I have been assured... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I have been assured...

That's good news.

And we all hope their won't be any forfeitures or sanctions.
But whether there are or not, as an alum & fan I'm embarrassed that an institution to which I have such a strong personal tie would be involved in something like this. At its core, this isn't about the players. It's about the institution.

And it doesn't help that Boeheim's quote to Yahoo, that he doesn't know anything about it, seems likely to be completely false. SU's policy apparently required the notification of the head coach.

People can say that the national championship is safe and the current team isn't involved... so who cares? But are people who feel that way really concerned about SU beyond some narrow rooting interest...beyond the W's & L's?

Is there any real Orange pride here? Do we stand for anything beyond a good team?

Personally, I think it's unrealistic to expect an entire basketball team year-in and year-out to be perfect angels, and to hold each player to a higher standard than your average college student is unfair and pointless.

Any college that pretends that their athletes are better-behaved and/or morally superior to the average coed is completely phony.

Jake, will any wins get vacated? I really want JB to get to an unreachable 2nd...

Let's be honest, if 2003 is in the clear with 3 specific players we are all thinking of on that team, I'm not too worried about anything else.
GMac, Forth, and Duany?

Not really. Just speaking for me
exactly. i wish the football team had these problems.

when they do, weve hit the big time baby!!

Oh Lord

That's good news.

And we all hope their won't be any forfeitures or sanctions.
But whether there are or not, as an alum & fan I'm embarrassed that an institution to which I have such a strong personal tie would be involved in something like this. At its core, this isn't about the players. It's about the institution.

And it doesn't help that Boeheim's quote to Yahoo, that he doesn't know anything about it, seems likely to be completely false. SU's policy apparently required the notification of the head coach.

People can say that the national championship is safe and the current team isn't involved... so who cares? But are people who feel that way really concerned about SU beyond some narrow rooting interest...beyond the W's & L's?

Is there any real Orange pride here? Do we stand for anything beyond a good team?

We don't even know what SU did wrong. We have no clue what JB said he didn't know. Those two hacks from yahoo didn't relay the exact question they asked JB. Perhaps they asked him a question that JB literally didn't know. Of course that wouldn't allow them to accomplish their obvious goal of embarrassing JB and SU.

If more turns up then I will evaluate my feelings of SU, but at this point I'm going to withhold judgment since it would only be based off of a second rate news organization that specializes in digging up minor from sources of questionable integrity.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

exactly. i wish the football team had these problems.

when they do, weve hit the big time baby!!

Oh Lord

exactly, that is what I have been saying for years... nobody seems to care here about it when it comes to basketball but when it's football, with 85 guys we need to be clean, etc etc.

What if a player gets a 2nd violation, then dresses/practices/warms-up ... but JB just never puts him in the game as sort of a 'low-key' suspension? The latter has happened spontaneously numerous times every season, who is to say that a few weren't intentional.

Too many questions remain until we know who, what, and when.

IMO, even if marijuana were legal , I think that the players in question are still rockheaded morons. Smoking anything mid or within a month of the season is flat out stupid. No quicker way to get out of shape than to smoke up & feed the munchies. I played D1 and did more than my share of toking ... but never during or right before a season. Common sense.

Yeah. A part time professor at SU thinks they should be canned. He apparently has Cantor's ear.

BTW, on a serious note, anyone else think that if something like this did happen, that it was Bernie who was on the front lines and handled it? He seems to have been the glorified team manager and it's strange that the timeframe involved is the time after JB and Bernie had their professional falling out.

Too "conspiracy theory" of me?

I hope this is so. SU should then just put out a press release firing Bernie Fine again.

That's good news.

I think you are being overly critical of his response. These are not prepared comments, its the answer to a question that he was hit with, and may not have been prepared to respond to. We already know that JB doesn't handle criticism well, I'm sure he feels a bit like he is under siege. If you read the whole thing and don't just parse and read literally the "I have no idea" portion, it reads as a no comment to me. They printed the whole answer because they thought it would paint JB in a negative light.

"Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim, who has guided the current Syracuse team to a 30-1 record and No. 2 national record, had earlier declined to comment when contacted by Y! Sports.
“I don’t know anything about it,” Boeheim said. “I would not comment on anything like that. Good luck with your story.”
Asked if he had any knowledge of an NCAA investigation, Boeheim again declined comment. “Obviously, I’m not going to talk about anything at all,” he said."

As for the indignation at the "stain" on the University......this isn't something new. It has always been the case that there are good apples, bad apples and regular apples in the bunch. We have a good number of players that are exemplary and shining examples (the Duanys, Forths, Warricks etc. - someone like CTO who knows the players personally could probably cite even better examples), a number that fall in the middle - good kids who act like any other kid in college and a number that will do things that ultimately cause the program some embarrassment (Hawkins/Payton, Josh Wright, DeShaun Williams etc.).

When you dig at any school that is competing at this level this is what the program will look like. It isn't any different than any other program or the general student body for that matter. The real difference between the program and the student body itself is that the problems get covered in the media when Joe Poly Sci major goes out and pops Otto in the teeth after getting drunk, or a group of frat pledges has the bright idea of stealing and selling meal/phone cards, they get dealt with out of the public eye.

I don't expect the players to be perfect. However, if we are going to have a policy in place, we should enforce it. I also believe if Boeheim didn't know about it, it's because he didn't want to know about it. Does this mean I think we should get hit with heavy sanctions? No. But if the allegations are true, the problem isn't that Yahoo reported it or even that the policy may be unfair. It's that we chose to ignore our own policy.

Jake, will any wins get vacated? I really want JB to get to an unreachable 2nd...

Let's be honest, if 2003 is in the clear with 3 specific players we are all thinking of on that team, I'm not too worried about anything else.

Some of '04 and '05 may be at risk.

Part of the policy is that the head coach must be notified, so if he really didn't know about it then that's worse since that would mean even further deviation from policy.

Some of '04 and '05 may be at risk.

Doobie McCrosky? If I had to make a list of my most likely's ... he would definitely be top 3. But Mookie Watkins wouldn't be a surprise either... he was always the mellow type.

General question about vacating wins? If wins are vacated:
1) Do those wins also get deducted from Coach's record? If yes, are they then losses, or just wins deducted?
2)Say, hypothetically, a player breaks a team record for rebounds in a game that is later vacated that the team won...Does the player lose that statistical record/stat, or is it simply a win gone from the record books?

General question about vacating wins? If wins are vacated:
1) Do those wins also get deducted from Coach's record? If yes, are they then losses, or just wins deducted?
2)Say, hypothetically, a player breaks a team record for rebounds in a game that is later vacated that the team won...Does the player lose that statistical record/stat, or is it simply a win gone from the record books?

1a) i think so
1b) i don't think so
2) i don't know

"Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim, who has guided the current Syracuse team to a 30-1 record and No. 2 national record, had earlier declined to comment when contacted by Y! Sports.
“I don’t know anything about it,” Boeheim said. “I would not comment on anything like that. Good luck with your story.”
Asked if he had any knowledge of an NCAA investigation, Boeheim again declined comment. “Obviously, I’m not going to talk about anything at all,” he said."

sounds like JB was saying he didnt know anything about they yahoo story specifically. then he wished them luck. that was nice.

JB has been nothing but class through this whole thing. Any man who would wish a news outlet good luck when trying to bring down his program is a saint. JB loves all...except for Laurie Fine.

exactly, that is what I have been saying for years... nobody seems to care here about it when it comes to basketball but when it's football, with 85 guys we need to be clean, etc etc.
It wouldn't bother me of JB knew a little bit more of what was going on in his player's lives. His philosophy of "I'm only a basketball coach" is proving to be just a bit too distant.

It wouldn't bother me of JB knew a little bit more of what was going on in his player's lives. His philosophy of "I'm only a basketball coach" is proving to be just a bit too distant.

because an assistant coach allegedly molested children?
because college kids smoked pot?

umm... being less distant would NEVER change a. how weird the 1st part is and b. that COLLEGE KIDS smoked pot.

something like what? a bunch of college kids smoking pot & possibly other recreational drugs? What decade do you think we are living in, Granpa Simpson?

or, do you think that the athletes should be held to a separate standard from other students? It's ok for the average college kid to get a little bent, but not the ball players? They have to sacrifice their youth and the college experience so that you can feel . . . righteous about them?

I used to think you were just an unctuous moralist. Increasingly, I think you might actually be insane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom