I Finally Watched "The Express" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I Finally Watched "The Express"

The West Virginia thing was originally going to be a North Carolina thing. The writer had heard some kind of incident took place there so he was going to have SU play UNC. Somebody pointed out that we never played UNC until 1995. So he changed it to West Virginia, the southernmost team we played that year before Texas.

I've always felt that the Ernie Davis story required no embellishment, certainly not one that libeled an entire state. The film also focused on racism much more than his brave battle against cancer. Both were equal parts of his story. I would also have like to seen more about Ernie's relationship with Jim Brown and his recruitment of Floyd Little, which is an interesting story in itself.

Last edited:
Give me both. Different experiences and expectations going in.

I just know that if Hollywood made a movie about a player at another school, and they invented a scene where Syracuse fans acted racist towards that player and it didn't actually happen in real life, I would be very upset.

I just know that if Hollywood made a movie about a player at another school, and they invented a scene where Syracuse fans acted racist towards that player and it didn't actually happen in real life, I would be very upset.
It didn't happen in 1959. But SU played at WVa in 1960. I bet it was unpleasant then.

In addition, Jim Brown played at Morgantown in 1955, and he was a consultant on the film. Some of his experiences may have been reflected in the final on-screen product.

I don't think there is a historical movie that is completely factually accurate, if they were most people wouldn't watch them.

In 8th grade out social studies teacher showed us the Civil War movie "Glory". She said the only historical inaccuracies were something about how they got paid and that a kid was wearing a modern watch in a scene.

3417.jpg

Maybe I'm boring, but this is why when it comes to non-fiction I prefer documentaries over movies. I just want to know what happened. I don't want to come out of the movie having to research what is authentic and what isn't. Give me a Ken Burns documentary over a movie like the The Express all day long.

Watch the ESPN Top 50 athlete thing on Davis. I'd rather the theatre just had shown that instead.

It didn't happen in 1959. But SU played at WVa in 1960. I bet it was unpleasant then.

In addition, Jim Brown played at Morgantown in 1955, and he was a consultant on the film. Some of his experiences may have been reflected in the final on-screen product.

The movie showed Ben pulling his black players because if they scored, there would have been a riot. I recall looking it up and in the 1960 game, there were 6 touchdowns scored by SU's black players.

Wasn't that scene somewhat true, just from a different year? And while racism exists everywhere, it's not exactly a leap to suggest West Virginia had some issues during that time. I don't remember - did WVU fans pitch a fit?

Wasn't that scene somewhat true, just from a different year? And while racism exists everywhere, it's not exactly a leap to suggest West Virginia had some issues during that time. I don't remember - did WVU fans pitch a fit?

Yes they did, and with good reason.

Fun Fact: Syracuse federal court judge Norman Mordue ( the guy in my avatar) was recruited by Ernie Davis to play at Syracuse. When I met Norm in a New Jersey hotel bar, where this picture was taken, before a Rutgers game a few years ago, he told me many stories of his recruitment and of Syracuse football. Fascinating guy. Google him. He's a war hero as well.

His nephew posts here as well. I can't think of his handle right now though.

Yes they did, and with good reason.

Which is what?

"We did have racism on and around our football team, but that one was fabricated!"

"This fictional account took liberties with it's fiction!"

I always bring this up, but I can't get over Davis' family watching the Orange Bowl on their porch in Elmira. It must have been an uncommonly warm January day. ;)

In 8th grade out social studies teacher showed us the Civil War movie "Glory". She said the only historical inaccuracies were something about how they got paid and that a kid was wearing a modern watch in a scene.

3417.jpg

Glory is ony of my all time favorite movies, it is pretty accurate.

Which is what?

"We did have racism on and around our football team, but that one was fabricated!"

"This fictional account took liberties with it's fiction!"

But it wasn't based on anything that happened at West Virginia. In the original script it was at North Carolina, a team we didn't play until decades later. it's a total fabrication. There were several accounts from both SU and West Virginia people that nothing like what was depicted in the film ever happened there.

The Express - Wikipedia

Slander against North Carolina - IMDb

Slander against West Virginia - IMDb

Teammates say 'The Express' changes history

Last edited:
But it wasn't based on anything that happened at West Virginia. In the original script it was at North Carolina, a team we didn't play until decades later. it's a total fabrication. There were several accounts from both SU and West Virginia people that nothing like what was depicted in the film ever happened there.

The Express - Wikipedia

Slander against North Carolina - IMDb

Slander against West Virginia - IMDb

Teammates say 'The Express' changes history

I hear you. I just think sometimes with history as fiction movies - you ask the question "is it possible" not "did it happen"... That said, it probably could have been handled better..

Have you seen top gun or goodfellas?

Top Gun--Filmed at Hancock Field.
Goodfellas--Filmed on N. Salina Street
Fact.
You read it here first. On the internet. Fact.

Top Gun--Filmed at Hancock Field.
Goodfellas--Filmed on N. Salina Street
Fact.
You read it here first. On the internet. Fact.

Come on! no way!?

Reactions: FAL
Fun Fact: Syracuse federal court judge Norman Mordue ( the guy in my avatar) was recruited by Ernie Davis to play at Syracuse. When I met Norm in a New Jersey hotel bar, where this picture was taken, before a Rutgers game a few years ago, he told me many stories of his recruitment and of Syracuse football. Fascinating guy. Google him. He's a war hero as well.

His nephew posts here as well. I can't think of his handle right now though.
For the last year I've been trying to figure out which one was you in your pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom