I really believe this team will be an improvement ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I really believe this team will be an improvement ...

We are one big away from the tourney. DC2 will get into foul trouble in the ACC, then what? So close..

I couldn't figure it out but now its clear this is the transition year for syracuse.com pessimists to head over to syracusefan.com or something.

AO wasn't explosive? When the ball was in his hands underneath it was an automatic two points by going up with extreme power and explosiveness.

He averaged about 2 blocks per 40 minutes his senior year, between our defense up top not allowing guys to come in, Rick and Wes on the wings, I can't imagine many good looks up close for opponents that year, something I think we'll have a problem with this year.
No he was not explosive. He was big. Rak by comparison was explosive. AO was one of my faves here but he was a 10/5 guy.

No he was not explosive. He was big. Rak by comparison was explosive. AO was one of my faves here but he was a 10/5 guy.

Yeah he was an OK shot blocker, but definitely not elite, and not even the best shot blocker on that team.

I think that I must be much more optimistic than you all. I think that this team can easily be a 3-5 seed in the tourney and will score a ton this year. I see Gbinije as a competitor for ACC player of the year and a second or third team All American sort of player. Our frontcourt will be fine or even good, with the exception of the 5 spot. I think what we underestimate is how much more important the pg and wings are than the bigs in college hoops. Because of the physical nature of play and the amount that refs let defenses get away with, smaller teams can compete on defense in college. We'll be above average (nationally) on defense and really good on offence. That's a good combination.

On the flip side, I'm probably not as optimistic about next year as you all seem to be. I think we have the potential to be really good, but it's not going to be easy to replace G, Cooney and possibly Coleman. Battle's a great recruit, but will he necessarily be able to Enjoy this year's team because there's a decent chance that it's better than next years.

I am feeling a little better about this smucks prediction at the beginning of the thread, Go Cuse!

I think that I must be much more optimistic than you all. I think that this team can easily be a 3-5 seed in the tourney and will score a ton this year. I see Gbinije as a competitor for ACC player of the year and a second or third team All American sort of player. Our frontcourt will be fine or even good, with the exception of the 5 spot. I think what we underestimate is how much more important the pg and wings are than the bigs in college hoops. Because of the physical nature of play and the amount that refs let defenses get away with, smaller teams can compete on defense in college. We'll be above average (nationally) on defense and really good on offence. That's a good combination.

On the flip side, I'm probably not as optimistic about next year as you all seem to be. I think we have the potential to be really good, but it's not going to be easy to replace G, Cooney and possibly Coleman. Battle's a great recruit, but will he necessarily be able to Enjoy this year's team because there's a decent chance that it's better than next years.

I'm sticking with what I said at the beginning of the year. Also, it's fun to go back and see what was said in this thread. A lot of truth and a lot of missed marks!

"I think that I must be much more optimistic than you all. I think that this team can easily be a 3-5 seed in the tourney and will score a ton this year. "

I'd be thrilled w a 6-7 seed.

fla St right now isnt looking any better at home against miami than they did at the Dome. That final game at fla st could be huge. I wonder if we will have a chance to get to 11-7 in acc? But i would be very happy at 10-8 and a 6-7 seed if they could pull it off somehow. Go Cuse!!

Last edited:
I think we will make the tournament this year and this team will be better than last years.

I'd be okay with a 12 seed at this point. Yeah, that means a sooner meeting with an elite seed, but who(m) is SU supposed to fear this year? Even Oklahoma doesn't quite have a Malachi to complement a Michael.

I'd be okay with a 12 seed at this point. Yeah, that means a sooner meeting with an elite seed, but who(m) is SU supposed to fear this year? Even Oklahoma doesn't quite have a Malachi to complement a Michael.
12 seed? Aim higher man.

We would need a few things to go wrong at this point to end up as a 12. If everything goes relatively smoothly this team will safely be in the 7-10 range. If things break right even higher still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom