I kind of feel bad for Hopkins | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I kind of feel bad for Hopkins

i have one--u need the same grip for reality of the importance of su hoops-- outside the city limits--we are losing our influence and have been in past 3 yrs.
I'm guessing you really do think you know what you're talking about. At least you've got that going for you.

I feel bad for Hop because we didn't have Frank today. We needed him. G cannot handle that kind of ball pressure and Joseph just isn't good enough yet.

Although Hop didn't play Frank enough against Pitt IMO so I guess he hasn't proven that he would use him enough to warrant me feeling bad for him in this scenario

the sooner jb leaves the better---hop will need 5yrs ---jb is nothing more than a distraction at this point--we will (and have started the decline)but can rally with a few signature wins. at this point it does not look good.

5 years? That's insane. We don't even give football coaches 5 years.

Basketball coaches taking over an elite program, 2 years tops. Especially those who've been in the program for 25 years. Hopkins leash should be shorter and Syracuse can't afford to play .500 ball. 1 recruiting class, 2 tops, freshman can win in hoops, 1 player can be a difference maker.

Not his team, poor talent. Please. It's the coaching staff's job to develop it. There's 2 McDonald's All Americans on this team and GBinije is a 1st rounder.

Basketball coaches taking over an elite program, 2 years tops. Especially those who've been in the program for 25 years. Hopkins leash should be shorter and Syracuse can't afford to play .500 ball. 1 recruiting class, 2 tops, freshman can win in hoops, 1 player can be a difference maker.

Not his team, poor talent. Please. It's the coaching staff's job to develop it. There's 2 McDonald's All Americans on this team and GBinije is a 1st rounder.

Sorry, but Gbinije is not a first rounder. Not even close, unless you're talking about the D-League draft.

Love the kid and think he's the best player on the team right now, but he's not a 1st round NBA Draft choice.

tipphill said:
i have one--u need the same grip for reality of the importance of su hoops-- outside the city limits--we are losing our influence and have been in past 3 yrs.

I'm not sure that was your original point or not, but as someone who gets travel a lot and see games in lots of other places with other types of fans, this is very true in my opinion.

44cuse

Lots of people on here have made this claim before, and I'm just curious why people think that it is true. He's one of main recruiters, is he not?

You don't think that JB directs the recruiting? I guarantee you that JB directs the strategy in terms of what they are looking for when recruiting. Hop and others may have the flexibility to identify players that fit the strategy, but they don't have the autonomy to say we should start recruiting 5'10" guards with short arms.

When Hop takes over it will be all him...what he does with the autonomy will be anyone's guess.

Speaking of bad, What has happened to Roberson? He lost a ball dribbling near no one, the didn't even run back on d. And that ignores the 5 or more lay ups he missed.

He has been absolutely terrible this season. I mean a couple of good games here and there, but the way he is playing I think he looks like a guy who should be getting about 10 minute per game, yet he his getting 32+. I expected that he would take a jump this year offensively, but I feel like he looks worse this year than last.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that was your original point or not, but as someone who gets travel a lot and see games in lots of other places with other types of fans, this is very true in my opinion.

44cuse

As an example. In past years Syracuse games that were available were shown in the Philadelphia market. Yesterday's game was available on the ABC affiliate and was listed as being on one of their over the air digital channels, but the main ABC station (the one that cable providers carry) showed X games.

You don't think that JB directs the recruiting? I guarantee you that JB directs the strategy in terms of what they are looking for when recruiting. Hop and others may have the flexibility to identify players that fit the strategy, but they don't have the autonomy to say we should start recruiting 5'10" guards with short arms.

When Hop takes over it will be all him...what he does with the autonomy will be anyone's guess.

I completely agree with your last statement. But many others on here are speaking like they already know what Hop will look for in a player once the time comes, but as you say, it really is just a guess. The guy has been in JB's system for so long, and has recruited that specific style of player for so long, that it concerns me that we will continue down the exact same path. I guess I would like to see whatever Hop has said about the future and see if there are some clues there like longislandcuse was saying.

You can't judge Hop here. This isn't his team. He's not even interim head coach to finish the season like we see when coaches get fired, he's coaching someone else's team on borrowed time.

I believe Hop will coach and recruit differently than Boeheim. Quite honestly, I'm ready for it. Aside from years like we hope we have next year, the 100% insistence on zone is hurting us both in game and recruiting/keeping players.

Aside from MCW or Ennis we rarely have a true point guard and when we do, they leave as a fresh or soph because they have NBA bodies. We also never adjust to games like today where we could pressure the ball with hand checking and physical play but we never did because we sat back in a zone.

I like being long and athletic and playing zone... Just not all the time.

I also like playing more than 6.5 players per game.
Flynn to Scoop to MCW to Ennis. We haven't in the last 2 years, but that wouldn't qualify as "rarely" to me

Sorry, but Gbinije is not a first rounder. Not even close, unless you're talking about the D-League draft.

For what its worth, NBAdraft.net has him going #30 in the 1st round to Golden State (which definitely surprised me). I personally think he will end up having a very solid career overseas.

not his team poor talent speaks to my point. we are in the DECLINE. there has been drop off in talent already--- with him there. we are BORDERLINE ELITE--if that!!! don't let the media etal fool u. there are hoops outside the city limits, and as far as "elite" teams go --we have dropped off that list--

I know some don't like his substitution patterns or is not using his timeouts at certain times, but outside of that, I just kind of feel bad for him on a personal level.

He's been waiting his entire coaching life for this moment, but unfortunately he was handed arguably SU's worst team of the past 30 years for this 9 game stretch.

Basically, I still have complete faith in his ability as a head coach and I hope people don't get discouraged with him in any way, shape or form.
I don't feel bad for him as he has been here for many,many years and is a big part of the recruiting that goes on and he will not change a thing during this time.

I know some don't like his substitution patterns or is not using his timeouts at certain times, but outside of that, I just kind of feel bad for him on a personal level.

He's been waiting his entire coaching life for this moment, but unfortunately he was handed arguably SU's worst team of the past 30 years for this 9 game stretch.

Basically, I still have complete faith in his ability as a head coach and I hope people don't get discouraged with him in any way, shape or form.
I'm not one to judge, and don't take this personal, but I am surprised that 17 people like your comments. Future Head Coach Hop is not JAB but right now Assistant Coach Hop is a huge extension of JAB. It's hard to say what JAB's record would have been the last eight games. Would he have won any games that Hop didn't. It's hard even to speculate.

I think it's actually better to challenge Hop like this. I'm sure he and JAB will have some interesting conversations starting next Wednesday, if they haven't already (wink, wink!!!). Anyone can coach vs Podunk State. That's not a lesson for Hop. This might be the best thing that could happen to Hop. Learn and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom