I like so many things that are happening right now | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I like so many things that are happening right now

Agree Ishmael will have a bigger role, and agree Babers will eventually recruit talented WRs to give us depth at the position. The question for next season in replacing AET and Estime is deep speed. This 2016 offense has made hay with long TDs, and these two have led the way. Who replaces that deep speed?

And that brings me back to the idea of "time in system". AET did not need time in system -- he was brought in over the summer and was excellent right away. Next season, we will be starting two new WRs. Time in system needed, or if talented, we are good?

Butler and Custis have both showed some things in practice. Some of the incoming freshman are bigger and faster than what we've had.

I wouldn't worry about WR at all.

the fact the Butler/Riley are seeing some time ahead of almost all the Older kids bodes well that talent can get you on the field and Custis was pre season by the coaches own admission have a great run. thats 3 kids who have a shot at stepping in who will know the system and leaves some room for the FR who may fill the Riley/Butler role this year.

Anyone know what Perkins issue is? He is another slot kid who looked decent running the ball who may be able to fill the Brisley role if he can catch

Custis should be the replacement for AT. Riley for Est. Fully expect Butler to contribute along with a frosh or two. We should be fine.

It was pretty eye opening that we played about as sloppy a game as possible between the drops, penalties, turnovers and defense completely taking off a play - giving up a TD and after all that, we were still able to win and I was really never worried.

I think we can absolutely beat NC State and Pitt and while I don't think we'll win, I'd give us a punchers chance against Clemson/FSU. I guarantee you that those two teams and their fan bases aren't laughing us off as an easy win anymore.

Custis should be the replacement for AT. Riley for Est. Fully expect Butler to contribute along with a frosh or two. We should be fine.

Maybe. Seems to me that you and others are just listing names of average Joes, assuming they can replace one of the best receivers we have ever had (AET) and one of the fastest receivers on the team.

Custis has played some, and shown a little in Spring games -- he would have to make major strides to be in AET's league. I expect we do have candidates for Estime's spot, and it might be the best role for Moe Neal. Still, we are guessing about the progress of players who have yet to make much of a mark, and I believe you are under-estimating the receiver combination we have now.

I see no one on this roster that can replace the strength and speed of AET. Losing 2 of the biggest deep threats is going to hurt unless someone steps up big time that I haven't seen enough of. That said...I am going to enjoy these 2 for the next 5 games.

Maybe. Seems to me that you and others are just listing names of average Joes, assuming they can replace one of the best receivers we have ever had (AET) and one of the fastest receivers on the team.

Custis has played some, and shown a little in Spring games -- he would have to make major strides to be in AET's league. I expect we do have candidates for Estime's spot, and it might be the best role for Moe Neal. Still, we are guessing about the progress of players who have yet to make much of a mark, and I believe you are under-estimating the receiver combination we have now.
That's fair, but then again when you lose a Marvin Harrison, you don't really replace him, you just give way to Kevin Johnson.

AET us having a brilliant year. Lots of guys will need to step up, but the cupboard is nowhere near as bare next season as you seem to suggest.

Any possible ET type 5th year or JUCO guys out there or is that only sorted out after the season and everything?

I'd imagine we could probably pick and choose who we want as long as we have ET and Dino pay them a visit.

Any possible ET type 5th year or JUCO guys out there or is that only sorted out after the season and everything?

I'd imagine we could probably pick and choose who we want as long as we have ET and Dino pay them a visit.

I thought they pretty much had their limit of wr's in the class?

I think Butler is a more viable option to replace AET than Custis. We have seen virtually nothing from Custis, he's been hurt a lot and I don't think he has the high-end speed necessary to play that role.

Butler was a track athlete in HS and was a D1 prospect in that sport. In fact, I believe he may run at SU?

In any event, Butler is the guy I'm most excited to see perform and get a chance to play a lot next year. Intrigued by Womack, too. I like his measureables. Plus the incoming freshmen.

This would be another route I'd expect the staff to go, given how things worked out with AET.

Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see us go after a WR, a S, DE, and possibly a TE.

Butler and Custis have both showed some things in practice. Some of the incoming freshman are bigger and faster than what we've had.

I wouldn't worry about WR at all.

We are going to be fine. Babers knows just the type of WR this system needs to continue to operate at a high level. I absolutely love the kids we have committed for next year. Nice mix of slot types (Erv, Salt Badger) and outside WR's (EAT, Ish).

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Neal and Strickland transitioned to the slot, a la Erv, and go hard after a couple of stud HS/JC/PG RB's. I think Strickland is best catching the ball and has shown he can be dynamic at that position. Neal seems best suited for the slot as well. Having Dungey back for another 2 years will help the transition with some of these young guys. Future is bright as ever.

It was pretty eye opening that we played about as sloppy a game as possible between the drops, penalties, turnovers and defense completely taking off a play - giving up a TD and after all that, we were still able to win and I was really never worried.

I think we can absolutely beat NC State and Pitt and while I don't think we'll win, I'd give us a punchers chance against Clemson/FSU. I guarantee you that those two teams and their fan bases aren't laughing us off as an easy win anymore.
Actually its interesting to see what Dino might do with 2 weeks to plan against Clemson on both sides of the ball.

You getting a massage that you won as first prize for being the million viewer to watch NASTY WOMAN RUB YOU TIL YOU ARE VERRY HAPPY?

AET was a middling WR for a middling team this time last year. Nobody - NOBODY - saw this season coming.

Dino made his mark as a WR coach before becoming a head coach. He has a proven eye for talent at the position, a proven ability to coach up/develop WR talent, and an incredibly WR friendly system with a proven trigger man in Dungey going forward. If there is one position on this team going forward I'm not worried about, it is WR.

AET was a middling WR for a middling team this time last year. Nobody - NOBODY - saw this season coming.

Dino made his mark as a WR coach before becoming a head coach. He has a proven eye for talent at the position, a proven ability to coach up/develop WR talent, and an incredibly WR friendly system with a proven trigger man in Dungey going forward. If there is one position on this team going forward I'm not worried about, it is WR.

Not so sure about that. AET had a strong RS-F season at Maryland, including a 100 yard game against us. He fell back the next two years, because Maryland had 4-star recruits playing ahead of him. It is the perfect situation for a grad transfer -- a talented kid, underutilized at his current school. AET wanted to transfer and play in the Babers offense -- SU was delighted to take him. He did not need a lot of coaching up -- was only here in August, had an impact right away, and was immediately good in our games. Size, speed, strength, knowledge of the position. Have to believe Babers & his coaches knew what they were getting.

Dino has landed WR recruits and will certainly upgrade each year. But if you look at what we have for 2017 -- it isn't easy to see where we will field 2 replacements for AET and Estime. Who among our back-ups, or who among our committed recruits, can fill that bill?

Riley does not seem like a play maker based on what he's done on special teams.

Not so sure about that. AET had a strong RS-F season at Maryland, including a 100 yard game against us. He fell back the next two years, because Maryland had 4-star recruits playing ahead of him. It is the perfect situation for a grad transfer -- a talented kid, underutilized at his current school. AET wanted to transfer and play in the Babers offense -- SU was delighted to take him. He did not need a lot of coaching up -- was only here in August, had an impact right away, and was immediately good in our games. Size, speed, strength, knowledge of the position. Have to believe Babers & his coaches knew what they were getting.

Dino has landed WR recruits and will certainly upgrade each year. But if you look at what we have for 2017 -- it isn't easy to see where we will field 2 replacements for AET and Estime. Who among our back-ups, or who among our committed recruits, can fill that bill?

Is there another AET out there sitting on the bench at a powerhouse waiting to join the new fast? Maybe you can't catch lightning twice I don't know.

You're underrating the system and coaching. His first response after the Colgate game was to praise the WR coaching for teaching him new things and for putting him in the position to succeed.

Erv and Estime both have had massive improvements in catching the ball.

Also, at this point last year we didn't even know this guy existed.

Butler and Custis on the roster. Neal in the slot. All of the committed WR's are perfect for the system. The amount of reps they get in practice will set them up to get playing time.

You're underrating the system and coaching. His first response after the Colgate game was to praise the WR coaching for teaching him new things and for putting him in the position to succeed.

Erv and Estime both have had massive improvements in catching the ball.

Also, at this point last year we didn't even know this guy existed.

Butler and Custis on the roster. Neal in the slot. All of the committed WR's are perfect for the system. The amount of reps they get in practice will set them up to get playing time.
I expect Butler to really step-up next year. Very good size and great speed on the outside.

Are any of the current WR recruits early enrollees? If so, they might be able to contribute next season.

I agree NC State and Pitt are a good test of how far we've come. Sagarin as of last week rates NC State 32, USF 34, and Pitt 40. Thus, we've already played a team of similar caliber. However we weren't ready for that kind of test when we played USF and it showed. Are we ready now? I'm glad we aren't playing either one next week. We can all see that greater upside is still possible this season.
Can you believe Temple beat USF?