently than Dino. Anybody know what Dino did at his previous schools?

I sincerely doubt this. My time watching a few DIII teams prep for the postseason says otherwise. I'm sure somebody here (maybe even you) has witnessed Syracuse's postseason practices over the years and can attest to what is typical. I'll admit I'm wrong if that's the case, but I'm skeptical. I suppose it's very coach dependent and I'd bet Schafer would handle it much differently than Dino. Anybody know what Dino did at his previous schools?

Really you are comparing a 1-2 week period where a team has an important game to a 4-5 week period where a team is playing an exhibition game? There won't even be a gameplan until mid week of the Bowl game. So what do you think teams do the 3.5 weeks prior to that? Jumping jacks?

Sorry but you are WAY off on the importance of 15 extra practices.

First link I found: Bowl practice a chance to prepare for future

Edit, another: Schlabach: Missing out on a bowl hurts development

Then I stand corrected... to a point. It sounds like it helps the coaching staff more than the players. It's like an extra evaluation period I suppose. As for the players and the 15 extra practices carrying over to their development for next season, I don't think some of those coach's comments are quantifiable.

Practices for bowl games are usually glorified walk-throughs. I'm not sure an extra week or two of that is going to have any significant impact on a player's development. I'd argue that avoiding the injury risk of playing in a meaningless post-season game is more beneficial.

15 walk throughs? No. I think you're guessing here.

Really you are comparing a 1-2 week period where a team has an important game to a 4-5 week period where a team is playing an exhibition game? There won't even be a gameplan until mid week of the Bowl game. So what do you think teams do the 3.5 weeks prior to that? Jumping jacks?

3.5 weeks prior to what? You've lost me, sir. You seem to be proving my point for me.

15 walk throughs? No. I think you're guessing here.

Yeah, they're not all walkthroughs. The point was that we're not talking about intensive practice that is going to have any lasting impact on the players. If you can impact the development of a player in a week of, let's say, light-moderate practice and a week of walkthroughs, you're a genius coach.

Then I stand corrected... to a point. It sounds like it helps the coaching staff more than the players. It's like an extra evaluation period I suppose. As for the players and the 15 extra practices carrying over to their development for next season, I don't think some of those coach's comments are quantifiable.

You have to look at it in the context of this team, this year. Not just a generic overall view of what those practices might be to any team.

The team is learning entirely new systems on both sides of the ball. To think they are completely installed at this point is foolish. The players are still learning, and will still be learning in December. It's not like Alabama or FSU where the seniors have been getting reps in this system for 4-5 years.

Dino himself has said it would take 18 months to get everyone on the same page with the fully installed system. How in the world could 15 additional practices not help get us ahead of schedule?

Even if you were right and the practices are "walk throughs" (I disagree but that's beside the point), they will still teach the players to make the right reads, and make them faster. That's what's missing right now for some of them, and I suspect that will still be the case in December.

Yeah, they're not all walkthroughs. The point was that we're not talking about intensive practice that is going to have any lasting impact on the players. If you can impact the development of a player in a week of, let's say, light-moderate practice and a week of walkthroughs, you're a genius coach.

I don't think you're correct on that point. Who says they're all light to moderate practices?

Extending your season by an extra month...that's a long time.

You have to look at it in the context of this team, this year. Not just a generic overall view of what those practices might be to any team.

The team is learning entirely new systems on both sides of the ball. To think they are completely installed at this point is foolish. The players are still learning, and will still be learning in December. It's not like Alabama or FSU where the seniors have been getting reps in this system for 4-5 years.

Dino himself has said it would take 18 months to get everyone on the same page with the fully installed system. How in the world could 15 additional practices not help get us ahead of schedule?

Even if you were right and the practices are "walk throughs" (I disagree but that's beside the point), they will still teach the players to make the right reads, and make them faster. That's what's missing right now for some of them, and I suspect that will still be the case in December.

I think it's safe to say a bowl game is out of the picture this season. With that likelihood, then we're talking about the impact of a bowl game next season. We'll already have players by then with the 18 month requirement under their belt; all except the incoming Freshman. So, the question becomes, are bad games with worse attendance and no television exposure early in the season worth it for 15 extra days of practice and a bad bowl game with poor television exposure that nobody will watch?

It isn't a week. Our last three bowls we had in between our last game and the Bowl:

27 days
36 days
33 days

Your point that a week of practice won't make a difference is correct. But it is 15 practices spread over 4 weeks. That is like having another Spring practice. Instead of the Spring game at the end you have a Bowl game.

I think it's safe to say a bowl game is out of the picture this season. With that likelihood, then we're talking about the impact of a bowl game next season. We'll already have players by then with the 18 month requirement under their belt; all except the incoming Freshman. So, the question becomes, are bad games with worse attendance and no television exposure early in the season worth it for 15 extra days of practice and a bad bowl game with poor television exposure that nobody will watch?

Yes

Next question?

I don't think you're correct on that point. Who says they're all light to moderate practices?

Extending your season by an extra month...that's a long time.

It sounds like a long time, and coaches are going to want to get all the time they can, obviously, but I'm still doubtful that late season and postseason practices contribute as much as people think. Once you learn the stuff, it's a matter of repetition at that point. Once you hit the off-season, the benefits of the repetition gained in a two week period are wiped out, *in my experience. Some players might still be learning at the end of the season, but most - and probably all of the good ones - are just getting in extra reps. Two weeks of extra reps going into the off-season is not much. Two weeks of extra reps going into the regular season is a ton.

*My experience includes time watching DIII late/postseason practices and talking with a few friends who played DIII ball. I'm sure there are others here with considerably more experience. Maybe DI is astronomically different in this regard. I think the offensive and defensive schemes can get just as complex at both levels, but I could be wrong.

It isn't a week. Our last three bowls we had in between our last game and the Bowl:

27 days
36 days
33 days

Your point that a week of practice won't make a difference is correct. But it is 15 practices spread over 4 weeks. That is like having another Spring practice. Instead of the Spring game at the end you have a Bowl game.

Check out my other response a few posts above yours. There's a giant difference between practices at the start of the season and practices at the end of the season.

I'll compare it to lifting. If you start out lifting after not doing it before, or not doing it for a while, your gains in the first month or two will be huge. If you've been lifting for a while, that last month of lifting is not going to translate to big gains. Then, if you stop for a few months and get back to it, you've probably lost the gains from that last month, so there's little/no carryover. I'd say the same idea applies to extra practice reps.

You’re really showing your ignorance.

Bowl practices are used as spring ball. That first 7/8 practices underclassman and scout teamers are given huge reps, while starters and injured players are rested. They’re intensive. Game prep is the same as normal, the week leading up to the game.

Recruits are officially visiting campus in December when teams are practicing.

There’s extra money – no matter how small – and the players get a reward.

Anybody who say’s they’d rather be 2-2 instead of 3-1 should be banned.:crazy: ...I've seen some douzies but this one takes the cake.

Last edited:
I have to get back to work and feel like I've hijacked the thread already, so I'm out. It sounds like everybody likes the prospect of playing turd sandwiches and giant douches until we can learn to play a little football and I'm in the minority of wanting to play a couple teams that are like slightly soiled underwear (not ideal, but you do what you gotta do). So be it. I'm probably not alone, though, in that I'm not paying to watch a game against Villanova. Winning against teams that shouldn't be in the same stadium as Syracuse doesn't do much for me, in the same way playing a game of Madden on rookie difficulty isn't very enjoyable.

Bowl practices are used as spring ball. That first 7/8 practices underclassman and scout teamers are given huge reps, while starters and injured players are rested. They’re intensive. Game prep is the same as normal, the week leading up to the game.

Anybody who say’s they’d rather be 2-2 instead of 3-1 should be banned.:bat: ...I'm seen some douzies but this one takes the cake.
You're spot on regarding players not on the 2-deep.

It also gives them time to get back in the weight room and to heal up.

Anybody who say’s they’d rather be 2-2 instead of 3-1 should be banned.:bat: ...I'm seen some douzies but this one takes the cake.

Sorry I like to hold the team to a higher standard. Sorry I like to watch games worth watching. Maybe I'm psychotic for enjoying football games back in my playing days where we played a really good team and lost in a good game instead of when we won by 6 touchdowns against teams that probably shouldn't have fielded a varsity squad. My bad; I can see how I'm the scumbag.

Anyway, I'm out... for real this time haha.

Edit: Maybe I'm not done. First of all, backups are backups. They're not jumping from 4th string to starter in one season. If they are, they're certainly not doing it because they kicked a$$ for a couple weeks at the end of the season in practice. Ever cram for an exam and kill it? How well did you retain that knowledge a year later?

A bowl is not out question because 5-7 could get us into a bowl. They are so many freaking bowls that if we have a high enough APR we could get in at 5-7.
We definitely have 3 more winnable games on the schedule Wake, BC, NC State, and I would add Pitt and VPI just in case we got lucky. Until we lose 8 games a bowl is not out of the question this year.

I would say that it is more than 7-8 practices and likely 10-12. Game week of a Bowl is weird. Teams travel out earlier in the week than they normally would for a road game. Then that week they are going to all these events sponsored by the Bowl. I bet they only get 2-3 practices in during game week.

I have to get back to work and feel like I've hijacked the thread already, so I'm out. It sounds like everybody likes the prospect of playing turd sandwiches and giant douches until we can learn to play a little football and I'm in the minority of wanting to play a couple teams that are like slightly soiled underwear (not ideal, but you do what you gotta do). So be it. I'm probably not alone, though, in that I'm not paying to watch a game against Villanova. Winning against teams that shouldn't be in the same stadium as Syracuse doesn't do much for me, in the same way playing a game of Madden on rookie difficulty isn't very enjoyable.

And that's why teams like Alabama and FSU don't play teams like Chattanooga and Charleston Southern.

Oh, wait...what?

(BC's joke schedule aside) how would we be having played?

Howard -
@FIU -
@UCF
Purdue -

Maryland is 4-0 and receiving votes

We wouldn't know how Dino was faring against that schedule. At least we have measured the depth of this end of the pool.

But really, our schedule is ridiculous this year. The ACC ialignment is ridiculous. Add in our turn to Play Notre Dame and South Flroida suddenly getting good again and our record will not show how good we are - or might be by by the end of the year. Players, coaches and fans have to fight to not be discouraged.

Next year's OOC should be the template for the future.
1- FBS
2- G5 schools
1- P5 school(we have to play 1)

We should schedule to go 3-1 in the OOC. That way with BC/Wake/Pitt/NC State and 1 Coastal school we have a good chance at 6 wins.

I'd skip the extra P5 school. It only matters if you are trying to get to the playoffs, otherwise schedule wins as much as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom