Hughes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hughes

Eli better than Tyus? I would say yes, but we did ask Tyus to basically carry us, certainly a better pro prospect based off shooting for sure.

I don't think there's any question that Hughes skill set is much more refined than Battle's -- and that's no knock against Tyus.

Hughes looks like the prototype the NBA covets in today's era of positionless basketball. He's a legit 6-6, he's athletic, he can shoot / handle / pass, and he can defend. I don't know where he'd get drafted, but I have little doubt that he'll get an opportunity to play in the League.

Eli is such a steady, hardworking player. Glad to have him.

Last night he got screwed on two bad calls down the stretch.

His three attempt with the shot clock expiring wasn’t close, but that’s a function of getting smacked on the forearm by the ND player (no call).

The OB call by Eades on the sideline was worse though.

A quick look at that out of bounds call shows it was the ND players foot that touched the line, not Hughes. So yes, I think he/we got screwed.

Eli’s ability to guard and outrebound bigger bodies reminds me a little bit...a little bit of a Marcus Smart type prospect.

I don't think there's any question that Hughes skill set is much more refined than Battle's -- and that's no knock against Tyus.

Hughes looks like the prototype the NBA covets in today's era of positionless basketball. He's a legit 6-6, he's athletic, he can shoot / handle / pass, and he can defend. I don't know where he'd get drafted, but I have little doubt that he'll get an opportunity to play in the League.
Well said RF. I think Battle would have looked more effective last year had the shooters of this year been on the team. Outside of Buddy who was only a freshman, TB played with 5 guys in the lane blocking his path. That took away his best skill set. That said, no doubt Elijah is the better shooter and I believe for the reasons you stated, will get a chance to play in the league.

He is a huge developmental win by the staff. Great player.

Eli’s biggest play of the game might not have been a bball play. In the last minute or 2, Quincy got fouled before he could get the ball to someone else and immediately knew that’s not what we wanted. He looked frazzled and apologetic as he walked to the FT line, like he thought he screwed up when really he had no time to get rid of the ball before ND fouled him. Eli walked up to Quincy and said something to calm him down and restore his confidence and focus. Quincy then buried both FTs. Great leadership.

Hughes has everything Battle didn’t. Obviously the 3 point shooting but he also will fight inside for rebounds and imo has a slightly better handle. But the big difference besides the shooting is his passing. He’s top 10 in the ACC in APG and among the top 15, he is the only non-guard.

Eli is better than Battle in pretty much every facet. I admit I wasn't Battle's biggest fan, but Eli is the better shooter, passer, rebounder. I don't think it's close.
Still think I'd give Battle the edge on defense, but I'm with you for everything else.

Eli’s biggest play of the game might not have been a bball play. In the last minute or 2, Quincy got fouled before he could get the ball to someone else and immediately knew that’s not what we wanted. He looked frazzled and apologetic as he walked to the FT line, like he thought he screwed up when really he had no time to get rid of the ball before ND fouled him. Eli walked up to Quincy and said something to calm him down and restore his confidence and focus. Quincy then buried both FTs. Great leadership.
I took that conversation slightly differently. Pretty sure Eli told him to make the free throws and next time get the ball to Joe.

Hughes creates opportunities for the team to succeed.

He’s got the attitude, toughness and leadership Syracuse has needed.

Eli might be the hardest player we’ve had to guard in over a decade. If you put a bigger by on him, easy blow by or step back 3. If it’s a smaller quicker guy, he has no problem posting up or taking him off the dribble with that sweet little spinning step back. You can’t send a double team to him because he’s a fantastic passer.

Waiters is the other guy that comes to mind recently. Maybe Flynn, CJ Fair, TyuS and KrisJo. But all of those guys had deficiencies (besides maybe Dion).

Eli is special

Does Hughes start on the all decade team 09/10 - ‘19/20 at the 3?

I've been saying this in the office for a while, and I think Ditota and Carlson are in this camp too, but Hughes is probably the most well-rounded player SU has had since Mike Gbinije.
Great call. Silent G gave me the same exact feeling as Eli. I just feel so confident every time he has the ball, his consistency to be good is amazing. To steal Dino’s quote Eli is not occasionally great, he is consistently good. That right there is so much more impressive in my eyes. Kid is a BALLER. NBA ready absolutely. He will be on a team next year.

Great call. Silent G gave me the same exact feeling as Eli. I just feel so confident every time he has the ball, his consistency to be good is amazing. To steal Dino’s quote Eli is not occasionally great, he is consistently good. That right there is so much more impressive in my eyes. Kid is a BALLER. NBA ready absolutely. He will be on a team next year.
Agree on all counts, except I think Eli is even better than Silent G.

In other news, Dino's "consistently good not occasionally great" has served me well leading a team of young engineers on a project I'm working on. It's such a brilliant and true adage; if he came up with it himself, he's a genius.

Eli is better than Battle in pretty much every facet. I admit I wasn't Battle's biggest fan, but Eli is the better shooter, passer, rebounder. I don't think it's close.

I'd take Elijah also. Loved G but mainly because of the deep ball, Elijah is much more likely to be able to put the team on his back and win you a game. G was a steady heady player that was versatile but not necessarily a difference maker.

I'd take Elijah also. Loved G but mainly because of the deep ball, Elijah is much more likely to be able to put the team on his back and win you a game. G was a steady heady player that was versatile but not necessarily a difference maker.
G was also MUCH better at clanking a dunk off the back of the rim.

Disagree wholeheartedly.

Gbinije was a big-time difference maker. He averaged 17.5 ppg and had 160 assists, all while playing outstanding defense and playing a position he had never played.

Only guys since 1992-93 to average at least 17 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal per game are: Gbinije ('15-16), Hughes (currently), Moten ('94-95), Burgan ('97-98), Autry ('93-94).

Unrelated, and I know there were other reasons people disliked him, but Todd Burgan is one of the more underrated players in SU history. At least in my opinion.

Elijah’s a better player and more NBA applicable than G, and G’s a top three favorite for me.

G’s greatness rests in his versatility, he saved our butts making the transition to a point guard and please save us type scorer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom