I really believe this team will be an improvement ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I really believe this team will be an improvement ...

I think the team will be more fun to watch but not necessarily better. It is deeply flawed: no interior defensive presence being a huge issue for a zone team. We will be more wide open on offense but if our outside shots are not falling, we won't have a Rak to dump it to inside and bail us out.

I think many of our games' results will be tied very closely to our field goal percentage. The good news is we have more shooting options. TC will hopefully be more selective with the weight of the world not on his shoulders.

One thing to watch is how good G is in isolation. If he becomes effective taking his man off the dribble, that would be huge.

I think we can be a tourney team but pfister makes a compelling argument why that might not happen.
The most intriguing element may be the coaching challenges. JB and Mike Hopkins will both be tested and we'll get a glimpse of what we'll see in the post-JB era. Hopkins will be the coach for 9 games and though he'll be managing JB's team, for those 9 games he'll be the guy. What adjustments will each of them make to address our interior weaknesses? How will each manage the combinations of players on the floor? How will they manage Coleman & Chino? Should be fascinating...

Are we weak inside? Yes , esp when you think about depth. But whos going to destroy us down low? Unc? I think yes. Duke and Plumlee, not that scared; TRob has already shown he can play w Jefferson. UVa and Tobey? Not a mismatch for DC imo. Notre Dame and Augusta (sp?) again not a big mismatch for DC. UL and Onuaku? Not that scared. I got SU finsishing 6-7 in ACC and making tourney. But yes it could be a close call even if we stay healthy

I like how you spent the time going through the other lineups.

I'm thinking TR and TL together on defense might equal DC. Maybe this year down low we may be able to be successful with lots of weak side help coming over as needed. The 2-3 zone will need to be really good and fast at morphing when DC is not on the court. If we get 20+ wins I think we will be fine. The number of wins we get will do the talking. Maybe our outside shooting will surprise us on the upside making up for any big issues on defense.

Defense in the paint.

People forget that after McCullough went down Rak was our only reliable inside scorer. JB had Rak on a pretty tight leash, the primary goal was to keep him and his offense in the game. It became pretty obvious that the team minus Rak was a very weak offensive team.

Rak didn't play aggressive defense last season for a reason. This year it won't be super different defensively inside. Outside we could be a lot better offensively ...I hope.

Defense in the paint.

People forget that after McCullough went down Rak was our only reliable inside scorer. JB had Rak on a pretty tight leash, the primary goal was to keep him and his offense in the game. It became pretty obvious that the team minus Rak was a very weak offensive team.

Rak didn't play aggressive defense last season for a reason. This year it won't be super different defensively inside. Outside we could be a lot better offensively ...I hope.
Good points

I think the team will be more fun to watch but not necessarily better. It is deeply flawed: no interior defensive presence being a huge issue for a zone team. We will be more wide open on offense but if our outside shots are not falling, we won't have a Rak to dump it to inside and bail us out.

I think many of our games' results will be tied very closely to our field goal percentage. The good news is we have more shooting options. TC will hopefully be more selective with the weight of the world not on his shoulders.

One thing to watch is how good G is in isolation. If he becomes effective taking his man off the dribble, that would be huge.

I think we can be a tourney team but pfister makes a compelling argument why that might not happen.
Lots of good points in here, but a couple things I would add on the positive side. I can't argue with your concerns: interior offense and defense are going to take a hit. Chino has stiff hands and has not shown any moves. TR is crafty inside but undersized. And DC's coming off surgery. Although his recovery is amazing, he might not have enough explosion to score, defend or rebound against bigger ACC front lines (UVA, UNC for sure, LV, Duke, WF). This leaves us somewhat vulnerable inside. The lack of a shot-blocker on D could lead to PIP and rebounding problems. We're only plus 1 RBM after 2 games against D-II teams. And without inside scoring, we might be less balanced than last year and vulnerable to boom/bust one-dimensionalism (ala CJF's senior year).

But there's also an upside:

1) We're shooting the lights out. We've only played 2 exhibition games, but I haven't seen this kind of perimeter production since Scoop and BT were in our back court. MR is a gem. Not only does he look like the volume scorer we've been missing, he may be the most athletic kid on the team. The kid has pogo-sticks for legs, a good handle and he doesn't turn it over. I think at his size, he might struggle to rebound at the 3 against bigger teams (in these games, I like him at the 3 on O and the 2 on D). But after seeing him play, it looks like I under-predicted his ability to function at SF -- including scoring inside over size. TL is a WIP physically, but even at this stage, he has the stroke to draw defenders out of the lane. Our other second rotation guys also look good: FH shows poise and vision .. in addition to a nice outside shot. And for all those tying the noose around his neck last year, KJ is 5-9 from deep and has 2 TO's in 31 minutes. He's making better decisions, has put some range on his jumper and looks stronger. All of this depth will spread out defenses and give our starters (TC/G) more opportunities. Even better, if (as you predict for G) our guards can get in the lane, this will give our inside guys some easy baskets and and save us from being a jumpshooting team.

2) Our interior defensive problems could be negated somewhat by better perimeter defense. TC, G (who looks quicker this year) and MR are all decent defenders, and even our second rotation guys (FH and KJ) look serviceable defensively, although there is a little drop-off. As we start playing better teams, preventing penetration will be key .. as we won't block many shots and can't afford fouls. Therefore, with a much deeper and more experienced back court than last year, I think our perimeter defense will be better, somewhat negating Rak's absence on the interior.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the team play, but sounds like the 08 team that could lose games even when they scored in the 90's and I think over 100 to UMass...twice.

High flying, not much defense and little inside presence. Have a feeling we'll look like world beaters one day and like the worst team in the country the next. Should be a fun rollercoaster.

I'd rather lose that way than 53-47.

Difference being that the 08 team couldn't defend anywhere on the court. I think we will be ok perimeter-D wise. Hoping these guys take on a team rebounding mentality and we don't give up too many easy buckets down low.

shandeezy7 said:
Difference being that the 08 team couldn't defend anywhere on the court. I think we will be ok perimeter-D wise. Hoping these guys take on a team rebounding mentality and we don't give up too many easy buckets down low.
team reminds me ALOT of 2010...

team reminds me ALOT of 2010...

May I ask how?

There's no Wes Johnson, no AO, no RJ.

I'll go as far as calling MR and Wes a push which is pushing it but in zero way I see Roberson and Coleman even close to AO/RJ, offensively or defensively.

May I ask how?

I'll go as far as calling MR and Wes a push which is pushing it but in zero way I see Roberson and Coleman even close to AO/RJ, offensively or defensively.
hear what you're saying but I think TR this year can easily be > RJ in '10

May I ask how?

No, you may not ask that.

hear what you're saying but I think TR this year can easily be > RJ in '10

Maybe points and rebound #s but his presence on defense was excellent, something Roberson hasn't shown yet. And while athletic Roberson doesn't block many shots, something RJ did much better.

No, you may not ask that.

It's just odd to me that a team with such a different dynamic who was #1 in the country at one point and a NC favorite with AO. I don't see how they can be compared at all.

I would take MR over Wes. He had a great start but then hurt his hand and couldn't dribble if I remember correctly.

I could see Coleman turning into an AO caliber player.

Roberson/RJ is a wash as I loathe playing PF's that can't shoot but that's just my pretentious opinion.

It's just odd to me that a team with such a different dynamic who was #1 in the country at one point and a NC favorite with AO. I don't see how they can be compared at all.
I was just messing with you. And you are probably correct.

Maybe points and rebound #s but his presence on defense was excellent, something Roberson hasn't shown yet. And while athletic Roberson doesn't block many shots, something RJ did much better.
maybe, but I see Tyler (this year) as a net gain as a 4 over Ricky

I would take MR over Wes. He had a great start but then hurt his hand and couldn't dribble if I remember correctly.

I could see Coleman turning into an AO caliber player.

Roberson/RJ is a wash as I loathe playing PF's that can't shoot but that's just my pretentious opinion.

I love MR but Wes was absolutely amazing while he was here, he did have the injury but was still able to drop 30 points in a tournament game. Out of the three comparisons I think this one could be the closest.

I've never seen anything Coleman has done on the court that would even garner a comparison. AO was one of the best shot blockers the Orange has ever seen, was explosive going up with the ball and teams feared going into the paint against him. I don't think this is even close.

Again, I don't see how this is a wash at all. Rick Jackson was an excellent player who did amazing things for this program. Roberson was a solid rebounder and didn't do much else last year. If we needed a bucket the ball was fed into RJ and he made it happen some how.

I think AO and RJ are getting disrespected big time by comparing them to DC and TR. If they are able to play up to those levels then we're in excellent shape this year, but I just don't see it at all.

maybe, but I see Tyler (this year) as a net gain as a 4 over Ricky

If Tyler can be somewhat consistent I'd be closer to agreeing with you, but even if he did RJ was still a great player for us.

May I ask how?

It's great when I'm not the one saying the most stupid comment on the thread!

Wes Johnson was the Big East POY.

I'll be happy if Malachi is ROY in the ACC, but he's no Wes Johnson. And come on Gbinije is the best player on this team. Malachi might end up being the best shooter, but Wes did everything here on defense and rebounding as well.

I love MR but Wes was absolutely amazing while he was here, he did have the injury but was still able to drop 30 points in a tournament game. Out of the three comparisons I think this one could be the closest.

I've never seen anything Coleman has done on the court that would even garner a comparison. AO was one of the best shot blockers the Orange has ever seen, was explosive going up with the ball and teams feared going into the paint against him. I don't think this is even close.

Again, I don't see how this is a wash at all. Rick Jackson was an excellent player who did amazing things for this program. Roberson was a solid rebounder and didn't do much else last year. If we needed a bucket the ball was fed into RJ and he made it happen some how.

I think AO and RJ are getting disrespected big time by comparing them to DC and TR. If they are able to play up to those levels then we're in excellent shape this year, but I just don't see it at all.
RJ was actually a better shot-blocker all time than AO, but neither was top 10. But that's being picky .. since I agree with your point that DC2 and TR are not comparable to AO/RJ, which was one of the most potent front lines in our history and gave us a shot at a NC (before AO got hurt against Jorgetown).

Here's the link: http://cuse.com/documents/2010/5/4/FINAL2010.pdf?id=4120

two3zone said:
May I ask how? There's no Wes Johnson, no AO, no RJ. I'll go as far as calling MR and Wes a push which is pushing it but in zero way I see Roberson and Coleman even close to AO/RJ, offensively or defensively.
I'm not comparing them player by player. But it's a team that stretches the floor on O, led by big guards that handle and shoot. Couple of energy scorers off the bench. Solid inside on offense but not primary options. Weak on D inside. Thin up front. Will cause a lot of turnovers in other areas. Can get up and down the court.

I don't think Wes and Mali compare but I do think G and Wes do. That team had brains and shooters and they played well together. This team could do that.

two3zone said:
I love MR but Wes was absolutely amazing while he was here, he did have the injury but was still able to drop 30 points in a tournament game. Out of the three comparisons I think this one could be the closest. I've never seen anything Coleman has done on the court that would even garner a comparison. AO was one of the best shot blockers the Orange has ever seen, was explosive going up with the ball and teams feared going into the paint against him. I don't think this is even close. Again, I don't see how this is a wash at all. Rick Jackson was an excellent player who did amazing things for this program. Roberson was a solid rebounder and didn't do much else last year. If we needed a bucket the ball was fed into RJ and he made it happen some how. I think AO and RJ are getting disrespected big time by comparing them to DC and TR. If they are able to play up to those levels then we're in excellent shape this year, but I just don't see it at all.
AO was one of the best shot blockers the orange has seen? Lol. Your memory is fuzzy. He also wasn't explosive. He was a load down low that could make shots with either hand. AO was a nice player his senior year.

AO was one of the best shot blockers the orange has seen? Lol. Your memory is fuzzy. He also wasn't explosive. He was a load down low that could make shots with either hand. AO was a nice player his senior year.

AO wasn't explosive? When the ball was in his hands underneath it was an automatic two points by going up with extreme power and explosiveness.

He averaged about 2 blocks per 40 minutes his senior year, between our defense up top not allowing guys to come in, Rick and Wes on the wings, I can't imagine many good looks up close for opponents that year, something I think we'll have a problem with this year.

I love the thought of all these guys being open for three but I think there is a possibility Lydon, Cooney and maybe Joseph could have a hard time finding looks over time. Midseason defenses get even tighter and late february ones even tighter.

These first two games maybe we were getting our freshmens feet wet. But, we have 0 guys pushing confident isolation outside Joseph maybe cooney a bit. I think Malachi is leaning that way some. You would have a tough time finding one of our teams let alone a team we have played in the last 15 years that didn't run some isolation and cut down on the number of easy passes per possession by January.

I thought we would see alittle MCW/Wes Johnson Isolation crossbreed kind of game from Gbinije.
Not a knock but he had 0 boards last game, and 0 drives into the lane. Would love to see him grab 4-5 boards at guard and spend only 12-15 minutes at forward, and with Malachi in the game we can still run the fast break. But he has looked more like a spot up Preston Shumpert type early on, with ballhandling and perimeter passing skills. I don't think he had a drive and kick last game. He is dribbling the ball back slouched low true point guards have it waist high going into their shot/pass, if that continues I would call him more of a SF. Last year his drives favored halfcourt transition looks but unless JB had him holding off some for the fresh/sophmores then last years drives clearly didn't bring a above average level of confidence, or he would of been driving some early on. Would like to see Kaleb/Cooney get into the lane and make 5-6 pullups that way they can kick it out more and Gbinije can play SG. We don't need Kaleb/Cooney to attack all the way to the tin all that much we can save that for Malachi, Roberson and Gbinije maybe. The fastest guy doesn't have to be the one to attack the basket.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom