I kind of feel bad for Hopkins | Syracusefan.com

I kind of feel bad for Hopkins

Eric15

Living Legend
I know some don't like his substitution patterns or is not using his timeouts at certain times, but outside of that, I just kind of feel bad for him on a personal level.

He's been waiting his entire coaching life for this moment, but unfortunately he was handed arguably SU's worst team of the past 30 years for this 9 game stretch.

Basically, I still have complete faith in his ability as a head coach and I hope people don't get discouraged with him in any way, shape or form.

Outside of putting Kaleb Joseph in the game, he didn't make any glaring errors. KJ just can't play at this level. Patriot league maybe.

Outside of putting Kaleb Joseph in the game, he didn't make any glaring errors. KJ just can't play at this level. Patriot league maybe.

With Howard out and no other guards on the team, he had to put him in though. Joseph has mostly struggled in his career, but he's never been as bad as he was today.

I know some don't like his substitution patterns or is not using his timeouts at certain times, but outside of that, I just kind of feel bad for him on a personal level.

He's been waiting his entire coaching life for this moment, but unfortunately he was handed arguably SU's worst team of the past 30 years for this 9 game stretch.

Basically, I still have complete faith in his ability as a head coach and I hope people don't get discouraged with him in any way, shape or form.

I don't feel bad for him at all.

But I do think this experience, tough as it might be, will somehow help him when it is his show. I really think it will.

I don't feel bad for him at all.

Not even a little? Hopkins is a great person and bleeds orange, and you know he desperately wants to hand this team back to his mentor in good shape. But we just don't have the horses this year to get it done.

I agree. I watched him a couple times on the bench and he was going out of his mind because the guys on the floor (and mostly our starters) weren't running the sets right and people were out of position. They should be much better than this, but there are a couple guys who don't seem to have very high BBall IQs.

You can't judge Hop here. This isn't his team. He's not even interim head coach to finish the season like we see when coaches get fired, he's coaching someone else's team on borrowed time.

I believe Hop will coach and recruit differently than Boeheim. Quite honestly, I'm ready for it. Aside from years like we hope we have next year, the 100% insistence on zone is hurting us both in game and recruiting/keeping players.

Aside from MCW or Ennis we rarely have a true point guard and when we do, they leave as a fresh or soph because they have NBA bodies. We also never adjust to games like today where we could pressure the ball with hand checking and physical play but we never did because we sat back in a zone.

I like being long and athletic and playing zone... Just not all the time.

I also like playing more than 6.5 players per game.

I believe Hop will coach and recruit differently than Boeheim.

Lots of people on here have made this claim before, and I'm just curious why people think that it is true. He's one of main recruiters, is he not?

And one of the best in the country...but he's recruiting for HC Jim Boeheim, not HC Mike Hopkins

Yeah, and I get that, but do we have any idea what players HC Hop would want that JB passed on? That's what I'm talking about. We just have no information to back up what you are saying (and I'm trying not to point this at you LIC, it's a contention made many times here).

Yeah, and I get that, but do we have any idea what players HC Hop would want that JB passed on? That's what I'm talking about. We just have no information to back up what you are saying (and I'm trying not to point this at you LIC, it's a contention made many times here).
I've read that he's not committed to the zone and that leads me to believe he would recruit some players that we maybe don't right now.

I've read that he's not committed to the zone and that leads me to believe he would recruit some players that we maybe don't right now.

Thank you. Great answer with info I had not heard before.

With Howard out and no other guards on the team, he had to put him in though. Joseph has mostly struggled in his career, but he's never been as bad as he was today.
Speaking of bad, What has happened to Roberson? He lost a ball dribbling near no one, the didn't even run back on d. And that ignores the 5 or more lay ups he missed.

Speaking of bad, What has happened to Roberson? He lost a ball dribbling near no one, the didn't even run back on d. And that ignores the 5 or more lay ups he missed.

No intensity or desire I can see. He looks like the classic player who doesn't actually enjoy the game.

Not even a little? Hopkins is a great person and bleeds orange, and you know he desperately wants to hand this team back to his mentor in good shape. But we just don't have the horses this year to get it done.

I don't. He's been prepping for this for years, people knew there would be a nine-game suspension this year, albeit it was handed down in a stupid manner from Indianapolis.

The awful loss at St John's...no excuses. It's not like Chris Mullin was freaking playing that game. We have the horses to beat people like the Red Storm and G'Town and haven't, unlike some Division II teams or bottom-feeding D1ers.

Still not writing off the season by any stretch.

Seriously. He belongs on the bench.

It sucks because he seems to have all the physical tools. The shot he took from the foul line looked great and went in and out, but his brain gets in the way. He needs to just catch and release in that situation, and then crash the board hard.

He is the only one who hits the offensive boards though, and that's what leads me to believe there is a player in there somewhere. I have no clue if the current coaching staff can help him find it. Maybe he'll be another Rak-like revelation his last year.

I don't feel sorry for him in the least. He's getting a taste of doing something he's dreamed about for a long time (and will soon be doing full-time). If anyone is discouraged with him, it's their problem, and I'm sure of no concern to Hop. I would guess nothing that has happened in JB's absence has or will shake Hop's confidence, and that he would laugh at the notion that we should feel sorry for him.

the sooner jb leaves the better---hop will need 5yrs ---jb is nothing more than a distraction at this point--we will (and have started the decline)but can rally with a few signature wins. at this point it does not look good.

Lots of people on here have made this claim before, and I'm just curious why people think that it is true. He's one of main recruiters, is he not?

After the Flynn teams, JB started prioritizing recruiting for the zone.

I think Hop will 1) not be as committed to the zone (as noted above) and 2) expand our recruiting reach significantly. Hop, I feel, will be more of a national road warrior in terms of recruiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom