Huggins Demands Reinstatement Threatens To Sue | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Huggins Demands Reinstatement Threatens To Sue

Don’t know the relationship but the final decision is up to the player. If he wanted to stay he would have. He chose the money.
Clearly he made a choice.

It's a lot different telling the same dude that's both your dad and business manager you're not listening to them because you know better.

So...who wrote the following?

MESSAGE FROM BOB HUGGINS TO THE WVU COMMUNITY

Mountaineer Nation:

Today, I have submitted a letter to President Gordon Gee and Vice President and Director of Athletics Wren Baker informing them of my resignation and intention to retire as head men’s basketball coach at West Virginia University effective immediately.

My recent actions do not represent the values of the University or the leadership expected in this role. While I have always tried to represent our University with honor, I have let all of you – and myself – down. I am solely responsible for my conduct and sincerely apologize to the University community – particularly to the student-athletes, coaches and staff in our program. I must do better, and I plan to spend the next few months focused on my health and my family so that I can be the person they deserve.

It has been the honor of my professional career to lead the men’s basketball program at my alma mater and I take great pride in our accomplishments. But I am most proud of the tremendous young men who chose to spend their formative years with us, and who have gone on to do great things with their lives.

I was born in Morgantown, graduated from West Virginia University and had the pleasure of coaching here for seventeen seasons as an assistant or head coach. It will always be my home, and I will always be a Mountaineer.

Thank you to everyone who has supported our program over the years. It has meant more to me and my family than you could ever know.

Sincerely,

Bob Huggins

His wife added the 'sincerely'.

I read that he had “completed” rehab, and now thinks he’s ready to be reinstated because he says he never “resigned”. Pretty short rehab. crazy stuff.
His DTs might not even be over at this point. He's been a crazy heavy drinker for many decades.

It's hard to imagine he can function day to day without drinking. He needs a long period of detox under supervision, or he's going right back the first time he gets in a room with alcohol.

Last edited:
Wow. The university seems to have had their ducks in a row. Huggins seems to have serious lawyer issues regarding who was even representing him. One thing I noticed is there didn’t seem to be any one on one contact between Huggins and the university in person, only his lawyers. Hmm. To be honest being arrested on the evening of June 16th and the shape the police said he was in (.21 intoxication level), I can’t imagine what shape he would have been on June 16, 17. He also had to have been dealing with the legal system in Pittsburgh to even be released, set up appearances, legal ramifications of his DWI in PA. etc.

It seems to me, he had lawyers who were representing his interests with WVU, and if it was without his knowledge, approval - his beef would be with them and his wife who sent the email. He met with the team on the 17th to tell them personally that he was no longer their coach. Took him 22 or 23 days to realize he hadn’t resigned? He didn’t show up for work in that timeframe? Why not if he didn’t resign? Crazy stuff for sure. Quite the mess but seems pretty clear cut, that he just changed his mind (probably money related) and wants a fight.(Interesting how many lawyers he has used to represent him too). What a way to end one’s career.

Did you read the thread? The fans don't want him back. He will never coach at WVU again. The question is only after this nonsense, will he ever be honored at WVU again?

DUI is like jay walking or returning a book late to the library in West Virginia. I wouldn't rule out him coaching there again especially if the program struggles without him.

That said hes fired on the spot for using a slur on a radio program at over 50% of D1 programs its all relative every single ACC or Pac 12 school fires him for that.

Regardless, I bet there will be a negotiated settlement. I imagine there needed to be something which necessitated like a signature by Huggins which had to be made in person or notarized or some other type of detail that wasn’t carried out to the ‘T’ by his use of an email resignation from his wife’s account, that was missed in the hurry by WVU to move on. I’d think WVU wants their name out of the news as quickly as possible.

Regardless, I bet there will be a negotiated settlement. I imagine there needed to be something which necessitated like a signature by Huggins which had to be made in person or notarized or some other type of detail that wasn’t carried out to the ‘T’ by his use of an email resignation from his wife’s account, that was missed in the hurry by WVU to move on. I’d think WVU wants their name out of the news as quickly as possible.
Even if he didn't "resign," seems like WVU is certainly justified to fire him with cause. I guess at that point, they have to determine if it's more beneficial, financially and otherwise, to go through the inevitable court process that will come from doing that or do a negotiated settlement.

Huggie bear mountain momma... Seriously the University should settle by making a donation to MAD and pay for Huggie to get some real help.

Huggie bear mountain momma... Seriously the University should settle by making a donation to MAD and pay for Huggie to get some real help.
Tom Waits put it best:

"I don't have a drinkin' problem, 'cept when I can't find a drink...'

This is my first post on this topic because while Huggins did this to himself, I felt sorry for him in a way. He's a guy who clearly has a problem, which doesn't mean he sucks as a human being. However now, after claiming he didn't resign, he's taking it to another level. He's appearing to be more scummy than I originally thought.

Unfortunately, we've seen others get away with this kind of lunacy before - often in politics. Just lie and deny and never admit any wrong doing no matter how clear the evidence is against you. I hope WVU stays strong and Huggins gets nothing more out of this. He's lucky he's not in jail or worse.

This is my first post on this topic because while Huggins did this to himself, I felt sorry for him in a way. He's a guy who clearly has a problem, which doesn't mean he sucks as a human being. However now, after claiming he didn't resign, he's taking it to another level. He's appearing to be more scummy than I originally thought.

Unfortunately, we've seen others get away with this kind of lunacy before - often in politics. Just lie and deny and never admit any wrong doing no matter how clear the evidence is against you. I hope WVU stays strong and Huggins gets nothing more out of this. He's lucky he's not in jail or worse.
Huggins and Gee really don't get along. Whatever poster mentioned that earlier is spot-on. He's not getting any favors from the president's office, especially given these new shenanigans.

It's a sad situation at WVU.
The only upside (for us anyway) is that it makes SU's dilemma in parting with a hall of fame coach look like nothing.
And all sides did a nice belated jpob in smoothing it over anyway.

A lot of inferences can be made about who got into Huggins' ear to challenge the resignation and demand a return.
The college president can't back down without making it clear that the tail wags the dog at WVU and he is powerless.

So, it seems 2 probable outcomes:

1. they quietly re$$olve the situation.

2. The President forcefully comes out with a statement saying WVU has moved on and (in so many words) hopes Huggins gets the help he needs. This ouitcome could also involve some loot for the ex-coach.

What a mess.
This screams to me that one of his daughter's and / or son in law got in his ear thinking of blown inheritance money. Hence the new lawyer.

Don't want to come off as pro-Huggins in any way - , but it seems that a month ago Huggins and / or via prior (or current?) lawyers handled himself with at least some class and dignity in a shameful situatiom.

But now money, and I suspect other parties concern for that money, comes to the front. The resignation happened so quick after the DUI, that others probably did not get input at the time.

Huggins and his lawyers know very well he isn't going to be reinstated. That is an impossibility. Obviously money is the goal here. Seems to me like he has already embarrassed himself enough - hard to believe he wants this re-hashed again. He's going to lose a lot of people's support and empathy by this ridiculous money grab.

The fact Huggins's attorney is from Lewis Brisbois is hilarious on its own. They've been in the news quite a bit the last few months. They're losing partners and clients left and right.
I had to Google search that. Wow they have been in the news lately :)